Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Alexis Arquette (1969-2016)

jakeem

Alexis Arquette, a transgender performer and member of a renowned acting family, has died at the age of 47. The grandchild of comedian Cliff Arquette -- best remembered for his folksy character Charley Weaver -- Alexis was the sibling of actors Rosanna Arquette, David Arquette, Richmond Arquette and Academy Award-winner Patricia Arquette. Their father Lewis was an actor, too.

Born Robert Arquette, Alexis made the transition to female 10 years ago. The decision was explored in the 2007 documentary "Alexis Arquette: She's My Brother."

hqdefault.jpg

Arquette in "The Wedding Singer"

Among Arquette's movie appearances: "Last Exit to Brooklyn" (1989), "Pulp Fiction" (1994), "The Wedding Singer" (1998, as the keyboard player and vocalist George), "Bride of Chucky" (1998), "She's All That" (1999), "Lords of Dogtown" (2005) and "Blended" (2014, a reunion with "The Wedding Singer" stars Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore).

As a preteen, Arquette appeared as the youngster in The Tubes' 1983 music video "She's a Beauty." It was directed by choreographer/filmmaker Kenny Ortega ("Hocus Pocus," the "High School Musical" trilogy).

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2016/09/11/alexis-arquette-dead/90227518/

• Like 3

What a thoughtful write-up! Thanks.

I was very surprised to read this today.

Life is SO HARD for transgender people, it's really disheartening how short many of their life spans are. And Alexis was lucky in that she had a very supportive family and career.

Sadly, there are many others who do not.

• Like 5

He was memorable as Georgette in 1989's "Last Exit to Brooklyn," which was a genuine trip to Hell.

He also had a interesting role in Richard Glatzer's 1993 film, "Grief".

He was also a member of the large cast of the engaging 1997 comedy, "I Think I Do".

He had quite a career, making about 40 films in all.

As per Alexis' wishes, his loved ones cheered as he transitioned to another dimension.

• 5 months later...

Incredibly, Alexis Arquette was NOT included in last night's "In Memoriam" section on The Oscars telecast.

With so much coverage of the transgender issue in the media, this omission was a serious misstep for The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Alexis Arquette gained screen immortality in the film version of "Last Exit to Brooklyn".

He gave a brave and fearless performance.

• Like 1

I had heard that one of the many Arquettes(now, THERE'S a dynasty for ya!) was transgender, but not which one it was.  Nor that the person had died.

I also didn't know that was Alexis in "The Wedding Singer".  It's the only Sandler movie I ever liked, and thought the character that Alexis did was a hoot.  And as she WAS from a long established and popular show-biz family, passing her over "in memoriam" was criminal.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I had heard that one of the many Arquettes(now, THERE'S a dynasty for ya!) was transgender, but not which one it was.  Nor that the person had died.

I also didn't know that was Alexis in "The Wedding Singer".  It's the only Sandler movie I ever liked, and thought the character that Alexis did was a hoot.  And as she WAS from a long established and popular show-biz family, passing her over "in memoriam" was criminal.

Sepiatone

Alexis Arquette made a lot of gay indies - notably "Grief" and "I Think I Love You".

He was quite the actor.

Two of my wife's sisters were over yesterday for a visit, and I brought up the Oscar "gaffe", and I mentioned my membership in this forum and how a lot of us were discussing the omissions from the "In Memoriam" segment.  When I mentioned Alexis as an omission, one of the sisters mentioned one of the Arquettes spoke out publicly about it somewhere, but she was fuzzy on any details.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Two of my wife's sisters were over yesterday for a visit, and I brought up the Oscar "gaffe", and I mentioned my membership in this forum and how a lot of us were discussing the omissions from the "In Memoriam" segment.  When I mentioned Alexis as an omission, one of the sisters mentioned one of the Arquettes spoke out publicly about it somewhere, but she was fuzzy on any details.

Sepiatone

I think that Patricia Arquette spoke about the omission of her brother in the "In Memoriam" tribute to the monthly publication, "Vanity Fair".

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings