Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The first use. . . .

slaytonf

I seem to remember a toilet featured prominently some 10 years before 1970, in Hitchcock's Psycho. I think it was a sticking point with the censors, along with Leigh and Gavin being shown in the same bed, with her wearing a bra and half-slip, and of course, moments during the shower scene. Maybe the whole commode was not shown, just the flushing action. Not really sure. Interesting topic, though, being old enough to recall when so many things that are commonplace were just not shown on screen.

I watched a film from either the late 1950s or early 1960s (can't recall the name now) in which one of the characters used a tv remote control. I remember not paying much attention until I realized, "hey, a remote control had been invented that early?"

I seem to remember a toilet featured prominently some 10 years before 1970, in Hitchcock's Psycho. I think it was a sticking point with the censors, along with Leigh and Gavin being shown in the same bed, with her wearing a bra and half-slip, and of course, moments during the shower scene. Maybe the whole commode was not shown, just the flushing action. Not really sure. Interesting topic, though, being old enough to recall when so many things that are commonplace were just not shown on screen.

An early episode (c. 1957) of Leave It To Beaver (possibly the pilot) shows a toilet -- IIRC the boys get hold of a baby alligator and let it swim in the tank.

This is a fascinating topic: movie firsts. I was wrong about the F word. Richard has it right, although ULYSSES is also referenced but due to heavy editing and censoring of the soundtrack may not count.

And yes, PSYCHO TOILET is correct.

Psycho was the first to show a toilet. Catch-22 was the first to show someone sitting on the toilet, actually using it, which is why I mentioned Martin Balsam by name.

Good distinction Lawrence. And how about just a urinal? I haven't been able to locate any reference to that. Or, how about first female toilet use or reference?

Lol...I'm not sure. I only knew the Catch-22 trivia because I read recently something about Balsam's role originally going to someone else, and Balsam dropped out of another film to take it, and how "proud" he was of the dubious distinction of being the first actor seen on a toilet.

Edit: It was in Stacy Keach's autobiography. He was originally cast in the Balsam role, but dropped out. Ironically, Balsam ended up on the toilet in a scene that also featured Anthony Perkins, both whom appeared in...Psycho. :lol:

Was Advise and Consent (1962) the first American film to show a scene in a gay bar? I know there's one in the mid-1950s French film Razzia sur le chnouf.

First American film where a white man looks lustfully at a black man: Odds Against Tomorrow (1959).

First American film where a black man and a white man implicitly are lovers: The Pawnbroker, where gangster Brock Peters apparently has a white boytoy. Of course Brock Peters had played a musician with an unrequited crush on a white man in Britain's The L-Shaped Room (1962).

I remember in Joan Fontaine's autobio she noted that after ISLAND IN THE SUN she received frequently envelops in the mail with nickels, dimes and pennies with notes saying if she was so hard up for money (that is, doing love scenes with Harry Belafonte), maybe the change would help. I thought, wow, really?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings