Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pitt & *Jolie were no Burton & *Taylor!!!

spence

Only wrote this because it's-(ridiculously) all over the news at present about the break up of acting team & married couple: Brad Pitt-(l963-) & *Oscar winner *Angelina Jolie-(l975-)

In comparing them to *Elizabeth Taylor-(l932-2011) and Richard Burton-(l925-1984) who were huge, especially during the 1960's & made several px together

It's a stretch to call them an acting team though, they only made (2) together "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" a massive hit thought at $282m. & a film she helmed last year that was said to be so lousy it didn't even get a wide release?

Plus, they are so starved in our era to have genuine "Great Stars" i.e. Cary Grant, *"The King: Clark Gable" Garbo, *Tracy & *Hepburn, *Bogie, *John Wayne, Dietrich & a ton of others from "Hollywoods Golden Age"-(l925-60) that the current media stretches mediocre celebs into the supposed realm of greatness that it's just pathetic.

See as an example TV's "ET" "Access Hollywood" "TMZ" they actually have to explain who the person is they are covering, it's pathetic?

& for the media to say these celebs-(*Jolie/Pitt) in the same breath (w/*Taylor/Burton) is insulting!

Plus, equally pathetic today is the current crop of movie comics-(Kevin Hart, Amy Schumer. Jack Black,etc) in comparison with such all-time greats as (*Chaplin, Keaton, Fields, Marx Brothers, Stan & 0llie & so on)

I like & respect *Jolie though & richly deserved her 1999 *Oscar (s. actress) for Winona Ryder's "Girl, Interrupted" ($30m.) (***) though she's not as good a director, not yet anyway & Pitt can be good ("Snatch" "Benjamin Button")

THEY JUST AREN'T GENUINE HEAVYWEIGHTS

They're adults-or are supposed to be.  It's not about them but six kids who are joining the split-level families club through no fault of their own.  The most important thing is their emotional, spiritual and psychological health, safety and financial security. 

This is really not a surprise.  After all it was his second time around and her third.  The experts tell us each preceding marriage failure lessens the probable success of the next.  If I sound callus towards 'Brangelina" it's because my siblings and I have been down this road and the kids get my sympathy.  All the money in the world won't make up for what they're about to go through.       

• Like 1

But maybe to their generation of fans, they are as "big" as Burton & Taylor. Comparing stars of one era to stars of another era is not an exact science.

The movie business has changed so much since the Golden Age of Hollywood - - so that you really can't compare it today with what it was in the Golden Era. It was more or less the only game in town.

However, I think you can make a fair discussion about comparing the acting ability of any movie star with another, from a different era or not, if all the subjects have a number of versatile films that we can view.

So if you're talking about the level of acting, I think that's a viable discussion up for grabs.

But even though Brad and Angelina are not as glamorous or as talented as Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor - - my subjective opinion naturally--in this day and age, I think they are just as famous on the same level. And caused just as much interest in the media.

And I'm even old enough to remember, not just Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor, but the Elizabeth Taylor, Debbie Reynolds and Eddie Fisher Love Triangle Scandal- - now that was really something! LOL

• Like 1

But even though Brad and Angelina are not as glamorous or as talented as Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor - - my subjective opinion naturally--in this day and age, I think they are just as famous on the same level. And caused just as much interest in the media.

I agree. There's an over awareness of them, just as there was an over awareness of Burton & Taylor.

Of course, years after Burton had died and Taylor was near the end of her life, she was selling off some of his letters to Vanity Fair magazine. We may have Angelina sharing emails and texts Brad wrote her...in about thirty years, after she's played Pearl Slaghoople in a remake of THE FLINTSTONES.

• Like 1

Burton was a heavyweight drunk, that's for sure.

Taylor didn't look any too chipper a lot of the time herself..

Richard Burton was a heavyweight Shakespearean Hamlet.

Elizabeth Taylor was the most beautiful female movie star in the twilight years of The Golden Age of Hollywood.

In fact, Liz Taylor was the last iconic movie star of the golden era.

• Like 1

Well, Liz sure did become a "heavyweight"  for a while there, didn't she?  ;)

But as for Brad and Jolie, I really couldn't care less.  Sure, it's a bit sad as so many KIDS are involved, but the news isn't really uppermost in my mind or particular interest.  My life isn't so vapid I need to feed off the goings on of overbloated egos to get by.

Sepiatone

Let's not forget Hollywood's first royal couple in the '20s, Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks.

fairbank.jpg

She was the most popular actress in the world at the time and he was certainly one of the most popular actors, the star of numerous swashbuckling fantasies. They would be two of the co-founders of United Artists, along with Charlie Chaplin (Fairbanks was his best friend) and D. W. Griffith. They would both be instrumental in the founding of the Motion Picture Academy, with Mary being the recipient of the second Best Actress Oscar.

Doug and Mary's 1920 honeymoon in London and Paris had riots in the streets, with thousands of fans turning out to see them. At one moment Fairbanks can be seen lifting his wife upon his shoulder in order to get them through the crowds.

Their Hollywood home, Pickfair, was regarded as the place to which one could receive an invitation in the movie capital. Among the dignitaries and internationally renowned to dine there were Winston Churchill, George Bernard Shaw, Amelia Earhardt, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Helen Keller and Albert Einstein.

Pickfairpc.JPG

Fairbanks had known Pickford for a few years prior to their marriage. In 1916 they went for a drive in his car soon after the death of his mother. At one moment Fairbanks finally broke down and wept uncontrollably.

