Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
otterhere

TCM Underground

So what's the concensus out there on these??? I have diligently recorded several (trying to be open-minded here, although I DON'T like the "changes" on TCM), but every time I've caught a glimpse as I cue up to record the next thing, I get creeped out; they look like of dark and weird and sick and, well, reeeeally weird. Anyone?

I love TCMU. If you're not into cult films, then I can see where it wouldn't have much appeal. But they're showing important movies, Rob Zombie is an excellent host, and the whole thing has been a resounding success IMO.

It's a change for TCM, but a good one. Some are dark and sick and quite weird, but they're also very good.

I can't stand Rob Zombie, but even I have to admit he is a wonderful host! Not just the things he says, but the way he says them is very intelligent and respectful.

Except for the intro on the first two shows, I have never seen either the movies, or what goes on between them - the commercials turn me off completely, they do not encourage me AT ALL to watch the shows. As soon as RZ finished speaking, I changed the channel, altho since the beginning, I have watched very little TCM on Friday night. It may not be TCMU, but in most Friday night cases, they have shown movies I don't care to watch. If I was wrong about RZ and his hosting skills, I apologize, however, his looks would definitely turn me off - long hair, scruffy beard, and torn T-shirts are not my idea of a host, except at a halloween costume party.

Anne

The appearance of Mr. Zombie certainly doesn't fit the traditional approach of TCM, but I, for one, have enjoyed his perspective and the option of watching several films I had never seen. It is definitely not for everyone's taste, but I find it a nice addition that doesn't replace too many of the classsics that we all love.

If I was wrong about RZ and his hosting skills, I apologize, however, his looks would definitely turn me off - long hair, scruffy beard, and torn T-shirts are not my idea of a host, except at a halloween costume party.

Well, that's basically what the whole thing is, underground-style. As horrified as I was prepared to be, what with the hundreds(?) of postings against him before he even appeared (and very few since then!), I found him to "fit the bill" just fine. Maybe it's just my growing up during (but NOT in contact with, particularly) the hippie days, but he doesn't weird me out at all; and I'm from conservative, small-town South Carolina! (And still weirded-out over our election results a lot more than over RZ, by a long shot)

Rob Zombie is a good host. I like his use of film clips to illustrate the introductions. And "The Honeymoon Killers" should be required viewing by students in film school...an example of how to produce a low/no budget movie. I simply cannot understand how the one (and only) time director of "The Honeymoon Killers" created such an accomplished and attention grabbing movie. The first few set-up scenes of "The Honeymoon Killers" move the story into the main plot so efficiently, I think Kurosawa would applaud the effort. Well, that is what I think.

I could go on and on about how great a movie "The Honeymoon Killers" turned out to be, but I guess this thread is supposed to be..."Rob Zombie, good host?"

By the way, this week is scheduled the Vincent Price movie..."The Last Man On Earth". I watched the film a couple of months ago and it is worth a view. The movie is made on the cheap, but Vincent Price is pretty darn good.

Rusty

...but I guess this thread is supposed to be..."Rob Zombie, good host?

Actually, I think the thread is supposed to be... "Underground on TCM, is it as depraved as it looks from the snippets?"

Actually, I think the thread is supposed to be... "Underground on TCM, is it as depraved as it looks from the snippets?">>

Otterhere,

I don't think it's depraved. I have enjoyed a varied menu of "ElectraGlide in Blue", "West of Zanzibar", "The Unholy Three" and Vincent Price movies.

Many of them are cult films and won't be to everyone's liking but many of them are important films or beginning films for filmmakers that went on to have more mainstream careers.

As for Rob Zombie, I agree with Bill Mc., despite all the handwringing over Rob Zombie coming to TCM, I find him to be very respectful of the films he is showing and very knowledgeable about film in general.

What's that old adage: Don't judge a book by its cover. I think that probably applies to TCM Underground and Rob Zombie as the host. :)

The movies on TCMU don't interest me too much but i've caught RZ's intros a couple times and I think, other then appearance that he's as fine a host as Osborne or Mankiewitz (sp) It seems RZ really appreciates the movies he introduces to us all.

> By the way, this week is scheduled the Vincent Price

> movie..."The Last Man On Earth". I watched the film

> a couple of months ago and it is worth a view. The

> movie is made on the cheap, but Vincent Price is

> pretty darn good.

>

> Rusty

Now THIS movie has been on my radar for a long time. I personally think Vincent Price is excellent. I've heard a lot about this movie but never seen it so I will definitely check it out.

So Zombie is out? No mention or sight of him during Madhouse.

Keep TCM Underground alive please! I've loved watching these films each week. Just having this tiny slice of the schedule for cult films has been a huge gift.

According to the schedule TCMU takes a break in February but returns in March, although in late March they go into reruns. No mention of Zombie though. I love Rob's intros, and hope he returns to the show.

I've noticed that TCMU has had a different theme song the last couple of weeks as well. Please don't let this be the end of Rob.

SPTO,

I am posting this the day after the showing of Vincent Price in "The Last Man On Earth"...if you watched the thing, I hope you enjoyed the show. If you have not watched...well, I hope you enjoy the show.

I am a big fan of Vincent Price...I even stopped getting ready for work a couple of days ago when I saw Price on my television screen ("Laura" was playing on AMC). I was pretty late for work that morning.

Many, many years ago I drove 30 miles to Denver to catch Vincent Price on stage in a one man show. His character was some 19th century British playwright...oh, you know...what's his name. I'm kidding. Price's "one man" was Oscar Wilde. Vincent Price's performance as Oscar Wilde was terrific. Of course, not having ever seen Oscar Wilde, I cannot make any sort of comparison (e.g. did Price do a "correct" Wilde?). That said, Price was really good and I was never bored during the two hour show. The stage show was a matinee and I went by my lonesome (aww...). At nineteen years of age, I think I was the youngest person in the theater. Yet, I felt so welcomed by all the folks sitting around me...what a nice audience for this event.

Plus it was the first time I ever heard the term "absinthe". Price spent most of the show drinking absinthe. Well, he called the liquid in the glass absinthe.

Rusty

> SPTO,

>

> I am posting this the day after the showing of

> Vincent Price in "The Last Man On Earth"...if you

> watched the thing, I hope you enjoyed the show. If

> you have not watched...well, I hope you enjoy the

> show.

Yep, I watched it. What a great little film. I love the whole first third of the movie where it's mostly Price narrating and you see him doing the things he has to do to survive. He sure did a lot of acting through his body in that flick and it was a pure joy to watch.

I don't mind his appearance, but it looks like he doesn't want to be there. What I do mind is the clatter of the theme noise. Whether or not zombie leaves, I'd prefer some grindhouse imagery to the abandoned warehouse and some tremulant theater organ to that awful noise. I've enjoyed the movies quite a bit. What worries me isn't TCM Underground, it's the awful recent movies that are becoming more prominent on weekends in prime time.

As for me I think the movie selections are great. They are some great pulpy, cult, genre driven films and either I have seen them and enjoy seeing them again or its a treat seeing them for the first time. Whether it is Rob or some suit who is picking them they are making some great decisions. Keep up the good work there.

I understand if you don't like these films. Some of them are pretty rough. But to be fair they are on in the middle of the night. if you don't like them just turn off the tube and get some sleep.

As to the choice of Rob Zombie. Rob is the perfect person to host these films. He is an aficionado of all that is strange in film.He loves these movies. He watched them as a kid and that is the kind of person I want hosting them. My feeling is if you are the type of person that wants to watch "Faster Pussycat Kill Kill" then the sight of a host in jeans and a t-shirt and dreads should not bug you. Think of it this way, he isn't wearing his cowboy hat and shades. Which is par for Rob.

That all being said. He doesn't really have the polish of the other hosts.That much is clear. I'm not even certain he isn't there because of some contractual obligation or community service work. He kinda seems like he wishes he was somewhere else. Yeah he is a rock star, but I get the feeling he'd rather be behind the camera than in front of it.

I don't think its right though to compare the guy to a gorilla because he is an articulate and intelligent person and I think he has something to add to the presentation of these films. Yeah he is scruffy, but it is in keeping with the spirit of these movies. If it is to continue, have Zombie continue to host. If he wants to. If not, I don't know who else would be a good substitute. Maybe Sherry Moon?

I gotta give props to TCM for booking Coffy and Foxy Brown for next week. I just love the blaxploitation stuff! I hope TCMU continues in some form throughout next year. One film i'd like to see (and I know it's on DVD but i'm lazy sometimes :) ) is Trouble Man if only to hear Marvin Gaye's score for the film. I heard somewhere that the actual score in the film is quite different from the soundtrack album so that would be intriguing for me to look out for.

Jon,

Any message posted having the movie title "Dolemite" must include the sound notation, "chicka...chicka...waa...waa...".

Happy New Year...I'm ready for many martinis.

Rusty

It looks like Rob Zombie has been unceremoniously dropped from hosting TCM Underground.

No mention was made of it, nothing was posted on the boards though numerous persons including myself posted questions. Why have the boards if no one from TCM is going to read them, nor post to them. It just makes a bad sitaution worse.

Can you please shed some light on this issue? In this case silence is not golden, but frustrating.

Thanks for your consideration.

-mice

I read he suddenly got immersed in remaking John Carpenter's Halloween over Christmas holidays. Shooting started/is starting this month and they want to have it in theatres for August 31st. dunno if he's jumped ship or not, when/if he'll be back, couldn't find anything about his current TCM status. Maybe TCM gave him a window to shoot the movie, or he just walked and they're keeping it hushed until they can work out what to do. Who knows. But the guy looks like he could be a tad difficult

I am assuming that they recorded all his intros at once for the first season of TCMU, so it is weird that all of a sudden he disappeared. They changed the intro, no mention of him any more. I know three weeks ago, Robert Osborne said Rob Zombie will be up next with this week's Underground, but Zombie was never there.

I know the press release for Underground only went up to the end of December, which was when Zombie disappeared.

Friday, December 29

2:00 AM Madhouse (?74)

3:45 AM The Last Man on Earth (?64)

So maybe that is all he shot at the time he was there, and they couldn't get him back right now. I know he is pretty busy now getting ready to direct Halloween.

I know a bunch of people have been asking about Rob Zombie. Basically, we did a shoot with him to help us kick-off the series. Moving forward, there won't be a regular host for a while (although I wouldn't necessarily rule it out in the future).

I am happy that he was able to do some episodes - sad that it was so brief. The press release and the TCM Underground site could have been clearer that Rob Zombie's hosting was not a permanent thing if this was the plan all along.

Obviously though if he doesn't want to do it or doesn't have time enough to do it there is little or nothing you folks can do.

It is also unclear if the movies were being picked by Rob or if he was only the inaugural host. I listen to a lot of Rob/White Zombie and the movies chosen so far are movies they have sampled from in their songs. The choices however they have been arrived at have been sterling. Keep up the good work.

I did appreciate the Director's, and Sig Haig's commentary it gave some new insight into the films and that I think is what TCM does best.

-mice