Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Grand Slam / Loretta young

beaux211

I know it's sort of a dorky little piece, but I try to catch Half Angel whenever it's on. 

hqdefault.jpg

Loretta plays a prim and proper nurse during the day but is a sexy alter-ego sleepwalker at night, going after Joseph Cotton, whom she dislikes during daylight hours.

I guess I like Loretta playing someone so un-Loretta's usual characters.

• Like 2

I know it's sort of a dorky little piece, but I try to catch Half Angel whenever it's on. 

hqdefault.jpg

Loretta plays a prim and proper nurse during the day but is a sexy alter-ego sleepwalker at night, going after Joseph Cotton, whom she dislikes during daylight hours.

Oh...SURE, Char!

You give us a picture of Loretta as the "prim and proper" alter-ego one here.

So, WHERE the heck is the the picture of the "SEXY SLEEPWALKER" one, HUH?!!!

(...boy, sometimes you women around here JUST don't know what it takes to grab a MALE classic movie fan's interest, DO ya?!!!)

;)

• Like 3

Oh...SURE, Char!

You give us a picture of Loretta as the "prim and proper" alter-ego one here.

So, WHERE the heck is the the picture of the "SEXY SLEEPWALKER" one, HUH?!!!

(...boy, sometimes you women around here JUST don't know what it takes to grab a MALE classic movie fan's interest, DO ya?!!!)

;)

Like this: 

Half+Angel+Young+Cotton.JPG

• Like 3

hqdefault.jpg

Thanks for mentioning Half Angel, one I haven't seen in ages.  I hope TCM will air it one day soon.  She and Joseph Cotten were an appealing match.

• Like 1

I know it's sort of a dorky little piece, but I try to catch Half Angel whenever it's on. 

Well I think you for posting it - I've never heard of it! Love your description of it & I'll look for it in upcoming schedules.

The other night, Loretta Young was an answer in Jeopardy!  They even showed a picture of her, but not one of the three contestants could identify her.  Even me, not being familiar with much of Young's work, but being familiar with Golden Era stars, was able to shout out the answer at home.  

It seems that Loretta Young, while a big name in her day, has not maintained her star status throughout the decades.  I'm sure if a photo of Humphrey Bogart or Cary Grant were shown instead (though it wouldn't have fit with the category: Famous "Youngs"), they would have been named instantly.  

Now that's sad. She was a big enough star and had such a huge tv presence, you'd think at least they'd recognize her picture!

Definitely recommend seeing all the films you've listed.The Call of The Wild is a favorite of mine and it's during the film that Clark and Loretta had their affair and she became pregnant according to the info disclosed. They were pretty convincing in the film that they were in love. The Bishop's Wife is a MUST see. One of the very best XMAS movies. Cast is great. The Stranger is another must seen again a great cast. Cause For Alarm is probably the weakest in terms of the story but Loretta is excellent in it..

Yes, Cause for Alarm is a nice little programmer. I think Loretta and her husband produced it

Now that's sad. She was a big enough star and had such a huge tv presence, you'd think at least they'd recognize her picture!

you know it's interesting,

i looked up LETTER TO LORETTA (aka THE LORETTA YOUNG SHOW) on wikipedia and was surprised to discover that it only placed in the top 30 Nielsons twice out of its eight seasons (it ran Sundays at 10:00.) that said, the "share" it got was "27"- which i think in modern day terms would be HUUUGE numbers (this was, of course, back in the days when TV was the thing and there were only 3 networks and no cable.)

also in re: LETTER TO LORETTA,

I desperately hope that- somewhere out there in TV Land- there is blooper footage of Loretta getting her dress caught while spinning through the door in the opening scene, ripping a tear in it and proceeding to let loose with a volley of expletives. 

• Like 1

i looked up LETTER TO LORETTA (aka THE LORETTA YOUNG SHOW) on wikipedia and was surprised to discover that it only placed in the top 30 Nielsons twice out of its eight seasons (it ran Sundays at 10:00.) that said, the "share" it got was "27"- which i think in modern day terms would be HUUUGE numbers (this was, of course, back in the days when TV was the thing and there were only 3 networks and no cable.)

