Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The are now knocking down the RKO globe!!!

spence

Saw this a few days back & just wanted to see if anyone has more info on this very sad item

It appears that Paramount is set-(or already started) knocking down the RKO Radio side of the lot the 2 shared  including the legendary RKO Globe!

0n all 3 trips I had in whats left of Hollywood, I stayed a a very nearby motel on Vine & could literally see down a side street from this motel & see what was once RKO's main entrance, now a Paramount side door instead from the there

It was amazing, especially for a fan of "Hollywoods Golden Age/Studio System"-(l925-60)

& you can't miss that globe, that Joseph P. Kennedy installed back in 1929. It's on the corner of Melrose & Gower.

& now=(typically of Hollywood/LA & it's history) they plan to smash it & the remaining old lot to pieces,etc

As most reading this already know, the legendary likes of: "Kane" "Kong" "It's a Wonderful Life" Fred & *Ginger, Howard Hughes, Lucille Ball & much, much, more  forever linked with RKO Radio. (P.S. They did also use much of the original Culver Studios for a lot of filming)

There's some guy that's having a petition drive on FB to try & get the globe saved & installed a Hollywood museum

This obviously reminds one of what Kirk Kikorion did to the grandest of all "Dream Factory's" in M-G-M  Which is now reduced to approx. 40 acres from over 200 & Sony Pictures instead?

PLEASE COMMENT & OR GIVE ANY INFO YOU HAVE & I THANK YOU :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

I don't have any info about that but I recently watched a 6 part BBC documentary about the RKO story on you tube. It was very good. It was filmed in 1987 (?) I think and had interviews with many of the stars including Ginger, Fred, Lucy, Robert Mitchum, Jean Simmons, Jane Russell, Robert Wise and many more. Each episode is about an hour.

Saw this a few days back & just wanted to see if anyone has more info on this very sad item

It appears that Paramount is set-(or already started) knocking down the RKO Radio side of the lot the 2 shared  including the legendary RKO Globe!

0n all 3 trips I had in whats left of Hollywood, I stayed a a very nearby motel on Vine & could literally see down a side street from this motel & see what was once RKO's main entrance, now a Paramount side door instead from the there

It was amazing, especially for a fan of "Hollywoods Golden Age/Studio System"-(l925-60)

& you can't miss that globe, that Joseph P. Kennedy installed back in 1929. It's on the corner of Melrose & Gower.

& now=(typically of Hollywood/LA & it's history) they plan to smash it & the remaining old lot to pieces,etc

As most reading this already know, the legendary likes of: "Kane" "Kong" "It's a Wonderful Life" Fred & *Ginger, Howard Hughes, Lucille Ball & much, much, more  forever linked with RKO Radio. (P.S. They did also use much of the original Culver Studios for a lot of filming)

There's some guy that's having a petition drive on FB to try & get the globe saved & installed a Hollywood museum

This obviously reminds one of what Kirk Kikorion did to the grandest of all "Dream Factory's" in M-G-M  Which is now reduced to approx. 40 acres from over 200 & Sony Pictures instead?

PLEASE COMMENT & OR GIVE ANY INFO YOU HAVE & I THANK YOU :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

I would hope the studio would donate the object to someone or that a rich actor \ director would purchase it.   But this is private property.   IMO Los Angeles already exercises too much control over private property;  e.g.   historical buildings.    If a city wishes to preserve such things they should have to buy them at a fair market price.

I don't have any info about that but I recently watched a 6 part BBC documentary about the RKO story on you tube. It was very good. It was filmed in 1987 (?) I think and had interviews with many of the stars including Ginger, Fred, Lucy, Robert Mitchum, Jean Simmons, Jane Russell, Robert Wise and many more. Each episode is about an hour.

PLEASE SEND/LET ME KNOW THE LINK & OR EXACT TITLE OF THIS DOCU ON YOUTUBE???

THANK YOU

OP said: Saw this a few days back & just wanted to see if anyone has more info

Where exactly did you see "this"?

I absolutely despise when a city landmark is taken down from it's original place and placed in a museum. Why not leave it UP as a LANDMARK?

You have no idea how large these things are until you see them at eye level. They are meant to be high up. (I know, I have a 15-20 foot neon diner sign stored in my attic!) and viewing them in a museum loses it's context as a beacon.

Stoopid, stupid. Can you imagine the Capitol Records Building square?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings