Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Grand Slam / Loretta young

I caught Midnight Mary for the first time last year.

As precodes go, this film didn't strike me as gritty like Three On a Match, provocative/challenging like Baby Face, and I wasn't as emotionally involved by the fate of the lead actress as with Frisco Jenny.  The sexy Ricardo Cortez as a gangster is always fun to watch, though.  :)

I don't have time to write out the full plot, but basically Mary Martin is on trial for murder, and her life is told in flashbacks.  The ending is pure Hollywood.  Franchot Tone is kind of bland, but I liked Una Merkel.  (Joan Blondell would have been great in Una's role...)

MIDNIGHT MARY was made by MGM, which explains why it wasn't as gritty as some other precodes. Presumably none of their female stars were able, or willing, to do MM.

• Like 2

The other night, Loretta Young was an answer in Jeopardy!  They even showed a picture of her, but not one of the three contestants could identify her.  Even me, not being familiar with much of Young's work, but being familiar with Golden Era stars, was able to shout out the answer at home.  

It seems that Loretta Young, while a big name in her day, has not maintained her star status throughout the decades.  I'm sure if a photo of Humphrey Bogart or Cary Grant were shown instead (though it wouldn't have fit with the category: Famous "Youngs"), they would have been named instantly.  

• Like 2

I'll admit that I don't know much about Young or her career.  I only know about her rendezvous with Clark Gable and that her image in her pre-code films was quite different than her image in her television show.

Looking over my billions of films recorded on my DVR, I found that I have quite a bit of Loretta recorded.  With the exception of The Stranger which I have seen and enjoyed, are any of these films worthwhile? 

Call of the Wild

The Story of Alexander Graham Bell

The Bishop's Wife

The Stranger

Cause For Alarm

Rachel and the Stranger

While typically I don't like sentimental movies, I love COME TO THE STABLE, which stars Loretta Young and Celeste Holme as two nuns trying to raise money to start a hospital in a New England town called Bethlehem.

I especially like the part where the two travel to New York City by jeep to try to convince a bookie to donate his land in Bethlehem  to be the site of the hospital.

I love their reaction to the tickets they get from the NYC police and the way they are able to get to see the bookie in spite of his security.

1949cometothestable01.jpg

• Like 4

I know a lot of people don't care for her accent, and therefore, don't care for The Farmer's Daughter, but I love that movie. It's probably one of my favorites of her post code movies. It doesn't hurt that she has a great supporting cast.

And she's lovely in Laugh, Clown, Laugh. It's kinda creepy that her guardian is attracted to her, but it Chaney so I over look that aspect.

• Like 5

I'll admit that I don't know much about Young or her career.  I only know about her rendezvous with Clark Gable and that her image in her pre-code films was quite different than her image in her television show.

Looking over my billions of films recorded on my DVR, I found that I have quite a bit of Loretta recorded.  With the exception of The Stranger which I have seen and enjoyed, are any of these films worthwhile? 

Call of the Wild

The Bishop's Wife

The Stranger

Cause For Alarm

Rachel and the Stranger

Definitely recommend seeing all the films you've listed.The Call of The Wild is a favorite of mine and it's during the film that Clark and Loretta had their affair and she became pregnant according to the info disclosed. They were pretty convincing in the film that they were in love. The Bishop's Wife is a MUST see. One of the very best XMAS movies. Cast is great. The Stranger is another must seen again a great cast. Cause For Alarm is probably the weakest in terms of the story but Loretta is excellent in it..

• Like 3

speedracer5--A vote for seeing "Rachel and the Stranger" (1948).  Young costars with William Holden and Robert Mitchum.

Young is an indentured servant on the frontier to Holden.

A quiet drama-comedy where Young really shines.  Definitely one to be seen at least once.

• Like 6

Loretta is very good in "Along Came Jones", a western with Gary Cooper.  Also, fifteen years after her affair with Gable, they co-starred in "Key To The City".  I wonder if making that movie was uncomfortable for either of them.  

• Like 4

speedracer5--A vote for seeing "Rachel and the Stranger" (1948).  Young costars with William Holden and Robert Mitchum.

Young is an indentured servant on the frontier to Holden.

A quiet drama-comedy where Young really shines.  Definitely one to be seen at least once.

Rachel and the Stranger is a really good, under-rated little film. Loretta maintains a quiet dignity throughout, and her character is full of surprises.

Bonus: double eye candy !  William Holden and Robert Mitchum !

• Like 6

MIDNIGHT MARY was made by MGM, which explains why it wasn't as gritty as some other precodes. Presumably none of their female stars were able, or willing, to do MM.

Ah, okay, thanks, Arturo!  :)

I know a lot of people don't care for her accent, and therefore, don't care for The Farmer's Daughter, but I love that movie. It's probably one of my favorites of her post code movies. It doesn't hurt that she has a great supporting cast.

And she's lovely in Laugh, Clown, Laugh. It's kinda creepy that her guardian is attracted to her, but it Chaney so I over look that aspect.

I also love THE FARMER'S DAUGHTER, and I think that Loretta Young's Swedish accent as Katie Holstrom in the movie is actually pretty good.

I wasn't expecting to be so charmed by the movie, but I was, very much so.  

I saw it for the first time when TCM aired it as part of Loretta Young's Star Of The Month tribute a couple of years ago.

Katie's journey from farmer's daughter to thwarted nursing school student to maid to US Congress (!) is totally captivating.  

• Like 4

I also love THE FARMER'S DAUGHTER, and I think that Loretta Young's Sweedish accent as Katie Holstrom in the movie is actually pretty good.