After his emotional outburst had subsided they noticed that the clock on his car had stopped, and estimated that it had stopped at the same time at which Fairbanks had started to cry. The words "By the clock" became a repeated incantation between them, a symbolic bond over the years. Repeating these words to each other helped to strengthen themselves at times of great emotional stress.

Strains in their marriage would bring about their divorce in 1936. According to Douglas Fairbanks Jr., though, they continued to have feelings for one another afterward.

In 1939 Fairbanks died, one day after suffering a heart attack. In his final hours, feeling an great urgency, he gave an instruction to his brother, Robert, for a message to be conveyed to Mary should something happen to him.

Douglas Fairbanks Jr. wrote the following in his autobiography, Salad Days:

Uncle Bob carried out Dad's request the next morning, as promised. He telephoned Mary, who was in Chicago, and reported, "Late yesterday Douglas told me to tell you - 'by the clock.'" Mary was silent. Later she made a lovely statement: "He passed from our mortal life quickly and spontaneously, as he did everything in life, but it is impossible to believe that vibrant and gay spirit could ever perish."

• Like 3

This bit of news doesn't surprise me at all.

Now, IF Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson ever announce THEIR divorce, THAT would surprise me, 'cause they seem perfectly suited.

(...but then again and just from what I've seen of Ms. Wilson over the years, you'd have to be a real idiot to want a divorce from her, 'cause I think SHE'S a real doll with a great personality...love her smile and laugh, especially)

The movie business has changed so much since the Golden Age of Hollywood - - so that you really can't compare it today with what it was in the Golden Era. It was more or less the only game in town.

However, I think you can make a fair discussion about comparing the acting ability of any movie star with another, from a different era or not, if all the subjects have a number of versatile films that we can view.

So if you're talking about the level of acting, I think that's a viable discussion up for grabs.

And I'm even old enough to remember, not just Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor, but the Elizabeth Taylor, Debbie Reynolds and Eddie Fisher Love Triangle Scandal- - now that was really something! LOL

Well during the height of their adulterous scandal while filming CLEOPATRA in Rome in 1962, Liz was attacked in both the U.S. Congress and by the Vatican, not to mention Women's Groups worldwide. I don't think anything Brad and/or Angelina do will get that type of reaction. In fact, Liz Taylor basically set the template for today's stars' scandalous behavior, but nothing now has nearly the impact that Taylor-Burton did half a century ago.

• Like 1

I don't think anything Brad and/or Angelina do will get that type of reaction. In fact, Liz Taylor basically set the template for today's stars' scandalous behavior, but nothing now has nearly the impact that Taylor-Burton did half a century ago.

Man, if Ingrid Bergman were still alive she would be SO PEEVED**

**- not my original word choice.

• Like 3

Well during the height of their adulterous scandal while filming CLEOPATRA in Rome in 1962, Liz was attacked in both the U.S. Congress and by the Vatican, not to mention Women's Groups worldwide. I don't think anything Brad and/or Angelina do will get that type of reaction. In fact, Liz Taylor basically set the template for today's stars' scandalous behavior, but nothing now has nearly the impact that Taylor-Burton did half a century ago.

Yeah, times have changed. Anything goes now and no one bats an eye. LOL!

• Like 1

Well, if you add it all up they were together about as long as Burton and Taylor. They are big stars so frankly, they are about the same.

Regardless of the era, studio or otherwise, the media was intrusive then and is now. And they make their money on big stars. So in that respect ,they were about the same too. They were the couple who lived the life many fans wished to live. They have that in common also.

I think sometimes we look back on the past with rose colored glasses. Many of those stars of yesteryear's images have only become larger over time. So no one of today could match up with someone who's career has been admired for over 60 years.

• Like 2

I think sometimes we look back on the past with rose colored glasses. Many of those stars of yesteryear's images have only become larger over time. So no one of today could match up with someone who's career has been admired for over 60 years.

And how will today's stars be regarded sixty years from now? How rose colored will those glasses be?

Well, if you add it all up they were together about as long as Burton and Taylor. They are big stars so frankly, they are about the same.

Regardless of the era, studio or otherwise, the media was intrusive then and is now. And they make their money on big stars. So in that respect ,they were about the same too. They were the couple who lived the life many fans wished to live. They have that in common also.

Well as far as being stars,  they are near the same level.  But in no way did they have the impact of the Burton-Taylor scandal and resulting tabloid coverage until  they finally broke up. Was different times then.

• Like 2

Well as far as being stars,  they are near the same level.  But in no way did they have the impact of the Burton-Taylor scandal and resulting tabloid coverage until  they finally broke up. Was different times then.

Give them time, the divorce is just beginning. They are still lawyering up. The best might be yet to come. Wait till the name calling and accusations begin to fly. I have the feeling its going to be a doozy !

This bit of news doesn't surprise me at all.

Now, IF Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson ever announce THEIR divorce, THAT would surprise me, 'cause they seem perfectly suited.

(...but then again and just from what I've seen of Ms. Wilson over the years, you'd have to be a real idiot to want a divorce from her, 'cause I think SHE'S a real doll with a great personality...love her smile and laugh, especially)

Sure.  And Rita's barmaid outfit in THAT THING YOU DO didn't hurt the eye either!  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Talk about double standards....Mickey Rooney was married as many times as Liz Taylor was, but I don't remember him being vilified in public circles the way she was.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings