Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Grand Slam / Loretta young

Every so often ME-TV airs episodes of The Loretta Young Show. I try to watch each time they're shown. There is also a religious station that airs the episodes that deal with religion. Either Loretta would be a nun or visit a religious site like Lourdes.

TCM did a very good birthday tribute to Loretta. It was before this last one, probably around 2008 or 2009. A few films that aren't shown very often were aired. The Accused was one.

FOX RETRO does show a few Loretta films. Mother Is A Freshman with Van Johnson is shown every so often and her films with Tyrone Power and Born To Be Bad with Gable.

I'm a fan of Loretta's and like and love many of her films very much. The Farmer's Daughter is probably her finest performance, although I think she was an excellent actress in all her films that I've seen (that's quite a few). She was  excellent in comedies and dramas and one of the most beautiful faces ever in films.

THE ACCUSED has another very good performance from Loretta, in this noirish melodrama from the late 40s.

FXM Retro does show some of Loretta's films. Besides those you mentioned, they also show the aforementioned HALF ANGEL, COME TO THE STABLE, THE STORY OF ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL. Been awhile, but they've also shown RAMONA, LADIES IN LOVE, as well as the other comedies with Tyrone Power, and their SUEZ, also KENTUCKY, WIFE HUSBAND AND FRIEND. PLus some early films when it was 20th Century Pictures, besides BORN TO BE BAD. A good channel to get a Loretta fix, whether early in her film career or much later.

I've read that The Barbara Stanwyck Show was created in large part because of the popularity of the L.Y. Show.

Would love to see some episodes from that series (Jane Wyman had one too). It only lasted one season, but she won an Emmy for it.

THE ACCUSED has another very good performance from Loretta, in this noirish melodrama from the late 40s.

I was lucky enough to catch THE ACCUSED (1949) online, it was pulled soon after and it has never to my knowledge aired on TCM- not even during LoYo's SOTM tribute.

It is one kooky movie.

Keep in mind- this is my memory of it from one viewing 5ish years ago:

It starts out very serious- the story of a repressed college professor "spinster" played by our girl Lo; she kindasorta passively instigates something with a male student of hers and they go out together at  night to a lake where he attempts to r ape her in a scene that is as graphic and disturbing as anything I have seen in a film from that time. It pulls no punches; neither does Ms. Yo, who clobbers the creep with an oar (I think) and kills him.

Way to go Lo.

From thereon though, the weirdest thing happens and- I kid you not- it turns into a borderline comedy romantic love triangle where Lo is torn between the officer investigating her and....i think a fellow faculty member. My recall is foggy on the deets. One is played by Robert Cummings, the other is played by a guy who is not Robert Cummings, which as far as I am concerned ends the discussion.

Thereafter there are A LOT of INTERNAL MONOLOGUE scenes, which is some sloppy, soap-opera-assed storytelling technique and it gets to a point where it is downright campy.

Loretta is excellent in it; and the attack scene is brilliantly done by everyone, it draws you in completely. 

I don't know who to blame for its bizarre second act, maybe the studio stepped in and demanded this be a "Loretta Young" picture, maybe the director dropped the ball- I dunno. I guess it's possible Loretta made the call, but again she is EXCELLENT (clearly committed 100%) in the first half- were the second half of the picture better, it might be one of those films people still talk about.

It's still REALLY worth watching as an artifact and curiosity of its time, although it's confounding to see such a great, moody, well-lit and well acted start just go off the rails by the end.

• Like 1

I saw it many years ago on the late show, but don't remember much about it.

I'm surprised I remember as much as I do...I really remember being STUNNED at how GRAPHIC the assault scene is, and not just because it's happening to Loretta Young. It's on a par with the scene in THE DAMNED DON'T CRY where David Brian beats the hell out of Joan Crawford- just wow.

• Like 1

it's one of those films that a also is WORTH SEEING for its TIME CAPSULE-like contents of various attitudes and positions of the time, some are right, some are wrong. Again, I'd need to see it again, but i recall it actually has some interesting things to say about victims become accused themselves (the title is a play on that), the legal system, women's rights; etc.

