Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Samuel Goldwyn video library

I'm willing to bet there must be someone around here who knows the answer to this....

What's the current status of video titles from the Samuel Goldwyn library? All I really know at this point is that a bunch of them got released on DVD in the late '90s but are now out of print.

I would love to buy some of these titles, even the ones that have shown up on TCM lately.I'd be particularly interested in The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, Ball of Fire and the 1939 Wuthering Heights, the last one at least if they could add extras or otherwise improve the transfer from the earlier DVD which I have.

Anybody know anything about this? =)

I'm sorry that I don't have any answers for you...but I wanted to chime in that this is something I too have been wondering. I wasn't aware of/buying DVDs back when HBO released these Goldwyn films on DVD and now, of course, they're out of print and terribly expensive on the second-hand market. Who can afford to spend hundreds of dollars per DVD? That's just insane. I hope whoever owns the rights to these films now, re-releases them on DVD at a reasonable price. At least TCM shows "Ball Of Fire" pretty often, and "Wuthering Heights" is finally going to be on in Feb & March... Now if only they would run "The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty", which I've requested many times to no avail! Although I'm grateful for the chance to see other Danny Kaye movies on TCM, "Walter Mitty" is a nostalgic favorite of mine that I haven't seen for years... sigh.

I believe that when Samuel Goldwyn died, the rights his films went to his estate. A new company was formed, and still using the Samuel Goldwyn name, bought the rights from the estate and started distributing them. In the 1990's that company was purchased by Metromedia which later was later bought out by MGM. If that's the case, then the rights to most, if not all, of the Goldwyn films are now owned by SONY since they bought MGM. There is a Samuel Goldwyn Films company, but I think they release newer films and don't have anything to due with the old ones.

If anyone has any other info, please feel free to correct me.

Message was edited by:

markfp2

Warner does own the right to distribute all of the Studio Age MGM films--but they have no power over anything that the company did in subsequent years...

I'm not sure who owns the rights to distribute the Goldwyn films (if Sony did take over MGM's distributing deals, I suppose that's good news, although Sony's Columbia releases haven't been all that impressive so far), but I sure wish that someone would get busy doing it!

Wuthering Heights, These Three, Ball of Fire, I Want You, The Dark Angel, Beloved Enemy, etc...

these things are crucial!

Cinemascope,

The Warners Studio Library (thanks to the Turner deal a few years back that brought the TCM library under the ownership of Time-Warner and the library under the control of Warner Bros) consists of all RKO films, all Warner Bros films and MGM pre-1986 films.

> Cinemascope,

>

> The Warners Studio Library (thanks to the Turner deal

> a few years back that brought the TCM library under

> the ownership of Time-Warner and the library under

> the control of Warner Bros) consists of all RKO

> films, all Warner Bros films and MGM pre-1986 films.

So would these include the old Samuel Goldwyn titles from the 30's and 40s? Mark said that MGM home video acquired those titles...

no--because the right to distribute those titles has nothing to do with the original deal to distribute MGM titles...

witness the various MGM DVDs that have been released in the past few years (i.e. Best Years of Our Lives, Barbary Coast, etc)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Years-Our-Lives/dp/0792846133/sr=8-1/qid=1167688386/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-0883347-8510231?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

some of these came out as recently as 2005 (and most are still in stock at Amazon), but I don't recall seeing any new releases in 2006, which is odd because, as everyone involved in this thread knows, there are TONS of very important Goldwyn titles still unaccounted for/out-of-print!

I don't recall what year Ted Turner made his deal for the MGM/WB/RKO libraries, but if MGM bought Metromedia, which owned the Goldwyn titles, at a later date, Turner wouldn't have had a chance to buy them. If MGM owned them when they were bought by SONY, they now belong to SONY.

In all the years since the Turner deal, I've never heard any mention of the Goldwyn films being part of it. So that leads me to believe that MGM didn't have the Goldwyn films at the time of the sale. Had they, I would think that Ted Turner would have grabbed those too if he had the chance.

None of which explains, of course, why MGM has never re-released WUTHERING HEIGHTS on DVD, though they have re-issued just about every other title that was originally released by by the Samuel Goldwyn Company in their original deal with HBO Home Video.

> The Samuel Goldwyn Library is licensed to MGM Inc.,

> which is now owned by Sony. Thus, Sony will be

> distributing the Samuel Goldwyn films. This package

> includes most of the Alexander Korda films as well

> (THIEF OF BAGDAD, FOUR FEATHERS etc).

My understanding is that MGM as a film production/distribution company of theatrical releases and the MGM film library are two very different things. Ted Turner held on to the MGM library when he had to sell everything else....

To the best of my knowledge Warner Home Video now owns the MGM video library.

My understanding is that MGM as a film production/distribution company of theatrical releases and the MGM film library are two very different things. Ted Turner held on to the MGM library when he had to sell everything else....>>

Cinemascope,

Turner bought the pre-1986 MGM film library. When Turner did the merge with Time-Warner the Turner Film library came under the control of Warner Bros.

The post-1986 film library is owned by Sony.

> Cinemascope,

>

> Turner bought the pre-1986 MGM film library.

> When Turner did the merge with Time-Warner the

> Turner Film library came under the control of Warner

> Bros.

>

> The post-1986 film library is owned by Sony.

Yes, this is what I meant... forgot to clarify that it was only the pre-1986 library since I hardly ever watch anything released by MGM after that date... but you're absolutely right.

Sadly, the Sam Goldwyn library continues to get short shrift under the MGM banner. Only a handful of titles have emerged and these in less than stellar transfer quality. Best bet, write to MGM (currently combining its holdings with Fox Home Video) and petition them for the release of Goldwyn's best. A bunch of Danny Kaye's best movies including The Kid from Brooklyn and The Secret Life of Walter Mitty still haven't found their way to DVD. Wonder Man - a colossal and hilarious flick from this same vintage was available but is currently out of print. Currently the only Goldwyn titles still available through MGM are Guys and Dolls, Stella Dallas and The Bishop's Wife. What a shame!

Currently the only

> Goldwyn titles still available through MGM are Guys

> and Dolls, Stella Dallas and The Bishop's Wife. What

> a shame!

I think Pride of the Yankees was a Samuel Goldwyn production as well.

But there's no doubt, a lot of the Samuel Goldwyn titles are badly in need of being reissued on DVD for the sake of many movie buffs' emotional well being (including me!)

For the time being I'd be happy with The Secret Life of Walter Mitty and other Danny Kaye movies, and a re-issued Wuthering Heights (although I still have the OOP DVD from HBO video).

Oh, and The Private Life of Henry VIII could also use a DVD release, I just picked up a laserdisc version recently.