Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Handsome men who did not become movie stars

Rory Calhoun probably does not belong in this thread, since he did become a movie star (and later a TV star)...but I think he could have been "bigger" and am surprised his career didn't reach the heights of other matinee idols in the 40s and 50s.

A few nights ago I watched WAY OF A GAUCHO on Starz. It's in Technicolor, sumptuously filmed on location in Argentina. He is at his peak, physically, in this film. He seems almost ethereal, maybe because working with the beautiful Gene Tierney brought something out in him. Usually in his westerns at Fox and Universal, he's a little more rugged, less glamorous looking. His close-ups in WAY OF A GAUCHO are extraordinary.

Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 7.43.27 AM.jpg

• Like 2

TopBilled, I'm glad to learn of your opinion of this movie.  Unfortunately, I missed it a few weeks ago when it was shown.  But I'm sure it will be on again sometime soon. This is one movie I've never seen,  In fact, I had practically forgotten all about it.  And I'm curious about the chemistry between the two stars, since I'm so fond of both.  When I do see it, you can be sure that I'll be looking for those close-ups.

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, Terrence1 said:

TopBilled, I'm glad to learn of your opinion of this movie.  Unfortunately, I missed it a few weeks ago when it was shown.  But I'm sure it will be on again sometime soon. This is one movie I've never seen,  In fact, I had practically forgotten all about it.  And I'm curious about the chemistry between the two stars, since I'm so fond of both.  When I do see it, you can be sure that I'll be looking for those close-ups.

It's a beautiful film...the scenery is beautiful, the two lead stars are beautiful, the use of Technicolor is outstanding.

If you subscribe to Starz streaming, you can watch it anytime you like. It was recently added to the lineup. 

Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 12.30.24 PM.png

It's true that he has the potential of being a great dancer.  Such a shame that it was not put to use on the show.  Plus, he also has a great singing voice.  A few years ago, he appeared at the Hollywood Bowl in a concert version of "The Music Man".  How I would love to have seen that.  In addition to all of that, he's mighty easy on the eyes!

• Like 2
5 hours ago, jinsinna13 said:

I've been watching Will & Grace reruns, and I love Eric McCormack, especially when he dances. It's a pity he never showed off his killer moves in movies.

Great scene -- a ripoff of this scene from The Nanny:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, jinsinna13 said:

Matt LeBlanc kisses with the best of them

Chandler was suppose to be gay in the original pilot but they straighten him out- too bad because he does have good chemistry with Joey

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, jaragon said:

Chandler was suppose to be gay in the original pilot but they straighten him out- too bad because he does have good chemistry with Joey

There is a lot of slash fiction out there with Chandler and Joey as lovers. (I must warn you, though, once you start you start reading it, you can't stop.) Matt LeBlanc could turn Matthew Perry and David Schwimmer gay with his good looks, if you know what I mean.?

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, jinsinna13 said:

There is a lot of slash fiction out there with Chandler and Joey as lovers. (I must warn you, though, once you start you start reading it, you can't stop.) Matt LeBlanc could turn Matthew Perry and David Schwimmer gay with his good looks, if you know what I mean.?

I'm a big fan of slash fiction and have written some of it myself- and yes I do agree with you the charms of Mr LeBlanc and his effect on "straight"men

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

He was probably born to be pants-less too. LOL

Can you imagine Clint as Tarzan?  Actually he would have made the ideal Edgard Rice Burroughs hero

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, jaragon said:

Can you imagine Clint as Tarzan?  Actually he would have made the ideal Edgard Rice Burroughs hero

You're right. That was a missed opportunity.

• Like 1
On 5/26/2018 at 10:38 AM, jaragon said:

The next best thing....

Mike Henry did three of them.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, DougieB said:

Then next best thing....

3448777946_8d00b6d175_z-mike-henry-tarzan1.jpg

Mike Henry did three of them.

Of all the screen Tarzans, Mike Henry had the shortest loin cloth.

How he managed not to "pop out" is beyond me!

He made his three films back-to-back and was scheduled for the TV series.

On 5/7/2018 at 4:36 AM, rayban said:

Actor Dennis Cole 

Surprising he did not become a major star-- no idea why. I'd forgotten he was married to Jaclyn Smith for awhile.

Screen Shot 2018-05-27 at 12.43.27 PM.jpg

• Like 2