I wasn't expecting to be so charmed by the movie, but I was, very much so.  

I saw it for the first time when TCM aired it as part of Loretta Young's Star Of The Month tribute a couple of years ago.

Katie's journey from farmer's daughter to thwarted nursing school student to maid to US Congress (!) is totally captivating.  

the January 2014(?) SOTM for Loretta was probably my favorite SOTM that they've done on TCM. It COMPLETELY changed my opinion of her, which before was "I like her, but eh" to pure love.

I loved MIDNIGHT MARY, thought she was great in BORN TO BE BAD (no relation to the Fontaine film) and MAN'S CASTLE, totally changed my mind on THE FARMER'S DAUGHTER (her Oscar win went down in the books as one of the biggest shockers in history, but of the five nominees, she really is the best), RACHEL AND THE STRANGER, and THE STRANGER (1946) with Orson Welles, which might well have been her finest hour.

She and Orson went back a good ways, they costarred on the radio at least of couple of times- in a Campbell playhouse version of THEODORA GOES WILD and a very good version of JANE EYRE.

HERE IS THE RADIO VERSION STARRING LORETTA AS JANE EYRE AND ORSON WELLES AS ROCHESTER:

• Like 3

Call of the Wild

The Bishop's Wife

The Stranger

Cause For Alarm

Rachel and the Stranger

Speedy, these are all worth watching, as you can gather by the comments here. The one not mentioned.is THE STORY OF ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL, released by Fox in 1939. This is also very good, imo, if best-known as Don Ameche's best-known role. It also has many well-known character actors, and a comic Henry Fonda, in supporting roles. Loretta plays the deaf wife of the inventor, who is spurred on by her condition to invent."the ameche". She is charming and moving in the role.

This was one of Loretta's last roles at 20th, possibly the last (I forget). She refused to renew with the studio, despite an immense salary increase, because of the cavalier fashion she felt she was being treated by Darryl Zanuck, the studio head. When she had signed with him, he had promised her all of the best roles, and was dismayed to find herself usually just the leading lady, with the plot revolving around the male star. TSOAGB is a good example of this. She was further miffed in this film, in that she wanted to play the character as the deaf-mute she was in reality, but Zanuck insisted she be deaf.only. She got a small revenge by having her real life sisters.play her reel life.sisters. In any case, none of the behind the scenes drama is visible on the screen, and she gives a winning performance.

• Like 6

Of the titles that you listed, I would say the one to definitely check out before all others is RACHEL & THE STRANGER.

It's a very compelling and well-done film, and one of Loretta strongest performances. She did it almost immediately after winning the Oscar ( was maybe even filming it when she won?) and it was RKOs highest grossing film of 1948.

• Like 4

Of the titles that you listed, I would say the one to definitely check out before all others is RACHEL & THE STRANGER.

It's a very compelling and well-done film, and one of Loretta strongest performances. She did it almost immediately after winning the Oscar ( was maybe even filming it when she won?) and it was RKOs highest grossing film of 1948.

Thanks for the recommendation. That's the one I'll start with.

• Like 1

Okay, on quick glance I see votes for "Rachel and the Stranger" from three different people here, so I, too, want to check this out... I'm not as familiar with Loretta's movies as I probably should be, based on the comments here.

• Like 1

I just put "Call of the Wild" in my rental queue. I've already been aware that this is the movie set where Gable and Young first began their affair, but I don't remember seeing this movie...

• Like 1

I just put "Call of the Wild" in my rental queue. I've already been aware that this is the movie set where Gable and Young first began their affair, but I don't remember seeing this movie...

Would that be based on the book about the wolf?

• Like 1

Would that be based on the book about the wolf?

Yes, it is an adaptation of the Jack London novel of the same name.

It was directed by William ("Wild Bill") Wellman.

The central character of the book is a sled dog named Buck who ultimately answers the "call of the wild" and joins a pack of wolves. 

302ef08a842d029def1fb2e0456a2e5a.jpg

Loretta-Young-Clark-Gable-Buck-and-Jack-

• Like 2

When one of MrTiki's sisters found out I was into classic movies she said she had seen half of a movie where:

"...the woman mails a letter that contains incriminating evidence and spends most of the movie desperately trying to intercept the mail...."

It took me awhile but I tracked it down to CAUSE FOR ALARM. Once she elaborated the movie star was "very pretty, with huge saucer eyes" it could only be Loretta Young (or Joan Blondell who never made a movie like that)

I was glad it showed on TCM shortly thereafter so I could record it for her to get "closure"! She loved it! 

• Like 3

When one of MrTiki's sisters found out I was into classic movies she said she had seen half of a movie where:

"...the woman mails a letter that contains incriminating evidence and spends most of the movie desperately trying to intercept the mail...."

It took me awhile but I tracked it down to CAUSE FOR ALARM. Once she elaborated the movie star was "very pretty, with huge saucer eyes" it could only be Loretta Young (or Joan Blondell who never made a movie like that)

I was glad it showed on TCM shortly thereafter so I could record it for her to get "closure"! She loved it! 

Joan was no Loretta, that's for sure.

CAUSE FOR ALARM is a good little film, perhaps Loretta's last.really good film. It is quite suspenseful. Loretta did a superb job in this movie imho. It is on TCM occasionally.

• Like 2

CAUSE FOR ALARM is a good little film, perhaps Loretta's last.really good film. It is quite suspenseful. Loretta did a superb job in this movie imho. It is on TCM occasionally.

CAUSE FOR ALARM! has fallen into the Public Domain and- like Loretta's other great turn in THE STRANGER- can be seen online for free, and maybe even in HD.

• Like 1