• Like 1

Somewhere I have a vhs copy of THE ACCUSED. I probably recorded it from AMC back in the day. I know it's been many years since I've seen it. Wonder if there's a commercial release of this on dvd.

Somewhere I have a vhs copy of THE ACCUSED. I probably recorded it from AMC back in the day. I know it's been many years since I've seen it. Wonder if there's a commercial release of this on dvd.

God Bless AMC Back in the Day.

Just checked amazon, and apparently someone was selling a bad bootleg DVD of a VHS copy through the site for one entry, "the item is currently unavailable" is what it says for the other.

does not look like it has ever had a "legit" vhs or dvd release. i want to say from my recollection that the print i saw online was fine and did not have issues (you notice the trailer i posted was not the greatest quality.)

• Like 1

I've read that The Barbara Stanwyck Show was created in large part because of the popularity of the L.Y. Show.

I didn't know that Barbara Stanwyck had a TV series named after her.

Was it a comedy?

I knew that she was in the series THE BIG VALLEY. 

I think that one was originally aired in the 1960s.

I didn't know that Barbara Stanwyck had a TV series named after her.

Was it a comedy?

I am pretty sure it followed the same format as Loretta show, each episode each week was a different story and a different character for the lead.

I didn't know that Barbara Stanwyck had a TV series named after her.

Was it a comedy?

She did.  As I think Hibi mentioned, it was a short-lived program (1 season) but she won an Emmy for it.  It was an anthology series starring her in each story, and she was also the "host".  In these stories she also at times teamed up with her past movie co-stars, like Dana Andrews.  You could see their chemistry at even this stage (imo, of course).

One of the reasons (I've read) that her show didn't succeed was that she was too stiff and unnatural as a hostess, and she was compared unfavorably to Loretta Young in her own show.

• Like 1

I am pretty sure it followed the same format as Loretta show, each episode each week was a different story and a different character for the lead.

Yes, it was the same type of show, with Barbara starring in a different teleplay every week. It aired in the late 1950s.

It's really heartbreaking. I'm so far behind on my Paramount titles.

It's frustrating beyond belief. At least in the old AMC days you could count on seeing Paramount movies on TV. :(

I was lucky enough to catch THE ACCUSED (1949) online, it was pulled soon after and it has never to my knowledge aired on TCM- not even during LoYo's SOTM tribute.

As I wrote THE ACCUSED HAS been shown on TCM. I watched the film I believe during a Birthday Tribute to Loretta in either 2008 or 2009. TCM showed it and also showed Paula and about 8 other Loretta films. The Accused was also shown at least 1 other time and I also watched the film when it was shown that time.

• Like 1

i found this in the imdb trivia entry for THE ACCUSED (1949):

"Lux Radio Theater" broadcast a 60 minute radio adaptation of the movie on March 28, 1949 with Loretta Young and Robert Cummings reprising their film roles.

i HAVE SEARCHED ONLINE, INCLUDING THE ARCHIVE.ORG SECTION FOR THE LUX RADIO THEATER (AND IT'S EXTENSIVE) AND HAVE NOT FOUND THIS EPISODE.

i'll shut up about THE ACCUSED in a little bit, i promise.

again- if any of you get the chance to see it, lemme know what u think, i saw where it was based on a novel, so maybe there is a copyright issue on it that runs deeper than just the Paramount issue.

AS I RECALL, the film does not blame Loretta's character for what happens- the attack and the death of her attacker- if It did, i could maybe undertsand why it's so hard to find (but even if i did, i feel like showing some of the wrong attitudes from the past can be constructive.) yes, she instigates what really is an innapropriate relationship with one of her students (as i recall, she basically agrees to go with him on a date) but the minute he chooses to attack her:

1. she's right to clobber the sucker

and

2. the movie's sympathies (and thus, the audience's) are with her.

there's no second guessing or judging about it, and that's at least not one of the problems with the movie that i recall having.