Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Grand Slam / Loretta young

I don't know if it's been mentioned already, but I love Loretta in Employees' Entrance (1933) where she appeases to Warren William for a job at his department store and then meets a great guy.

employees-entrance.jpg

Yes, that's a nice little pre-code.

• Like 1

As I wrote THE ACCUSED HAS been shown on TCM. I watched the film I believe during a Birthday Tribute to Loretta in either 2008 or 2009. TCM showed it and also showed Paula and about 8 other Loretta films. The Accused was also shown at least 1 other time and I also watched the film when it was shown that time.

Wish I'd noticed that! I havent seen the film in many years. One of those late show films I never saw on cable over the years......

Wish I'd noticed that [the accused (1949) aired on TCM ca. 2008]! I havent seen the film in many years. One of those late show films I never saw on cable over the years......

Me too!

(I stand corrected in re: the film airing on TCM.)

Hopefully it'll run again, the subject matter is very timely.

I don't know if it's been mentioned already, but I love Loretta in Employees' Entrance (1933) where she appeases to Warren William for a job at his department store and then meets a great guy.

I love EMPLOYEES' ENTRANCE.

Loretta Young was only around 20 years old when she made that movie.

42-madeleine.jpg

It's an interesting scene when the womanizer played by Warren William offers the great guy that Loretta Yoiung meets a position as his second-in-command at the department store, but wants to first make sure he's not married since he would need to be available at all times. The guy asks Warren William's character somewhat nervously, "Don't you like women?'"

• Like 2

I love EMPLOYEES' ENTRANCE.

Loretta Young was only around 20 years old when she made that movie.

42-madeleine.jpg

It's an interesting scene when the womanizer played by Warren William offers the great guy that Loretta Yoiung meets a position as his second-in-command at the department store, but wants to first make sure he's not married since he would need to be available at all times. The guy asks Warren William's character somewhat nervously, "Don't you like women?'"

Oh yeah. I read EMPLOYEE'S ENTRANCE 100% as "William's character is gay" and all his machinations and games are motivated by his desire to be with the male lead- Loretta is merely a pawn in his sinister chess game of sport ****ery.

The film is a delicious buffet of issues, I've said this before, but even the title is rife with double entendre.

Love Loretta in that picture. She's like some sort of exquisite fawn.

• Like 2

I have discovered a new one (for me).  

It Happens Every Thursday

it-happens-every-thursday.jpg

The story line at first seems suspiciously similar to Penny Serenade. It even has Edgar Buchanan.  But it takes departures in the plot that give it a charm of its own.  The supporting cast is an excellent odd-ball crew of characters actors, and all conspire to put out a local newspaper that Happens Every Thursday.  Cute.

Loretta handles it all with her gracious aplomb, and it is clever, bursting with ideas Loretta and their new home town. 

• Like 1

Imagine (if you will) the following scenario as the greatest unfilmed episode of THE LORETTA YOUNG SHOW.

CAUSE FOR ALARM!

BEVERLY HILLS, 1961- EARLY MORNING

Loretta calls upstairs to Judy to be ready for the car to take them to the studio for rehearsals. Judy comes down wearing a pair of very short shorts- Loretta has a hissy and orders her to "get back upstairs and change out of those hysterectomy pants!" after which a spat ensues wherein the following exchange occurs on the staircase:

JUDY

Oh, mother, weren't you ever young?

LORETTA

Listen here MISSY: I've always been nothing less than a lady

in the public eye. I always listened to the word of God and my mother

for guidance and I never- never- in all the years

I've worked in this town done anything that was low, tawdry or cheap!

(raises arm)

Now get upstairs and change, and say FIFTY HAIL MARYS as you do it.

AND PIN BACK YOUR EARS IF YOU INSIST ON WEARING YOUR HAIR UP!

Flash forward to a few days later:

Sunday Morning.

Judy comes into the west room as Loretta arranges a bunch of gladiolas in a vase:

LORETTA

Good morning Judy.

JUDY

Good morning mother

LORETTA

Don't forget dinner is at eight tonight, I need you

to pick up Nana. Everyone is coming

and we're watching the show at ten.

JUDY

Oh, don't worry, mother, I'll be home all evening.

LORETTA

Oh rare occasion, what for?

JUDY

Didn't you know? They're showing some of your movies

tonight on the Z Channel. It's in the listings.

LORETTA

Which ones?

JUDY

They're all from the thirties...

LORETTA FREEZES.

JUDY

(reads from paper)

Starting at 11:00, right after your show ends, so we

can all watch.

Loretta resumes arranging the gladiolas.

LORETTA

(Her face a death mask)

Oh? Which ones are they showing?

JUDY

One's called "Employee's Entrance"

Loretta- her back to Judy- widens her eyes in terror.

She closes them and begins to mouth the Lord's Prayer.

JUDY

What is that, some sort of an employee safety film or something?

LORETTA

(comes to, resumes snipping)

What are the others?

JUDY

Well, this is funny, one is "Born to be Bad."

That doesn't sound like one of yours.

Loretta peers skyward.

JUDY

And the last one is "Midnight Mary."

Loretta swoons briefly and mouths a very dirty word.

Loretta then sends Judy out of the room, drops a twenty in the swear jar and runs upstairs to fetch a mink and touch up her face.

The next shot is of Loretta peeling out of her garage in her Cadillac, on her way to the Z Channel Station to make her way into the control room by whatever means necessary.

• Like 2

Loretta swoons briefly and mouths a very dirty word.

Loretta then sends Judy out of the room, drops a twenty in the swear jar and runs upstairs to fetch a mink and touch up her face.

With all the references to Loretta Young and the swear jar, I had to do an internet search and discovered that she supposedly actually did bring a swear jar to the set of her movies!

f54de3d7c9d4477f0b768cdf6adbf537.jpg

• Like 3

With all the references to Loretta Young and the swear jar, I had to do an internet search and discovered that she supposedly actually did bring a swear jar to the set of her movies!

f54de3d7c9d4477f0b768cdf6adbf537.jpg

Oh yeah, and the TV Show too.

I dunno if you've seen the actual CAUSE FOR ALARM! with Loretta from 1951, but it is in the public domain and can be viewed- maybe even in HD- online.

MY FAVORITE THING ABOUT IT IS, as I recall- right after her husband tells her he has mailed a letter framing her as his murderer and kills himself right in front of her- but before she chases down the mailman to trace where the letter might be, LORETTA TAKES, LIKE, FOUR MINUTES IN REAL TIME TO TOUCH UP HER FACE AND FIX HER HAIR, BECAUSE OF COURSE IF ANYONE SEES YOU WITHOUT YOUR FACE ON, THE WORLD WILL KNOW SOMEHOW THAT **** JUST GOT REAL AND YOU GOT TO AT LEAST ACT AS IF AIN'T NOTHING WRONG.

Loretta was a MASTER of playing this type of scenario- fits her like a glove.

it's a fun movie, worth checking out.

• Like 4

Yes, the plot is a bit ridiculous, but she does her best to make it work. And it moves at such a fast clip, you dont have much time to think how implausible it all is...........It's kind of like an extended version of one of her tv show episodes....

One of the Loretta Young-Tyrone Power comedies will be on FMC this Friday morning. CAFE METROPOLE (1937) is quite charming, with Loretta as an heiress smitten by Power, an impoverished American playing a rich Russian prince.

Will get back here with time of the showing.

• Like 1

I dunno if you've seen the actual CAUSE FOR ALARM! with Loretta from 1951, but it is in the public domain and can be viewed- maybe even in HD- online.

MY FAVORITE THING ABOUT IT IS, as I recall- right after her husband tells her he has mailed a letter framing her as his murderer and kills himself right in front of her- but before she chases down the mailman to trace where the letter might be, LORETTA TAKES, LIKE, FOUR MINUTES IN REAL TIME TO TOUCH UP HER FACE AND FIX HER HAIR, BECAUSE OF COURSE IF ANYONE SEES YOU WITHOUT YOUR FACE ON, THE WORLD WILL KNOW SOMEHOW THAT **** JUST GOT REAL AND YOU GOT TO AT LEAST ACT AS IF AIN'T NOTHING WRONG.

Loretta was a MASTER of playing this type of scenario- fits her like a glove.

it's a fun movie, worth checking out.

Thank you very much recommending CAUSE FOR ALARM! (Yes, the exclamation mark is part of the movie's title just as with another Loretta Young movie TAXI!)

At first glance I thought you wrote that the movie was in 3-D!

I watched most of it online last night and finished it tonight.

The movie features a score by  André Previn and hairstyles by Sydney Guilaroff (the man responsible for the "damn good actress" sound bite that used to be heard regularly on TCM).

In Loretta's defense for for taking the time to "pretty herself" before heading for the post office to try to retrieve the letter, the husband's aunt did make a point of telling her how awful she looked moments before.

This movie was indeed a lot of fun. I had no idea how Loretta was going to get out of this mess (everything seemed to go so wrong) so the suspense factor was definitely there.

Some of my favorite moments were the look on Loretta Young's face when the husband told her what he did to the boy who tried to take his bottled ship and how he destroyed the ship rather than let someone else have it and the part where Loretta blotted up the spilled jam from the aunt's skirt. 

• Like 2

Talking about the movie, has me wanting to see it again. (haven't in a long time). It's a nice little programmer. And Loretta really goes through the wringer. Talk about a bad day!!!

• Like 1

One of the Loretta Young-Tyrone Power comedies will be on FMC this Friday morning. CAFE METROPOLE (1937) is quite charming, with Loretta as an heiress smitten by Power, an impoverished American playing a rich Russian prince.

Will get back here with time of the showing.

CAFE METROPOLE will be on FMC @ 6 am est, 3 am pst, this Friday, 6/17.

I really wish I got FMC.

I'd have to pay more to get it.

I really wish I got FMC.

I'd have to pay more to get it.

It can be viewed as an unnecessary expense, especially when classic films are on only 12 hours daily, and frequently repeated.

Does FMC have commercials?

Not the classic half of the.day, now known as FXM Retro, except between movies. The other half, featuring fairly recent films, does have commercial breaks during the movies, as well as between them. Mostly, they advertise Fox films.and tv shows, on both 12 hour segments.

Not the classic half of the.day, now known as FXM Retro, except between movies. The other half, featuring fairly recent films, does have commercial breaks during the movies, as well as between them. Mostly, they advertise Fox films.and tv shows, on both 12 hour segments.

And do they edit any of the movies they show for content?

And do they edit any of the movies they show for content?

Not that I'm aware of. What they can do is pan and scan some of the widescreen films; these have a disclaimer, I think, at the start of the movie.

Not that I'm aware of. What they can do is pan and scan some of the widescreen films; these have a disclaimer, I think, at the start of the movie.

So, in their night schedule one would see sexual content, nudity, extreme violence - hear the f-word - that sort of thing?

So, in their night schedule one would see sexual content, nudity, extreme violence - hear the f-word - that sort of thing?

possibly......but since there are commercial interruptions, I never watch this half of the channel.

• Like 1

It can be viewed as an unnecessary expense, especially when classic films are on only 12 hours daily, and frequently repeated.

I used to have FMC via DirecTV, but it disappeared one day and is now in a higher priced package.  They offer free trials now and then, so I'll binge watch.  I remember they used to show Midnight Lace a lot, one I'd like to see on TCM.  Or maybe I've just missed it.