Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Grand Slam / Loretta young

beaux211

I finally got to watch "Call of the Wild" tonight...

Set in 1900, Jack Thornton (Gable) meets up with his friend Shorty (Jack Oakie), who has a map showing a gold mine. They join forces and head for the Yukon. On the way Thornton rescues an aggressive St. Bernard sled dog, Buck, from being shot.

Eventually they meet up with Claire Blake (Young), whose husband has the original map that Shorty holds. Claire and her huband met with misfortune and she has no idea where he is. Jack and Shorty take her with them.

Shorty eventually leaves the group and Claire and Jack go on to more adventures. They, naturally, fall in love...

I don't want to give more of the plot away, but want to say what I love about this movie -

I love the gorgeous location scenes, filmed in Washington state. I would love to see this on the big screen. For now, though, it's on my DVD wish list.

Love the scenes between Buck the dog and Gable. Loved the scene with the dog straining to pull a heavy sled on a bet, to get to Gable, and the loving look he gave Gable at the end of it.

I liked Jack Oakie. His was a sweet character. He pretty nearly stole the scenes from Gable.

Loretta was okay. As in Midnight Mary, she was good, but didn't knock me off my feet. At least, compared to hunky Clark and the cute dog. ;)

LOL. I've read they kept a lady dog that was "in heat" around to keep Buck enthusiastic in his scenes (particularly the sledding scenes) Then the poor dog didnt get his reward!

LOL. I've read they kept a lady dog that was "in heat" around to keep Buck enthusiastic in his scenes (particularly the sledding scenes) Then the poor dog didnt get his reward!

Yes, the commentator went on about that, too.  Once the dog reached Gable after pulling the heavy sled (Gable was calling him on), they whisked the dog in heat into a limousine.  Gable said - and I think he was serious - that the dog never trusted him again...

Yes, the commentator went on about that, too.  Once the dog reached Gable after pulling the heavy sled (Gable was calling him on), they whisked the dog in heat into a limousine.  Gable said - and I think he was serious - that the dog never trusted him again...

Yes. LOL!

• 1 month later...

A reminder that's LADIES IN LOVE is airing tomorrow April 12 at 12 midnight Eastern Time as part of Janet Gaynor's Summer Under The Stars day.

ladies-in-love-janet-gaynor-constance-be

Holden, thanks for the reminder. It's also great seeing a few other of Gaynor's titles from Fox, when she was one of the very biggest stars of the first half of the 1930s.

Holden, thanks for the reminder. It's also great seeing a few other of Gaynor's titles from Fox, when she was one of the very biggest stars of the first half of the 1930s.

Yeah, you'd never know it from the few titles they occasionally show on TCM. A rare day! Looking forward to watching as many as I can, or I should say, rewatching.

Seeing this thread reappear reminded me, (and I just saw him on QVC), that Isaac Mizrahi in the documentary UNZIPPED had a fall/winter collection totally inspired by a viewing of CALL OF THE WILD.

Here's a clip from UNZIPPED where Isaac Mizrahi talks about THE CALL OF THE WILD as an inspiration for his 1994 fall collection and specifically mentions the scene where Clark Gable discovers Loretta Young freezing in the tundra.

Another inspiration was THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW, and in this clip Mizrahi walks in snow-covered Central Park singing a bit of that show's theme song, even throwing his hat (well, actually head band) in the air as Mary Richards did in Minneapolis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzt_d8eA_m8

• Like 2

I enjoyed Ladies in Love. Hadnt seen it before. I've only seen a handful of Gaynor sound films as she worked most of her career at Fox and those rarely are shown on TCM. She made some wonderful silents (two of which were shown in primetime, Street Angel and Lucky Star) Still waiting on TCM to show Seventh Heaven. :(

• Like 2

I enjoyed Ladies in Love. Hadnt seen it before. I've only seen a handful of Gaynor sound films as she worked most of her career at Fox and those rarely are shown on TCM. She made some wonderful silents (two of which were shown in primetime, Street Angel and Lucky Star) Still waiting on TCM to show Seventh Heaven. :(

Although this thread is about Loretta Young I thought I'd mention something about Janet Gaynor after reading Hibi's comment.

"Ladies In Love" was the last film Gaynor made for Fox (other than the 1957 film Bernadine). It had already become 20th Century Fox and Darryl Zanuck didn't have much interest in Gaynor. He wanted to pair her with other female co-stars as he did in this film which infuriated her. So she quit after being with Fox over 10 years and signed on with David Selznick.

I wasnt sure if it was her last film, but I knew it was near the end. Once Zanuck took over Fox (in '35?) he had no interest in Gaynor and considered her old hat. He brought in a bunch of new people like Loretta Young. So she left. She didnt do too badly with Selznick as she did the original Star is Born soon after.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

On Friday December 2  as part of its Myrna Loy Star Of The Month tribute TCM is an airing THE TRUTH ABOUT YOUTH (1930) and  THE SQUALL (1929).

Both of these also feature early performances by Loretta Young.

Both movies air in the overnight hours.

Just a warning. The Squall is a really awful early talkie. Only worth watching for laughs, if you can stand the time between the laughs. Myrna plays a naughty gypsy who seduces all the local menfolk! Loretta has a nothing part. Lots of bad acting and static photography/direction....

Just a warning. The Squall is a really awful early talkie. Only worth watching for laughs, if you can stand the time between the laughs. Myrna plays a naughty gypsy who seduces all the local menfolk! Loretta has a nothing part. Lots of bad acting and static photography/direction....

Have you seen THE TRUTH ABOUT YOUTH?

-but is IS pretty campy, as I remember ;)

Have you seen THE TRUTH ABOUT YOUTH?

I'm not sure about that one. I'll have to look it up.

After checking the synopsis I'm sure I have. But I dont remember much about it. (meaning probably not really GOOD, but not really AWFUL).....Another movie where Myrna had the better part.

• 1 month later...

Tomorrow (01/06/17) TCM is airing 4 Loretta Young movies during the daytime hours.

The Loretta-fest kicks off with KEY TO THE CITY, where she re-teams with Clark Gable 15 years after their first appearance together in THE CALL OF THE WILD.

The other movies scheduled are RACHEL AND THE STRANGER and two pre-code movies, THE LIFE OF JIMMY DOLAN with Douglas Fairbanks Jr. in the title role and TAXI! with James Cagney.

• 3 months later...

Tomorrow afternoon (April 27) TCM is airing MIDNIGHT MARY, a pre-code directed by William Wellman and starring Loretta Young in the title role. 

I missed this one the last time it aired and have been looking forward to seeing it.

midnight-mary-1933.jpg

I LOVE this movie....it may be my favorite Pre-Code, and it's the picture that totally converted me to a Loretta Young fan.

(and thanks for the alert!)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's Ricardo Cortez day! The rascal. (aka Jacob Krantz from NYC! No Latin, he ) LOL.

Yes, he was actually Jewish, the son of a kosher butcher.

He immersed himself in his "Latin lover" persona so much that his first wife actually believed it for the first year of their marriage.

Here's an article about him from THE FORWARD written by a distant cousin:

http://forward.com/culture/216481/the-latin-lothario-who-wasn-t-but-he-was-jewish/

• Like 1