Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

does anybody from TCM actually READ this board?

i have noticed alot of postings over the last week or two (or three) that have been about problems on TCM. movies starting late, running long, showing out of order, Rob Zombie disappearance. and NO response from TCM. i visit other boards, and when you post a question, usually someone that runs the board answers the question in a day or two (or three). so...is there anybody out there? heeellooo, anybody home?

There is no moderator on these boards, however, we do have a TCM administrator who will answer most questions not answered by members themselves. He/she is a working person who has weekends off, so most answers will be on Tuesday, this being a holiday weekend, normally on Monday. To ask a definite question, you can go to the General Issues topic on the main page under Films and Filmakers. Good Luck, but don't forget to look for the answer as I have done in the past.

Anne

I can see that both you and captbilly are new here so you may not know that people from TCM do read these forums. tcmprogrammer often replies to posts regarding programming and the forum administrator does from-time-to-time too about other issues.

Even if they don't reply you can be assured that they do read them and will look into it. If for instance a movie runs longer than scheduled you can be sure that they know about it and next time it runs the timeslot will be adjusted to compensate for the longer length. Same goes when a distributor sends them a pan & scan or edited version instead of unedited letterboxed version. They'll do everything they can to get the proper version and get it rescheduled. Just keep in mine that TCM schedules several months in advance so rescheduling takes awhile.

We're very lucky to have people at TCM who take our concerns seriously.

captbilly -

These Message Boards are unmoderated. It is a Forum for viewers to interact with one another and not intended as a place for viewers to interact with representatives from TCM.

That said, there are folks from TCM that do keep an eye on these boards and chime in with answers and information if they deem it important. If there was something terribly different or wrong with the announced programming line-up, you could be pretty certain someone would let us know about it.

Many of the issues you raise have occurred in the past on TCM and here are the answers given in those past instances -

If a program runs longer than the announced length, it usually means that the copy of the film provided to TCM was longer than expected. (It happens often. Film Librarys can have multiple versions of films for different purposes. And each may have different runtimes. TCM can often be given the wrong run-time for the print they have ordered from, say, Columbia/Sony or from Paramount.)

I see someone thinks the Marx Bros. were running long but I didn't notice a problem. Duck Soup ended at 25 minutes after the hour which is just when a 70 minute film should have ended if it started at 8:15.. I am thinking someone's DVR may not have been programmed right.

It has been discussed around here before that TIVO times aren't always accurate and TCM has said they will take every precaution to make the times as exact as possible for the TIVO users. This was much more common problem earlier in the year. Because no one has brought it up lately, I am led to believe that TCM has been pretty good at rectifying the start and end time discrepancies. If something was really messed up, TCM has taken to rescheduling the affected films a few months later.

The switch in the order of "Good Girls/Bad Girls" films this past month was made after the monthly schedule was originally posted but long before the night in question arrived. Some people print out the new monthly schedule as soon as it appears online. But small changes can happen up until the month bevcomes finalized for publication in the Now Playing Guide. The person who missed the Jodie Foster film printed the schedule early in September I believe. The change in the sequence of films that night was made around the first of October. It is prudent to hold off printing schedules from the website until the month is part of the "three month" options on the schedule page which you can access above off the title bar.

As for Rob Zombie's disappearance, I haven't seen or read anything "official" about him being MIA. Have you checked the TCM Underground website? -

http://www.tcm.com/underground/index.jsp

It is possible he became ill. Maybe he didn't like the gig. And maybe he was never meant to be a permanent host. This is a question I can't answer.

If you are still wanting some answers, here is the Viewer Assistance Line for TCM -

404.885.5535. This number came from the Turner Press Room website.

I know none of this is a definite answer to your questions but I thought I could give some sort of answer. Remember, it is a holiday week and a lot of people aren't in their offices right now. I think most of the programming department takes the end of December off.

Someone from TCM may still chime in with a reply. Look for a reply from "tcmprogrammr". And if you use the search feature for the forums and search the term "tcmprogrammr", you will see that answers do come down from on high ... sometimes.

Kyle In Hollywood

ps - Happy New Year!

it just so happens i was the person who missed the jodie foster movie in December. a schedule change may have been made, but the promo that ran at the end of the film before the j. f. movie was to run stated the "the little girl who lives down the lane " was next. and at 10 p.m., the little princess ran. so,in that instance, something went wrong at TCM that night. also, on TCM underground, also in december, two lon chaney were shown out of order. so, as i was interested if anyone else had any problems, i found several messages about similar problems. so, i was wondering why nobody from TCM had made a comment.

Hello captbilly -

Glad you came back around.

Regarding the Jodie Foster film, I have a copy of the December schedule webpage on my desktop and it lists the films running in the order they were shown that night. When it was changed and why the "next on TCM" bumper wasn't changed is a mystery that I can't answer.

If you are determined to get an answer, here's what I suggest you do next.

On the Forum Home Page, there are a set of links on the right side of the page listed under the heading "Announcements". One of the options is "FAQ". Click on that and you will be given this link - http://www.tcm.com/feedback .

The FAQ / Feedback page has loads of information about questions and issues with TCM. See if you can find a satisfactory answer to last-minute schedule changes. (There are drop down menus that will bring up many different FAQ's to help with your queries.)

If, as I suspect, you can't find a satisfactory answer, there is a feedback form to submit with any outstanding questions that you may still have. I would try to contact TCM through this manner and see if you can get a reply with an acceptable explanation to your questions and issues.

I hope this is helpful. If you do write TCM, let us know if someone writes back and what the explanation is.

Kyle In Hollywood

the promo that ran at the end of the film before the j. f. movie was to run stated the "the little girl who lives down the lane " was next. and at 10 p.m., the little princess ran. so,in that instance, something went wrong at TCM that night.

It's not the only time they've gotten the 3-movies-coming-up panel wrong. Not often, but it does happen.

In this case (I saw it, too), that was wrong (like my schedule I printed out maybe two months earlier), but the change was made far enough in advance for RO to announce that Shirley Temple was coming up next, and when "Little Girl" began, he referred to Shirley Temple having just been shown. So, the change (to alternate good girl/bad girl movies) was made early enough for him to record the spots that way.

OR - is it just possible that somehow he recorded them that way (by some kind of accident), so they made the changes? Either way - stuff happens, like RZ's TCM underground movies getting reversed. That's one of the beauties of (continuously) recording (up to 6 hour buffer on mine) on a hard-drive machine and then editing later. I reversed the RZ movies to get them back right when I archived them to disc. When movies run long, no heart-spasms like when I record straight to disc with another machine (or worse, on timer).

Technology to the rescue (when it's not causing the problem in the first place)!

Bill

We are here and we are paying attention. There are several posts that I will try to reply to once I have a chance (was on vacation, now swamped). Regarding the night where "The Little Girl Who Lived Down the Lane" was moved, it was an honest mistake. Every time we make a schedule change it impacts several departments - somebody must have been using an older schedule when they put together that menu.

Hi tcmprogrammr! *grin*

Any chance of any of the following movies playing anytime soon?

He Who Gets Slapped

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (1962)

Blithe Spirit

I'm shocked! Such a blatant misuse of these noble boards! ;-)

Big City (1948)

The McConnell Story

Billy Budd

Oops...

> ...I see someone thinks the Marx Bros. were running long

> but I didn't notice a problem. Duck Soup ended at 25

> minutes after the hour which is just when a 70 minute

> film should have ended if it started at 8:15.. I am

> thinking someone's DVR may not have been programmed

> right....

Duck Soup started 15 minutes early on Shaw Cable in Winnipeg, Canada. And the next few Marx Brothers films also started 15 minutes ahead of schedule. There were at least two other Canadians who posted something similar. So perhaps it was only the Canadian feed that was afftected. Strange...

woody -

I am sure you are right about the New Year's Eve schedule being out of whack only in Canada. What a shame to have had that happen to such a great line-up.

Was the film preceeding "Duck Soup" an "Essential" with a Robert Osborne and Molly Haskell introduction or just a standard TCM offering? Do Canadians get the Essentials series? Just curious.

Kyle In Hollywood

> ...Was the film preceeding "Duck Soup" an "Essential"

> with a Robert Osborne and Molly Haskell introduction

> or just a standard TCM offering?

The preceding film was "Foreign Correspondent" in the US, but in Canada they substituted "A Guy Named Joe".

> Do Canadians get

> the Essentials series? Just curious.

Depends on the individual "Essentials" film, and whether TCM has distribution rights in Canada. For example they didn't show "Foreign Correspondent" last weekend, and back on the Dec 16/17 weekend they didn't show "Sunset Boulevard" in the essentials series.

That sucks that you didn't see "Foreign Correspondent." I haven't seen it, but I was anxious to record it for the chance to see Barbara Pepper in her heyday. Ms. Pepper was the original Doris Ziffel on "Green Acres," my favorite comedy series of all time.

hi, captbilly again. first, thanks to Kyle In Hollywood for the info on getting answers on this board. second, thanks to the tcm moderator for answering my question about "the little girl who lives down the lane" snafu. hope you had a good holiday.( i get time off over the holidays, too, which is why i didn't answer until now)

and i agree with movieman, i wanna see The Most Dangerous Game, too. i was hoping it would be included with the King Kong dvd that came out in 2005. it should have been. same cast, sets and director. they talk about it on the docu, but didn't include it.

Hi again captbilly -

Glad to have been of some help and happy tcmprogrammr spoke up on the Little girl Who Lives Down The Lane mix-up. Can't ask for a better reply than that, can ya?

And, if you haven't found it out already, tcmprogrammr addressed the disappearance of Rob Zombie in a different thread. Mr. Zombie was only booked to introduce the first few weeks of TCMU. It was never intended to be a long-term gig for Mr. Zombie. A reappearance on TCMU isn't anticipated in the near future. See this post -

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/message.jspa?messageID=7867089#7867089

Glad to have you back on the boards. Hang around awhile.

Kyle In Hollywood