Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Guy Named Joe - lucky canadians!

Hi,

I think the US can view "A Guy Named Joe". It's just that in the US they played "Father Goose" and "Foreign Correspondent" and I don't think there are Canadian rights for those two pictures.

Therefore, they showed "A Guy Named Joe" here instead.

This happens frequently here and I know I've wanted to see "Father Goose" before and it's been pre-empted for something else. I think the same holds true for "Foreign Correspondent"

Larry

When a movie is re-made and the rights are sold, does that have anything to do with replaying the original? As in the case of Always with R. Dreyfuss and H. Hunter, if a studio buys the rights, can they refuse to allow playing of the original without also playing the new remake?

Cinemascope:

Today is a full day of re-plays from the last couple of weeks. Arabesque was also on just two days ago, as was North by Northwest, and Foreign Correspondent. I wish they had reversed the timing of Moonfleet, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon and Red Dust. These three are rarely seen movies, and I would have been much happier being offered them, than todays' repeats. I realize Foreign Correspondent was an essential this week, but it was also an essential in either Nov. or Dec., plus being a favorite of one of the guest TCM programmers, making a total of five showings in less than 60 days. This is a little much even for a terrific movie such as this.

Anne

> Today is a full day of re-plays from the last couple

> of weeks.

Not only that, but the first couple of day of the new year seem to be a bust. I don't see anything remotely interesting until maybe Jean Arthur night. Might be interested in a Marx Bros film or two, but most likely will go out with friends tonight.

Glad you said that Brad, I feel the same way, but I didn't want to get too many people mad at me because I've been on a sort of a rant for a few days now.

Anne

P.S. What's with all the Sci-Fi on New Years Day? I love Sci-Fi, but not hour after hour for a full day. Thank goodness the Bears have been moved to a nighttime slot tonight.

Well, off to the video store to get something to watch tonight after the game.

Message was edited by:

mrsl

> When a movie is re-made and the rights are sold, does

> that have anything to do with replaying the original?

> As in the case of Always with R. Dreyfuss and

> H. Hunter, if a studio buys the rights, can they

> refuse to allow playing of the original without also

> playing the new remake?

Anne I was in the states a couple summers ago and I distinctly remember TCM doing a theme night with both movies. IIRC they played Always first and then A Guy Named Joe.

Maybe TCM can only show it very rarely in the US or they lost the US rights altogether? All I know is I was disappointed that they played the remake first and I missed the original. I'll be watching the replay of it this evening at 6. If I had a PVR i'd record it and dub it to DVD for you. :(

...the first couple of day of the new year seem to be a bust. I don't see anything remotely interesting until maybe Jean Arthur night.

And I'll probably be running a recorder almost all day (from 6 AM EST), since there are at least 11 I don't think I've seen - especially Destination Moon.

Each to his own - and isn't it wonderful there is the variety to support that, as well as scheduling that lets some of us escape from the tube for a while. As it is, I've been marking the schedule and can't find more than a couple of days "free" where I can leave town for something I need to do. SO many old movies I don't have, and I thought I knew most of them. It must be the influx of things from the non-MGM-WB-RKO films that are available now. Notice, I didn't say SO many classics, just old movies; I find them often more fascinating (and shorter, if they're not good!) than the acknowledged classics.

As someone who works in television up here in the great white north I think it is safe to say that the reason you have "Foreign Correspendent" and "Father Goose" while we don't is because of the rights holders for the "territory" of Canada. More than likely the rights holder for Canada is the pay channel "Moviepix" which is owned by Astral Media. Which is a shame really because Moviepix has absolutely no respect for the older films in their catalogue. They are seldom shown and when they are it is usally a one-off for a period of six months or so. They won't even bother to show an available letter-boxed version. Since movies are purchased with a "term" of about five years or so you/we are just going to have to sit and take it until the respective terms expire.

Perhaps TCM, with its new Canadian availability, can start addressing this issue in all upcoming agreements with Canadian movie channels???