Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Marx Bros. New Year's Eve

Did anyone else out there find that the scheduled start times were off by 10 - 15 minutes for each movie?

My wife and I came home early from our New Year's Eve party and decided to watch Duck Soup on our PVR and found that the movie had started considerably before the scheduled 8:15 start time. The same for each succeeding film.

Major BUMMER!!!!!

Someone asleep at the switch at TCM???

All of the Marx Brothers films have been starting fifteen minutes earlier than the scheduled time. Like you, I'm a Canadian viewer, so it's possible this problem is only afflicting TCM Canada. I suspect a short was supposed to follow "A Guy Named Joe", which somehow got omitted, throwing the whole evening's schedule out of kilter.

I don't know about anyone else, but the Marx Bros. New Year's Eve celebration went down terribly well in my household:

The family was over yesterday, and I of course had TCM on most of the afternoon (to the grumbling dismay of my football loving cousins). Knowing my love of classic films, they purposefully talked through most of Foreign Correspondent, poking fun and laughing... until the airplane crash climax, of course, when they suddenly grew rather silent. (Good job, Hitch!) And then on comes Duck Soup and, not even two minutes into the film, my little 15 year old cousin Tyler starts to laugh. Hysterically. He laughed through the entire film, which proved contagious to his other brothers. By the film's end I was simply swelling with pride that my three VERY mischievous teenage boy cousins were *thoroughly* won over by the Marx Bros' madness!

I must say that no matter how magical it is to watch a classic movie, it's even more magical to see others experience them for the first time.

How Wonderful!

The same thing happened at my house :) I forced my parents to sit down and watch the flicks as they came on... The Marx Brothers never disappoint! Thanks for sharing that story with us, it's nice to know these movies (no matter how old) still appeal to the younger generation.

Around my house, At The Circus always gets the most laughs. I think it is Groucho's ceiling walk scene... Hilarious!

Danny

Good for you. My kids have been Marx Brothers fans for years. Maureen likes "Horse Feathers" and Ian "Duck Soup". The great part is it seems like everytime they see them they find something new. It's always been fun watching the movies with them.

I love the part where Harpo keeps lighting Groucho's cigar in A Night At The Opera... The match is so long, Groucho says "Last time I saw that match it had apples growing on it." Or the scene with the contract, Groucho says, "If my arms were a little longer I could read it. You don't happen to have an ape in your pocket, do you?" My mother found that particularly amusing, since she always does that when trying to read something.

I have been a Marx fanatic for YEARS....one line in Duck Soup just MIGHT be the best line ever to get past the Hays Office: Right after Firefly's "plans" song ['If any form of pleasure is exhibited...report to me and it will be prohibited!'], he is standing next to his knicker-clad footman with his trouser legs rolled up:

TEASDALE/DUMONT: Good Heavens Mr President, You can't see the council with your trousers up!

FIREFLY/GROUCHO: Its the ONLY way they'll EVER catch me!!

blaming - your story is proof that the idiots with their demographics and polls and all that do NOT have a clue - funny is FUNNY...be it in color or B&W..old or new.....

My confirmation on how funny the Marxes are is in Monkey Business, during Harpo's harp scene, where he scares the regular harpist away, and does the backing for the horrible soprano doing O Sole Mio....in the background you can see the extras playing the band at the party, who are probably all hard-bitten Hollywood extras,obviously trying VERY hard not to break up at Harpo's shtick....and when you realize that several takes were probable, it makes it even more impressive!

Hi there, Christine!

Here in North Carolina we had some surprise flooding. I'm not flooded out but my satelite went out about 2:30 in the morning and came back up at about 3:30. I'm hoping I caught A Night In Casablanca @ 4 (set my dvd-r), but I won't know until I watch it tonight! I have several movies I'm just getting around to watching where the satelite cuts out during the running time :( I'm looking forward to it if I did get it... :)

I was watching... Wait, which Marx film came on while the ball was dropping? Was it Monkey Business? And it was the part where he comes into the man and woman's room, goes around in there closet for a while. Then he lies on her bed, I thought he said something about her "making" him. I couldn't believe that got past the Hays office!

Also, since most of these movies were filmed during the "pre-code" era, why did they have to conform to the Hays code? Or were they chopped up after the code was inforced?

Just curious.

Danny

Dear bobhopefan!

Sorry to hear about the flooding hopefully you were able still to get a night In Casablanca.I was suprized at that also getting past Hay's office.I don't know the answer to that question but The Ask Mongo thread on the Information thread I'm sure he could answer for you.Glad to hear you were not flooded out.

Belated Happy New Year

Christine

I must be showing my age but, while I've always been a Marx Bros. fan, I've never found Groucho "hot" before...??? Not sure of HIS age in some of these ("Duck Soup," "Horse Feathers"), but I could definitely have gone for him, LOL!!! Quite a change from what I mostly remember of him, which is "You Bet Your Life" (when he was in his, what, 80s??? Although he got a young wife then, so...) Again, how talented were people then compared to now??? (Chico on the piano, Harpo on the Harp, even Zeppo singing!!!) I reiterate my pessimistic belief based on today's films than man has seen his zenith and the species is now devolving. : (

LOVED the marathon; thanks, TCM!!!

Actually, when I first started watching the Marx Brothers, I first thought Chico was hot... Then I grew to think all of them are very attractive, I love men who don't take themselves very seriously. Harpo is my most beloved, because I love his whole "mime" routine. I also couldn't believe how old they were in these films!

Christine:

I hope you had a happy New Year! I watched my dvd last night and the satelite was out right up to the credits, and never went out again :) Though it seemed a little more subdued than the other films, I found it very entertaining (especially for Harpo). Loved his whistling routine! Was A Night In Casablanca the last of the Marx films? I know it was very late... Has anyone seen Go West? I haven't heard much about it.

Danny

LOVE HAPPY (1949) is the last Marx Brothers film, strictly speaking (i.e. one in which Groucho, Chico and Harpo all appear and interact with each other in a film of which they are the stars).

The three also appeared in THE STORY OF MANKIND (1957), Irwin Allen's all-star pageant whose main ra?son d'etre was, apparently, to use as much footage from Warner Bros. historical epics as possible, to pad the thin, silly storyline (remember that Jack L. Warner threatened to sue the Marx Brothers for calling their 1946 effort A NIGHT IN CASABLANCA; Groucho shot back that, in such instance, he would counter-sue Warner Bros. for stealing the word "brothers" which, as Groucho observed, the Marxes were using years before the Warners were. Warner dropped the suit). Harpo's and Chico played their one scene together, whereas Groucho's sole scene was separate, so it really can't be considered a "marx Brothers film."

• 11 years later...
On 1/1/2007 at 9:02 PM, exapno said:

I have been a Marx fanatic for YEARS....one line in Duck Soup just MIGHT be the best line ever to get past the Hays Office: Right after Firefly's "plans" song ['If any form of pleasure is exhibited...report to me and it will be prohibited!'], he is standing next to his knicker-clad footman with his trouser legs rolled up:

TEASDALE/DUMONT: Good Heavens Mr President, You can't see the council with your trousers up!

FIREFLY/GROUCHO: Its the ONLY way they'll EVER catch me!!

blaming - your story is proof that the idiots with their demographics and polls and all that do NOT have a clue - funny is FUNNY...be it in color or B&W..old or new.....

My confirmation on how funny the Marxes are is in Monkey Business, during Harpo's harp scene, where he scares the regular harpist away, and does the backing for the horrible soprano doing O Sole Mio....in the background you can see the extras playing the band at the party, who are probably all hard-bitten Hollywood extras,obviously trying VERY hard not to break up at Harpo's shtick....and when you realize that several takes were probable, it makes it even more impressive!

Actually, when Margaret Dumont/ Ms. Teasdale says to Groucho "Good heaven's Mr. President, you can't see the council with your trousers up", Groucho/ Firefly replies "well, they won't catch me the other way".  Very funny. 

I also love the way Groucho says to the correspondent while talking to Dumont, "don't look now, but there's one too many in this room, and I think it's you". It's the way he says it so subtlety. It's not just Groucho's funny lines, but it's also the particular way he delivers them which makes them so hilarious.

I also liked the way Groucho suddenly paces back and forth with his hands behind his back when telling his secretary to take a letter, he does that twice in Duck soup. And when he quotes the letter "to my dentist, enclosed is a check for $500, signed Firefly".  Secretary: "I'll go enclose the $500 check". Firefly: " you do and I'll fire you".  There are so many other funny Marx bros'. and Groucho moments, so I'll stop here or I'll end up writing a book.

I have also known several friends and family members of mine who find the Marx very funny. There are certain things about people's sense of humor now and back in the 1930s which are kind of the same. To some degree, human nature has always found the same kinds of things funny throughout time. The main changes today are that sense of humor and jokes have gotten dirtier.

Ah resurrecting this old thread....TCM won a LOT of new fans with these special New Years Eve marathons through the years for precisely the reson mentioned earlier: friends/family gatherings to celebrate the holidays, watching TV.

I was not surprised when friends gathered around the TV to watch the Marx Brothers around 9 or 10 pm. It helped keep awake those quickly tiring out.
But the year they showed Astaire/Rogers movies, I just had the TV on for "visuals". Eventually, someone turned the sound up & laughter erupted regularly. I found it amazing my "super cool artist hippy" friends were so charmed by those old musicals. That evening converted a lot of people to liking classic film.