Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Contributions To The Boards Of IMDb

Palmerin

I love to contribute to the boards of IMDb, particularly to the GOOFS collection, of which I have detected quite a few.

My latest contribution, early this month, was to Wyler's THE HEIRESS. The men are not wearing the cravats that were in fashion until very well into the 1850s. Look at Healy's famous portrait of President Fillmore; that band of fabric wound around the neck in order to give the latter the look of a tall stately pillar looks very good on the 13th POTUS, who had a very impressive neck. Neckties and bowties did not come into fashion until the last years of the 1850s, the time of Lincoln's rise to fame; as abundantly proven by his many portraits, the 16th POTUS was very fond of bowties.

This anachronism creates the mistaken impression that THE HEIRESS takes place AFTER the Civil War, instead of its correct period, which is more than ten years BEFORE that war.

What information and corrections have you all contributed to IMDb, please?

• Like 1

Usually when I'm on the IMDb, I am pointing out goofs on soap operas. The four current daytime soaps have been on the air for years, but they keep going through regime changes. Every time a new writing staff takes over, we get dropped stories and sudden developments that are inconsistent with what's already been established about long-term characters. And virtually all these writers' attempts at retconning, in which they try to take advantage of holes in the backstory, get the timelines wrong.

• Like 1

Well Palmerin, it's funny you ask about this.

Ya see, about five years ago or so, I once pointed out in rather strong terms in the CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON's IMDb webpage comments section that the "laughing" kookaburra sound you constantly hear in that flick while Carlson, Denning, Moreno and the very shapely Julia(Julie) Adams in that one-piece swimsuit are hasslin' the poor thing, was all wrong for a South American Amazonian setting, and because kookaburras are solely indigenous to the continent of Australia.

And THEN and as is often the case over there at IMDb, just recently and five years after I posted that, some dude FINALLY answered back to my comment and called ME a "kook" for making a big deal out of it!

(...naaaah....jus' kiddin')

;)

Well Palmerin, it's funny you ask about this.

Ya see, about five years ago or so, I once pointed out in rather strong terms in the CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON's IMDb webpage comments section that the "laughing" kookaburra sound you constantly hear in that flick while Carlson, Denning, Moreno and the very shapely Julia(Julie) Adams in that one-piece swimsuit are hasslin' the poor thing, was all wrong for a South American Amazonian setting, and because kookaburras are solely indigenous to the continent of Australia.

And THEN and as is often the case over there at IMDb, just recently and five years after I posted that, some dude FINALLY answered back to my comment and called ME a "kook" for making a big deal out of it!

(...naaaah....jus' kiddin')

;)

didja think itwas a big deal? 

didja think itwas a big deal? 

Guess ya didn't see where I said that that was all made up here, eh Rip?!

I offered up that false little story here to point to the IMDb phenomenon of there often being a vast time span between postings and replies over there in their comments section.

(...oh, AND of course to comment upon how hot lookin' Julie Adams is in that one-piece swimsuit of hers!) ;)

Guess ya didn't see where I said that that was all made up here, eh Rip?!

I offered up that false little story here to point to the IMDb phenomenon of there often being a vast time span between postings and replies over there in their comments section.

(...oh, AND of course to comment upon how hot lookin' Julie Adams is in that one-piece swimsuit of hers!) ;)

ya dig brunets over blonds?

I love to contribute to the boards of IMDb, particularly to the GOOFS collection, of which I have detected quite a few.

What you are referring to is called an "anachronism." They occur in Shakespeare as well. I don't get worked up about them. For example, Shakespeare refers to "clocks" in Julius Caesar.  There were no clocks in Caesar's time.

“Brutus: Peace! Count the clock.

Cassius: The clock has stricken three.”

I love brunettes too. They are S-E-X-Y.

And I knew that Marilyn was really a brunette - and I'm still totally in love with her.

Yes, I absolutely agree with you.

Troy Donahue was undoubtably SEXY, but I think I still prefer William Holden.

Then there's always Sidney Poitier, Toshiro Mifune and Gregory Peck.

I particularly like Mifune's legs in all those Samurai pictures.

I've always been a "leg-woman" myself.

But if you want to talk about absolute Beauty, absolutely, we'll have to have a special thread just for Tyrone Power!

So I guess the Ty Power is the best-looking brunette guy here!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings