Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Over rated directors?

MacCaulayConnor

Stanley Kubrick, post-Strangelove. Those that I have seen made after 1964 alienate me because of their coldness and the difficulty in connecting with their characters.

His earlier films, on the other hand, The Killing, Paths of Glory, Spartacus, Lolita, Dr. Strangelove, are terrific, for the most part.

• Like 2

The tides of critical favor shift so much that Samuel Fuller, once shamefully neglected, is now the most overrated director of the classic era. The strength of his directing is too often undermined by the weakness of his writing. The opening scene of Shock Corridor, imaginatively directed but atrociously written, shows the problem at its most acute.

• Like 1

I have a hard time answering this topic, because even those "highly rated" directors whose work I don't usually necessarily care for, I can respect that others like them, and I can't dismiss their appreciation of them.

Sticking with classic films, that would include Douglas Sirk and Vincente Minelli, both very highly thought of, but neither of whom made the kinds of movies that I'm crazy about.

• Like 1

The tides of critical favor shift so much that Samuel Fuller, once shamefully underrated, is now the most overrated director of the classic era. The strength of his directing is too often undermined by the weakness of his writing.

Thanks for adding some substance here with regards to Fuller.     Yea,  Fuller films might have been improved and more consistent in their quality if he had worked with a solid screenwriter (and let that person have a say).       I still enjoy his noir films Pick-Up on South Street (even with the anti-commie theme),  Crimson Kimono (his most sensitive film) and the late cycle noir Underworld USA.  

• Like 1

To me an overrated director is someone who should be highly rated, but has become overexposed.  

Example-- Alfred Hitchcock. Brilliant. But anyone who's seen NORTH BY NORTHWEST and PSYCHO can figure it out on their own he was a master. So why keep repeating it.

Instead, focus on the brilliant ones nobody knows much about. In my view that would be Marc Allegret who does such superb work in BLANCHE FURY that even Hitchcock couldn't have topped it.

"Over Rated" has become such a catch-all phrase that really comes down to personal opinion. I agree with Lawrence's assessment that only you can answer that for yourself. I love Kubrick & Minnelli's work, but can see why other's would not.

I can't stand John Ford's directing style, but can still enjoy some of his movies due to strong script or good acting skills. I think Hitchcock is a heavily lauded director and while I enjoy his films, often find his direction heavy handed.

But I'm not the ONLY PERSON sitting in the theater....

I just cannot understand the appeal of Tim Burton as a director. I think his stories fall flat, his actors are flat and the music annoying. It certainly doesn't help that he uses the same stable of talent every time!

Do I think he's over rated? Well that's a matter of opinion, I realize he's the darling boy of goth kids everywhere because of the subjects he chooses.

Same with Spielberg...while he has made more universally appealing movies than Burton, I don't find his work that great. At least Spielberg's films are more successful overall in storytelling than Burton. He has better writers & editors that "make" the films better.

• Like 1

"Over Rated" has become such a catch-all phrase that really comes down to personal opinion. I agree with Lawrence's assessment that only you can answer that for yourself. I love Kubrick & Minnelli's work, but can see why other's would not.

I can't stand John Ford's directing style, but can still enjoy some of his movies due to strong script or good acting skills. I think Hitchcock is a heavily lauded director and while I enjoy his films, often find his direction heavy handed.

But I'm not the ONLY PERSON sitting in the theater....

I just cannot understand the appeal of Tim Burton as a director. I think his stories fall flat, his actors are flat and the music annoying. It certainly doesn't help that he uses the same stable of talent every time!

Do I think he's over rated? Well that's a matter of opinion, I realize he's the darling boy of goth kids everywhere because of the subjects he chooses.

Same with Spielberg...while he has made more universally appealing movies than Burton, I don't find his work that great. At least Spielberg's films are more successful overall in storytelling than Burton. He has better writers & editors that "make" the films better.

Y aneone likes burton movies is beyond me.

Just TRY telling some Millennial kid--the kind that calls 80's movies a "genre"--that us geezers who were alive in the 80's couldn't stand John Hughes.

Yes, we liked Ferris Beuller, but we liked it for miraculously being one of his good films, and they didn't happen often, even though he cranked out three or four a year under various directors.

(Remember when we wanted to kill Titanic and Twilight for being in theaters for months?  Some were there the year Home Alone opened...)

And now we have a generation that thinks Bob Clark was a "genius" of the same decade for making "A Christmas Story".  That's called a selective memory.

The Breakfast Club Ferris Bueller.

And I'm a geezer.

With you on that one, Lawrence.

Also, if there are really Millennials who thought of Bob Clark as a genius, because he made the most iconic Christmas movie, they probably never heard of Baby Geniuses and Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2, which he also directed. Uggghhh...

• Like 1

The Breakfast Club Ferris Bueller.

And I'm a geezer.

That's just it--Everyone remembers Hughes for the "teen dramas" and the Molly Ringwald films, and not for "Uncle Buck" being in theaters for two flippin' months!!

And I wasn't even that great on The Breakfast Club, as you could probably do a good self-segregating-teen-cliques drama today (this was three years before "Heathers"), if it wasn't written by some immature guy in his forties desperately trying to smooch up and blame Anyone Over Thirty.

Haven't checked Guinness lately, but I recall Hughes having gotten the actual "Fastest Screenplay" record at one point for writing Ferris, Breakfast, and Weird Science in four days.  Even then, I remember thinking they LOOKED like it.

T-Newton

Also, if there are really Millennials who thought of Bob Clark as a genius, because he made the most iconic Christmas movie, they probably never heard of Baby Geniuses and Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2, which he also directed. Uggghhh...

Nobody remembers Turk 182, except that there was a movie from That Decade with the funny title, and even I had forgotten Loose Cannons until someone mentioned it on the Gene Hackman thread.

Clark was reasonably good at horror (Murder by Decree is one of the great Sherlock Holmes films, hands down), but anything else sort of....looked like it was From the Director of Porky's.

But, in favorable contribution, Clark may have inspired the obnoxious director that Alan Alda outwits in "Sweet Liberty".

Yeah, I recall at the time his reputation wasn't that great. Generally regarded as a hack with a few moments of inspiration, but a nose for churning out modest hits. His relatively young death, coupled with the ever rising nostalgia tide, elevated his standing, as it often does.

With you on that one, Lawrence.

Also, if there are really Millennials who thought of Bob Clark as a genius, because he made the most iconic Christmas movie, they probably never heard of Baby Geniuses and Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2, which he also directed. Uggghhh...

I would not use A Christmas Story as evidence of directorial brilliance.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings