Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rumors grow about *Wallace Beery being a murderer

spence

I hate idle gossip & the crap that's also on the net However, a story that's now been around for about a decade-(NOTE: 1st caught it on the respected site www.findagrave.com)

However no this story has taken on a life of it's own. It's about Ted Healy-(l896-l937) the creator of the legendary "Three Stooges" starting in the vaudeville days/era & then of course going to Hollywood. Most know it was billed as "Ted Healy and his 3 Stooges"

But in the beginning it was with Shemp & not Curly Howard & when they got a ticket to the big-time during "Hollywoods Golden Age'/"Studio-System"-(1925-1960)

Shemp-(who was also said to be terrified of the violently drunk Healy)

went his separate way to do a series called "Joe Palooka" instead, so Moe brought out the youngest brother in Curly (Jerome Horwitz) to fill in his footsteps

They started at the ultimate "Dream Factory" in Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, appearing in some features & then *Harry Cohn of Columbia Pictures-(dubbed "Poverty Row" "Germ of the 0cean" & other things & *Cohn was dubbed "The Meanest Man in Town"-(the title of a book by James Bacon about the mogul) However, he didn't want Healy, so he then went his own way & appeared in some high profile M-G-M pictures ("San Francisco" "Bombshell") It was well-known in Tinsel-town that fellow MGM star & *Oscar winner *Wallace Beery despised Ted Then things get a bit foggy, Healy was out drinking, again at a famous nightclub-(forget the name right now)& *Beery was there also getting loaded, along with a gangster who hated him even more & a 3rd individual. The fight broke out & all said the 3 beat him to a pulp, even kicking him while on the floor. & instead of going to the hospital, Ted went home & was found dead 3 days later. It's said that the gangster really did most of the beating though. Cuts everywhere on his head Who's also heard of this ever growing story. & when the police investigated, *L.B. Mayer, no fan of *Wally's, but his pictures made $money$ for the studio, immediately sent him on a 3 month cruise so he couldn't immediately be interviewed.

When Moe Howard heard the news he cried like there was no tomorrow

(P.S. I had always read in my movie books that he picked a brawl with 3 sailors instead & they fought in the alley?)

Please send comments

I thank you

You're talking about the Ted Healy murder where Wallace Beery and Cubby Broccoli, of James Bond fame were allegedly involved.

There are a number of murders and/or suicide in old Hollywood where the police never really solved the case to the satisfaction of the rumor mill.

The death of Jean Harlow's husband, MGM Executive Paul Bern, may be the number one example of this. Was it a suicide or was it a murder? If it was a murder, then who killed him?

Then sometimes decades-old Rumours come to fruition and there's closure.

Case in point would be the story of Judy Lewis. But I believe she announced that in an autobiography.

However now new rumors have surfaced about her conception and whether or not there was a crime committed.

So although the initial story has some closure, apparently they're still rumors about all the details.

• Like 1

I hate idle gossip & the crap that's also on the net However, a story that's now been around for about a decade-(NOTE: 1st caught it on the respected site www.findagrave.com)

However no this story has taken on a life of it's own. It's about Ted Healy-(l896-l937) the creator of the legendary "Three Stooges" starting in the vaudeville days/era & then of course going to Hollywood. Most know it was billed as "Ted Healy and his 3 Stooges"

But in the beginning it was with Shemp & not Curly Howard & when they got a ticket to the big-time during "Hollywoods Golden Age'/"Studio-System"-(1925-1960)

Shemp-(who was also said to be terrified of the violently drunk Healy)

went his separate way to do a series called "Joe Palooka" instead, so Moe brought out the youngest brother in Curly (Jerome Horwitz) to fill in his footsteps

They started at the ultimate "Dream Factory" in Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, appearing in some features & then *Harry Cohn of Columbia Pictures-(dubbed "Poverty Row" "Germ of the 0cean" & other things & *Cohn was dubbed "The Meanest Man in Town"-(the title of a book by James Bacon about the mogul) However, he didn't want Healy, so he then went his own way & appeared in some high profile M-G-M pictures ("San Francisco" "Bombshell") It was well-known in Tinsel-town that fellow MGM star & *Oscar winner *Wallace Beery despised Ted Then things get a bit foggy, Healy was out drinking, again at a famous nightclub-(forget the name right now)& *Beery was there also getting loaded, along with a gangster who hated him even more & a 3rd individual. The fight broke out & all said the 3 beat him to a pulp, even kicking him while on the floor. & instead of going to the hospital, Ted went home & was found dead 3 days later. It's said that the gangster really did most of the beating though. Cuts everywhere on his head Who's also heard of this ever growing story. & when the police investigated, *L.B. Mayer, no fan of *Wally's, but his pictures made $money$ for the studio, immediately sent him on a 3 month cruise so he couldn't immediately be interviewed.

When Moe Howard heard the news he cried like there was no tomorrow

(P.S. I had always read in my movie books that he picked a brawl with 3 sailors instead & they fought in the alley?)

Please send comments

I thank you

Rumors are "growing" about Beery more than 65 years after his death and at a time when most people don't even know who he was?

• Like 1

I'd heard some insider rumors on this many times but never confirmed. But Hollywood is full of hidden knowledge, underhanded scams and crimes and the lot. Banned films and footage that could be incriminating of people like Joan Crawford. Having a friend who authored a book on banned films and ones that were locked up I have heard it all. So when I see what is supposedly a "banned' film like "Visions of Ecstasy" I don't find it very shocking at all compared to what has gone down in reality in the film business since day one.

There are some connections between the deaths of Thelma Todd (1935) and Ted Healy (1937).

Todd was seen in the Trocadero nightclub two nights before her body was found in car in a garage.

Healy's beaten body was found behind the same Trocadero.

On her last night at the restaurant Todd had an unpleasant encounter with ex-husband Pat Di Cicco.

Di Cicco is the third man, along with Beery and Broccoli, reputed by unproven rumours to be involved in the Healy beating.

Beery, by the way, took a very sudden European vacation immediately after Healy's death.

• Like 1

There are some connections between the deaths of Thelma Todd (1935) and Ted Healy (1937).

Todd was seen in the Trocadero nightclub two nights before her body was found in car in a garage.

Healy's beaten body was found behind the same Trocadero.

On her last night at the restaurant Todd had an unpleasant encounter with ex-husband Pat Di Cicco.

Di Cicco is the third man, along with Beery and Broccoli, reputed by unproven rumours to be involved in the Healy beating.

Beery, by the way, took a very sudden European vacation immediately after Healy's death.

So Beery was also involved in Todd's murder? It looks as if his stealing stuff from the MGM sets was REALLY small potatoes.

• Like 1

So Beery was also involved in Todd's murder? It looks as if his stealing stuff from the MGM sets was REALLY small potatoes.

You read too fast, DGF. Read my post again, and slooow down as you do it. If you come to the same conclusion, please let me know how you arrived there.

You read too fast, DGF. Read my post again, and slooow down as you do it. If you come to the same conclusion, please let me know how you arrived there.

LOL. I highly doubt he was involved in Todd's but does seem suspicious about Healy

Just another example oif this growing story-(& as someone said, so what, he's long gone0 but the truth should still be known0

There's yet another "Three Stoges" docu available on toutube & 1 of them is w/Healy. I first heard of this via the highly respected & no gossipy site (find a grave) about 10yrs ago

& I know Ted was also well-known to be a true sob-(like *Beery) matter of fact, *Wally is always on the short list of Hollywoods all-time "Most Difficult Stars"

Along with Bankhead, *Yul Brynner, Donlevy, C. Bennett, Mario Lanza, Besser, Pernell Roberts, W.C. & I hate to admit it but my #2 idols>*Tracy & *Sinatra.

Shelley long's also known to be a true problem

I remember hearing that rumor  about Beery being a murderer at least 40 years ago. Rumors like that use to float around for a while then be put to  rest for a decade or two. Now with the internet and social media those things get dug up and stay alive. Is it true? I doubt we'll ever know. Even if it were proved 100% false the rumor would still be going around.

• Like 1

I remember hearing that rumor about Beery being a murderer at least 40 years ago. Rumors like that use to float around for a while then be put to rest for a decade or two. Now with the internet and social media those things get dug up and stay alive. Is it true? I doubt we'll ever know. Even if it were proved 100% false the rumor would still be going around.

And even if it was hundred percent true, the evidence and details died with Howard Strickling.

Unsure what his exact title was at MGM, but he was in charge of publicity (good and squashing bad); protecting stars when they got in trouble, etc.....

Public relations? ("Sounds like something dirty" Bette to Olivia in Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte....)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings