Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Grand Slam / Loretta young

Rachel and the Stranger is a really good, under-rated little film. Loretta maintains a quiet dignity throughout, and her character is full of surprises.

Bonus: double eye candy !  William Holden and Robert Mitchum !

RACHEL AND THE STRANGER is scheduled to air on TCM on July 11!

• Like 3

Thanks, Holden.

You're welcome.

In August there are at least two Loretta Young movies on TCM's schedule:

THE STRANGER on August 1 (which is Edward G. Robinson's Summer Under The Stars day)

LADIES IN LOVE on August 12 (Janet Gaynor's day)

In this movie from 1936. Loretta Young is one of a trio of working class Hungarian girls.

The movie also stars Constance Bennett as the third girl and features a very early film appearance by Tyrone Power (billed as Tyrone Power Jr).

• Like 1

So, in their night schedule one would see sexual content, nudity, extreme violence - hear the f-word - that sort of thing?

Yeas. Every once in awhile a movie I really want to see will only air overnight, like FRANCES (1982)  Watching the recording, I briefly saw bare buttocks. Amazing they scheduled it "late night" because of that one teeny scene.

The fantastic movie HAWAII (1966) has zero chance of ever being shown in primetime only for the scene of "native women" greeting the ships topless.

I find this kind of censorship silly, but then again, I'm a fully mature person.

I saw "Frances" in a theater when it was first released.  Later, I purchased it on VHS and realized that it was a different version.  The rape scene in the institution was edited severely.  I have seen several versions released on DVD, one of which retains the scene, the other has the edit.

I saw "Frances" in a theater when it was first released.  Later, I purchased it on VHS and realized that it was a different version.  The rape scene in the institution was edited severely.  I have seen several versions released on DVD, one of which retains the scene, the other has the edit.

She was ahead of her time - and was punished for it pretty severely.

You're welcome.

In August there are at least two Loretta Young movies on TCM's schedule:

THE STRANGER on August 1 (which is Edward G. Robinson's Summer Under The Stars day)

LADIES IN LOVE on August 12 (Janet Gaynor's day)

In this movie from 1936. Loretta Young is one of a trio of working class Hungarian girls.

The movie also stars Constance Bennett as the third girl and features a very early film appearance by Tyrone Power (billed as Tyrone Power Jr).

I dont think I've seen Ladies in Love. I'm looking forward to Janet Gaynor day!

Is there a word for the Loretta Young Renaissance "moment" the boards seem to be having right now?

LoRenaissance?

Lo-Yo-Ressance?

Not much else going on. LOL.

Don Ameche gets bigger billing than Tyrone Power!

Ladies in Love was the second film Power got any screen credits.    The following year  Ameche and Power did another film,  Love is News and Power got higher billing then Ameche and never received anything less then top billing.

darkblue said - "Don Ameche gets bigger billing than Tyrone Power!"

But look who got their picture on the poster!

It is possible the poster was created a year or two after the film's initial release when the film was reissued and Power was a major star.

e.g. Johnny Doesn't Live Here Anymore was re-released as a Robert Mitichum and Simone Simon film after Mitchum because a major star.     For Ladies in Love Simon was being promoted as the newcomer with the use of 'with' (in her prior film it was 'introducing').

It is possible the poster was created a year or two after the film's initial release when the film was reissued and Power was a major star.

e.g. Johnny Doesn't Live Here Anymore was re-released as a Robert Mitichum and Simone Simon film after Mitchum because a major star. For Ladies in Love Simon was being promoted as the newcomer with the use of 'with' (in her prior film it was 'introducing').

And because of very strict contract issues that regulated billing. They could put his face on the poster but NOT make his name bigger or more prominent than Ameche's.

What order you go in the billing us one of the few aspects of a contract that gave actors some degree of Leverage.

That profile of Ty (Jr. No less!) is killer though. If you have a profile like that in your movie, by all means put it on the poster.

I finally got to watch "Call of the Wild" tonight...

Set in 1900, Jack Thornton (Gable) meets up with his friend Shorty (Jack Oakie), who has a map showing a gold mine. They join forces and head for the Yukon. On the way Thornton rescues an aggressive St. Bernard sled dog, Buck, from being shot.

Eventually they meet up with Claire Blake (Young), whose husband has the original map that Shorty holds. Claire and her huband met with misfortune and she has no idea where he is. Jack and Shorty take her with them.

Shorty eventually leaves the group and Claire and Jack go on to more adventures. They, naturally, fall in love...

I don't want to give more of the plot away, but want to say what I love about this movie -

I love the gorgeous location scenes, filmed in Washington state. I would love to see this on the big screen. For now, though, it's on my DVD wish list.

Love the scenes between Buck the dog and Gable. Loved the scene with the dog straining to pull a heavy sled on a bet, to get to Gable, and the loving look he gave Gable at the end of it.

I liked Jack Oakie. His was a sweet character. He pretty nearly stole the scenes from Gable.

Loretta was okay. As in Midnight Mary, she was good, but didn't knock me off my feet. At least, compared to hunky Clark and the cute dog. ;)

This poster is very illuminating, for several reasons. I don't think it came out much after the film's release. If so, Power's name would have been much more prominent; he became a star with his next film, LLOYDS OF LONDON, vaulting a virtual unknown to the big leagues (more on that in a bit). Actually, as Loretta Young's love interest in LADIES IN LOVE, Power shared in HER spotlight; she is much more prominent than Janet Gaynor and Constance Bennett and Simone Simon. Darryl Zanuck was pushing her as his top female star at his newly created 20th Century Fox.

To this end, he decided to demote the reigning female star of Fox Films, Janet Gaynor. Gaynor had started to slip at the boxoffice, and Zanuck didn't see her as fitting in long-term. So he yanks her out of two properties bought for her, WAY DOWN EAST and BANJO ON MY KNEE (done by Rochelle Hudson and Barbara Stanwyck, respectively). And the film he does give her, LIL, is hardly a showcase for her, since it features stories of four women. And her picture being smaller than Loretta's, and the same size as the other two women, underlined the studio machinations going on, proclaiming her no longer having an exalted.position at the studio.

Constance Bennett's popularity had plummeted in the previous two years or so, and she had yet to get a second wind with screwball comedies (although that was around the corner). Zanuck had used her in his 20th Century Films, and was friendly with her. So despite his doubts that she could again become a top draw, he faithfully offered her roles occasionally over the years. And Simone Simon, Zanuck had hoped would become a huge star in the English speaking world. But she reputedly had too much of an accent, or so it was said, and role after role meant for her did not materialize. Her debut earlier in 1936, GIRLS DORMITORY, was a disaappointment compared to the ambitious plans prreviously announced; a programmer where she shared the spotlight with Ruth Chatterton and Herbert Marshall. LADIES IN LOVE was seen as a safe bet, as the focus was not on her that much. Her best role at the studio would be the remake of Janet Gaynor's SEVENTH HEAVEN in 1937, which was to have costarred a suddenly hot Power, but the studio used a miscast.James Stewart.

Ironically, GD is now known because Ty Power made his debut at the studio in this, in a bit at the end. He drew fan mail and comments, and the studio gave him a more substantial role in LIL, and then the main role in LLOYDS OF LONDON. In doing so, they bypassed Don Ameche, then the more promising male.actor at the studio. Ameche had debuted a year before, starring Iin dual roles in THE SINS OF MAN. He would also be Young's leading man in RAMONA, and was expected to be this also in LLOYDS OF LONDON. But after Power was cast, Loretta balked at taking a back seat to promote a new star, and she dropped out. She and Power did remain friends, and costarred z number of times. And Ameche did become a star, although he would be featured woth Power in a number of popular films in ths late 30s, although Ameche got the lower billing. Sort of like Gable-Tracy at MGM during this time.

So this one poster can say quite a bit about studio dynamics at that moment.

This poster is very illuminating, for several reasons. I don't think it came out much after the film's release. If so, Power's name would have been much more prominent; he became a star with his next film, LLOYDS OF LONDON, vaulting a virtual unknown to the big leagues (more on that in a bit). Actually, as Loretta Young's love interest in LADIES IN LOVE, Power shared in HER spotlight; she is much more prominent than Janet Gaynor and Constance Bennett and Simone Simon. Darryl Zanuck was pushing her as his top female star at his newly created 20th Century Fox.

To this end, he decided to demote the reigning female star of Fox Films, Janet Gaynor. Gaynor had started to slip at the boxoffice, and Zanuck didn't see her as fitting in long-term. So he yanks her out of two properties bought for her, WAY DOWN EAST and BANJO ON MY KNEE (done by Rochelle Hudson and Barbara Stanwyck, respectively). And the film he does give her, LIL, is hardly a showcase for her, since it features stories of four women. And her picture being smaller than Loretta's, and the same size as the other two women, underlined the studio machinations going on, proclaiming her no longer having an exalted.position at the studio.

Constance Bennett's popularity had plummeted in the previous two years or so, and she had yet to get a second wind with screwball comedies (although that was around the corner). Zanuck had used her in his 20th Century Films, and was friendly with her. So despite his doubts that she could again become a top draw, he faithfully offered her roles occasionally over the years. And Simone Simon, Zanuck had hoped would become a huge star in the English speaking world. But she reputedly had too much of an accent, or so it was said, and role after role meant for her did not materialize. Her debut earlier in 1936, GIRLS DORMITORY, was a disaappointment compared to the ambitious plans prreviously announced; a programmer where she shared the spotlight with Ruth Chatterton and Herbert Marshall. LADIES IN LOVE was seen as a safe bet, as the focus was not on her that much. Her best role at the studio would be the remake of Janet Gaynor's SEVENTH HEAVEN in 1937, which was to have costarred a suddenly hot Power, but the studio used a miscast.James Stewart.

Ironically, GD is now known because Ty Power made his debut at the studio in this, in a bit at the end. He drew fan mail and comments, and the studio gave him a more substantial role in LIL, and then the main role in LLOYDS OF LONDON. In doing so, they bypassed Don Ameche, then the more promising male.actor at the studio. Ameche had debuted a year before, starring Iin dual roles in THE SINS OF MAN. He would also be Young's leading man in RAMONA, and was expected to be this also in LLOYDS OF LONDON. But after Power was cast, Loretta balked at taking a back seat to promote a new star, and she dropped out. She and Power did remain friends, and costarred a number of times. And Ameche did become a star, although he would be featured with Power in a number of popular films in ths late 30s, but Ameche got the lower billing. Sort of like Gable-Tracy at MGM during this time.

So this one poster can say quite a bit about studio dynamics at that moment.

• Like 3