Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hammer Horror Monster Mash Up

jaragon

Hammer probably felt they were "above" such silly shenanigans. The later Universal movies were considered by many critics as goofy and disrespectful to the originals. Which is nonsense, imo. 

Also, would Christopher Lee play Dracula and Frank's Monster and the Mummy?

Hammer probably felt they were "above" such silly shenanigans. The later Universal movies were considered by many critics as goofy and disrespectful to the originals. Which is nonsense, imo. 

Also, would Christopher Lee play Dracula and Frank's Monster and the Mummy?

I agree with you about the later Universals -- I like them very much. I think I probably disagree with you about the Hammer remakes of Universal monsters, though. I'm not a huge fan. I do remember liking The Scars of Dracula very much (which is never shown when TCM inundates us with Hammer films). In looking at the credits for Scars, I wonder if I prefer it because it was directed by Roy Ward Baker, whose color work I find preferable to Terence Fisher's. I do like some of Fisher's earlier work, from the non-horror Wicked Lady to Hammer's Curse of the Werewolf.

​And I do like this Hammer lady (as I've said often):

rep3.png

I really like Curse of Frankenstein and Horror of Dracula and The Mummy, but the sequels got increasingly worse. Peter Cushing was always a dependable presence, and he could make the silliest scripted dialogue sound important. The main issue with the Hammer films for the longest time was that they tended to be so serious, which could be interesting at first, but gets tedious when the scripts aren't up to par.

Other Hammer's that I like are The Curse of the Werewolf, The Reptile, Plague of the Zombies, The Devil Rides Out (I'm honestly surprised you didn't like that one, Swithin), Kiss of the Vampire, The Brides of Dracula, The Gorgon, The Vampire Lovers, Countess Dracula, and Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter.

I really like Curse of Frankenstein and Horror of Dracula and The Mummy, but the sequels got increasingly worse. Peter Cushing was always a dependable presence, and he could make the silliest scripted dialogue sound important. The main issue with the Hammer films for the longest time was that they tended to be so serious, which could be interesting at first, but gets tedious when the scripts aren't up to par.

Other Hammer's that I like are The Curse of the Werewolf, The Reptile, Plague of the Zombies, The Devil Rides Out (I'm honestly surprised you didn't like that one, Swithin), Kiss of the Vampire, The Brides of Dracula, The Gorgon, The Vampire Lovers, Countess Dracula, and Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter.

It's funny that you said you were surprised that I didn't like The Devil Rides Out because I didn't say that. But I actually wasn't crazy about it (I didn't dislike any of  the Hammers; I just didn't like them very much). Shortly after I got a PAL VCR many years ago, I was excited to find a video of The Devil Rides Out in London. I didn't know the film, and what I read about it made it sound great -- but it didn't grab me. I was, however, surprised to see the great classical actress Gwen Ffrangcon-Davies, nearly 80 at the time, cavorting around half dressed! Ffrangcon-Davies was Juliet to Gielgud's Romeo in 1924. She was London's premiere Mary Tyrone in 1958.

I do remember liking Countess Dracula.

Thank you, TB! 

I have to take a close look at the October schedule. Just checked quickly -- I see that great horror classic, North by Northwest is on.

LOL...yes. I'd expect PSYCHO to air in October instead of NORTH BY NORTHWEST. Or THE BIRDS.

It's funny that you said you were surprised that I didn't like The Devil Rides Out because I didn't say that.

I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth, I thought you had listed the ones that you liked in your previous post. Forgive my unconscionable presumption.

I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth, I thought you had listed the ones that you liked in your previous post. Forgive my unconscionable presumption.

You read my mind -- that amused me. I meant to say something about that film, and my thoughts were transmitted all the way down the East Coast!

Archived