Yes, that would be an ASTRONOMICAL rating nowadays. LOL.

To put it in perspective, the highest rated scripted show on TV this past season was The Big Bang Theory and it had a 7.8 share.

• Like 1

Their audience demo had to be HUGE for advertisers too; every little old lady in the country was staying up past their bedtime just to see "what Loretta will wear tonight."

Think of all the denture cream and borax and whatever the hell else they used back then you could sell to that market.

• Like 1

Their audience demo had to be HUGE for advertisers too; every little old lady in the country was staying up past their bedtime just to see "what Loretta will wear tonight."

Think of all the denture cream and borax and whatever the hell else they used back then you could sell to that market.

Yes, true. (unsure who Loretta's sponsor was though. LOL).

• Like 2

I desperately hope that- somewhere out there in TV Land- there is blooper footage of Loretta getting her dress caught while spinning through the door in the opening scene, ripping a tear in it and proceeding to let loose with a volley of expletives.

I seriously doubt that. Loretta was a bit of a control freak when it came.to her image. Any such footage, if it had been done, she would've personally ensured it was destroyed. I could see her yanking it out of the camera, exposing it, then shredding the sh** out of it, and setting it on fire. Nope, it doesn't exist.

I seriously doubt that. Loretta was a bit of a control freak when it came.to her image. Any such footage, if it had been done, she would've personally ensured it was destroyed. I could see her yanking it out of the camera, exposing it, then shredding the sh** out of it, and setting it on fire. Nope, it doesn't exist.

LOL.  Yes, very true. In fact, when the series went into syndication, Loretta sued NBC (or whoever was marketing it) in order to edit out her entrances as she claimed it would leave her open to ridicule for wearing out of date fashions etc. and I believe she won the lawsuit (of course they are included today). Much comment was made about Loretta's court appearances (I think this was in the late 60s or thereabouts). Loretta being dressed to the nines and never wearing the same outfit twice! :D

• Like 1

And putting some change in the swearbox afterwards. I'm pretty sure Carol Burnett or some comedy show did a send up this very thing......

• Like 1

You're right.

I can even imagine her- if given no other recourse- EATING the film to prevent its getting out.

• Like 3

I would bet you next to anything the Carol was a big fan of Loretta's show. The camp is strong.

Carol Burnett has made TV Guide Magazine's cover 19 times (including the Fall 2015 special collector's edition), including in 1961, when she was voted Favorite Female Performer for the TV Guide Awards, against insane competition: Barbara Stanwyck, Dina[h] Shore, Donna Reed and Loretta Young!

Burnett was so sure she'd lose she came to the awards telecast in a $20 skirt and blouse, then wandered off before her category was announced. "It was my first award, and winning it meant the world to me," she recalls. "It's still proudly displayed in my den. And I'm still in shock!"

from tvINSIDER, January 21, 2016 

• Like 3

Yes, true. (unsure who Loretta's sponsor was though. LOL).

I had to look it up.  Proctor & Gamble were the sponsors for the first 7 seasons of her show.  I discovered this tidbit in the Archive of American Television website.  Part of the Emmy's and just a rabbit hole of curiosities.  

• Like 2

Every so often ME-TV airs episodes of The Loretta Young Show. I try to watch each time they're shown. There is also a religious station that airs the episodes that deal with religion. Either Loretta would be a nun or visit a religious site like Lourdes.

TCM did a very good birthday tribute to Loretta. It was before this last one, probably around 2008 or 2009. A few films that aren't shown very often were aired. The Accused was one.

FOX RETRO does show a few Loretta films. Mother Is A Freshman with Van Johnson is shown every so often and her films with Tyrone Power and Born To Be Bad with Gable.

I'm a fan of Loretta's and like and love many of her films very much. The Farmer's Daughter is probably her finest performance, although I think she was an excellent actress in all her films that I've seen (that's quite a few). She was  excellent in comedies and dramas and one of the most beautiful faces ever in films.

• Like 3