Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

*"Casablanca" is the winner on TCM's Fanatics page!!!

spence

I already posted about this excellent & I think fairly new FB page "TCM Fanatics (A Celebration of Hollywoods Golden Age") on here, in the hopes that others not only may find it of interest, but also vote for their own all-time favorite's in THE MOVIES poll I started on Friday.

& especially, given we've yet to conduct such a survey within these marvelous forums???

Anyway, the fans voted the legendary *"CASABLANCA" as the winner by (9)

"It's a Wonderful Life' was the runner-up (6)

I thought "Vertigo" won until the site added it up on top?

We just started a #2nd poll of "ALL-TIME WORST?"

Then will begin on performers,etc

please reply & check it out & I THANK YOU :D

I already posted about this excellent & I think fairly new FB page "TCM Fanatics (A Celebration of Hollywoods Golden Age") on here, in the hopes that others not only may find it of interest, but also vote for their own all-time favorite's in THE MOVIES poll I started on Friday.

& especially, given we've yet to conduct such a survey within these marvelous forums???

Anyway, the fans voted the legendary *"CASABLANCA" as the winner by (9)

"It's a Wonderful Life' was the runner-up (6)

I thought "Vertigo" won until the site added it up on top?

We just started a #2nd poll of "ALL-TIME WORST?"

Then will begin on performers,etc

please reply & check it out & I THANK YOU :D

How many people voted?   Sound like less then 50 or so.    

How many people voted?   Sound like less then 50 or so.    

THANX JAMES, I wanted a lot more to cast votes, that are listed as members-(it's a closed group until you apply of course. They always accept fans though)

& there were quite a few that didn't vote, unfortunately

But, it's editing team did as well

YOU SHOULD CHECK IT OUT

& NOW, "THE WORST"

THEN ALL-TIME ACTORS & ACTRESSES-(maybe directors at a later date)

I've always liked to see fans fav. performers over films myself  It sometimes gives an indication of that individual

(YOUR A FELLOW *CAGNEY FAN?)

THANX JAMES, I wanted a lot more to cast votes, that are listed as members-(it's a closed group until you apply of course. They always accept fans though)

& there were quite a few that didn't vote, unfortunately

But, it's editing team did as well

YOU SHOULD CHECK IT OUT

& NOW, "THE WORST"

THEN ALL-TIME ACTORS & ACTRESSES-(maybe directors at a later date)

I've always liked to see fans fav. performers over films myself  It sometimes gives an indication of that individual

(YOUR A FELLOW *CAGNEY FAN?)

Thanks for the invite but I don't use FB for many reasons (the biggest one being that I don't trust the company and how they are using users info to make money).

Well regardless of whether I am a fanatic or not...Casablanca is number one on my page anytime, anywhere.  As I have stated in earlier posts on other topics..when it comes to my idea of heaven it's the following:

A long term stay at Rick's, all the good gin (Tanqueray) and tonic water I am able to consume, all the customers the same as those in the movie with the addition of Winston Churchill...I am sure Rick's had good champagne, for all the conversation I am able to have...I know Major Strasser will object but who cares, he lost the war. 

I'm not on Facebook either and never will be, but I'm not at all surprised that "Casablanca,"  and "It's a Wonderful Life," have been voted the top two classic films.  I think, if you asked the average man on the street to vote for their favorite classic films they would name those two as best, simply  because they may well be the only two they have seen.  Besides,  it's well known that the critics have always put, "Casablanca," close to, or at, the top of their lists so that would influence votes.  

Not that they aren't good movies, but they would never make my top ten, because now that I've seen hundreds of other classic films on TCM, there are just quite a few that I like better.  I'll take strong female characters like Stella Dallas and Mildred Pierce over Ingrid Bergman's passive woman in "Casablanca," any day.

I'm not on Facebook either and never will be, but I'm not at all surprised that "Casablanca,"  and "It's a Wonderful Life," have been voted the top two classic films.  I think, if you asked the average man on the street to vote for their favorite classic films they would name those two as best, simply  because they may well be the only two they have seen.  Besides,  it's well known that the critics have always put, "Casablanca," close to, or at, the top of their lists so that would influence votes.  

Not that they aren't good movies, but they would never make my top ten, because now that I've seen hundreds of other classic films on TCM, there are just quite a few that I like better.  I'll take strong female characters like Stella Dallas and Mildred Pierce over Ingrid Bergman's passive woman in "Casablanca," any day.

I agree those two films are not a surprise but I wonder where Citizen Kane landed in the ranking (more of a critic darling unlike Casablanca which is generally loved by both the public and the critics).

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

As I wrote many months ago & in one of the (#13 polls) I conducted on tcm's FB companion pc. "CASABLANCA" was exact same winner on there as well   (directly from (tcmfanatics.) facebook & it's growing w/each day too!)

Other polls I held  fav. actor: Spencer Tracy"-(I know a surprise to all, even over Bogart?)

Actress: Bette Davis by a lot

Directors: Hitch

Movie Comedians: Bob Hope surprisingly was the fans favorite)

Comedy: "Arsenic & Old Lace" was their favorite)

Composers: J. Williams

Westerns: "The Searchers" won

War: "Apocalypse Now"

Musicals: "Signin' In the Rain" or it was "Wizard of 0z"

Horror/Thrillers: "Psycho"

&a few more

• 5 weeks later...

Please help, these were by my own scientific polls on (TCM FANATICS-(A CELEBRATION OF HOLLYWOODS GOLDEN AGE) on PG

& all was fine, editor JOHN BALL was the one that suggested I poll the fans on there    I did about (3) more as well & all was cool, then all of a sudden the blocke'd me out &* for reasons I simply can't understand???

ANY SUGGESTIONS

Personally I m certain this is a 2nd string editor that did this though

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings