Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is your avatar?

On the other forum site I frequent, we pretty much made this a game where you explain what your avatar is, so I figured I'd start one on here, too.

My avatar is a cartoon caricature of "The One and Only" Groucho Marx, taken from an episode of Steven Spielberg's Animaniacs, entitled "Video Review", which was a modern day tribute to the Looney Tunes shorts that featured living books in a library (i.e. Have You Got Any Castles? [1938]), only it was movies at a video store. He appeared when a copy of Duck Soup (1936) appeared on the screen.

On the other forum site I frequent, we pretty much made this a game where you explain what your avatar is, so I figured I'd start one on here, too.

My avatar is a cartoon caricature of "The One and Only" Groucho Marx, taken from an episode of Steven Spielberg's Animaniacs, entitled "Video Review", which was a modern day tribute to the Looney Tunes shorts that featured living books in a library (i.e. Have You Got Any Castles? [1938]), only it was movies at a video store. He appeared when a copy of Duck Soup (1936) appeared on the screen.

My avatar along with my username speaks for itself.

PS:  At the start my avatar was a pretty gal like Ava Garner or Martha Vickers but that confused other users as it relates to my gender.   I found this picture of Cagney playing guitar and that was it.

Mine is always a photo of Errol Flynn; except for briefly I was Mary Astor when I was showing solidarity for another board member. Other than that, I'm always reppin' a photo of Mr. Flynn--my love.

• Like 1

My avatar is an aerial shot of one of the coolest stadiums built for a World Cup soccer tournament.  It's a photo of Mbebele Stadium in Nelspruit, South Africa.  Used for the 2010 World Cup, the seats were patterned after a zebra's stripes, and the outside supports (in orange) resembled giraffes.  There were other sculptures and statues outside the stadium to highlight the region's bountiful and diverse wildlife.

• Like 3

Bogie in "Deadline USA," the best newspaper movie ever made, IMHO. I spent 30-some years in the newspaper business before being forced by closures and layoffs into five years of marketing/communications contract jobs. Then just this year I somehow managed to get back on part-time at a newspaper, a gig I hope to keep going until I retire in two years.

• Like 3

Bogie in "Deadine USA," the best newspaper movie ever made, IMHO. I spent 30-some years in the newspaper business before being forced by closures and layoffs into five years of marketing/communications contract jobs. Then just this year I somehow managed to get back on part-time at a newspaper, a gig I hope to keep going until I retire in two years.

Nice to see Deadline USA get noticed since it is a fine film and one of Bogie's better 50s films.     

As for 'best newspaper movie';   if one is talking about serious films I can agree, with His Girl Friday being the best comedy newspaper film. 

When I saw this photo of Gloria Swanson smoking, I thought it was the perfect avatar for me-especially since she's holding the butt like a doobie!

I relate to the rebellious flapper image since I was a hard core punk rocker in my 20's complete with tattoo, piercing, pink hair & crazy clothing (as part of the fashion industry) I had met Swanson when I was 17 and she was a tiny elegant sweet old lady, not the rebel flapper illustrating that history is cyclical & people mature & evolve.

Everything rebellious & shocking becomes old hat eventually. Just like myself!

• Like 2

For many years I was content having no avatar here, just one of those shadowy images that the board automatically generates.

Then, about a year ago, I was conversing with another board member here and during a reply a quote from Psycho (1960) somehow seemed appropriately related to the topic of our conversation.

One thing led to another, and I found this picture of Tony Perkins, and claimed it as an avatar that I would use for myself here.

Too lazy to change it, so there you are.

• Like 2

When I saw this photo of Gloria Swanson smoking, I thought it was the perfect avatar for me-especially since she's holding the butt like a doobie!

I relate to the rebellious flapper image since I was a hard core punk rocker in my 20's complete with tattoo, piercing, pink hair & crazy clothing (as part of the fashion industry) I had met Swanson when I was 17 and she was a tiny elegant sweet old lady, not the rebel flapper illustrating that history is cyclical & people mature & evolve.

Everything rebellious & shocking becomes old hat eventually. Just like myself!

yur much pretitier than her, Tiki.

Not bloody likely. Nothing more boring, predictable, and cliched than any movie connected with Christopher Guest! 

WOW! Gotta say Swithin, your take on fellow Anglophile, The 5th Baron Haden-Guest of Great Saling in the County of Essex, is kind'a surprisin' me here?!!

(...colour, ahem, COLOR me perplexed here, dude!)

;)

For my avatar, I have opted for the timeless elegance of the gray silhouette.  Always in style, exuding class with a hint of mystery.

Well you could also have use an early picture of Myrna Loy.     Either way I like your style and your class as well as your political smarts.   

Well you could also have use an early picture of Myrna Loy.     Either way I like your style and your class as well as your political smarts.   

Thanks, James.  That's probably the nicest thing anyone here has ever said to me.  Much appreciated, and right back at ya.

Actually, I'm just too lazy to put up a photo.  If I were to do so, it would be Vera Ralston, star of the movie which is the source of my screen name.