Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Statistical look at 79 Bette Davis Movies

ClassicMovieRankings

I traveled 6,000 miles (from Va Beach to Los Angeles) to see the Warner Brothers Ledgers at USC...the fruits of my labor? Worldwide box office grosses on 53 of Bette Davis' movies. Just updated our Davis page to show the new numbers....all on one page...and NO ADS! Just Bette stats.

http://www.ultimatemovierankings.com/bette-davis-movies/

• Like 1

I traveled 6,000 miles (from Va Beach to Los Angeles) to see the Warner Brothers Ledgers at USC...the fruits of my labor? Worldwide box office grosses on 53 of Bette Davis' movies. Just updated our Davis page to show the new numbers....all on one page...and NO ADS! Just Bette stats.

http://www.ultimatemovierankings.com/bette-davis-movies/

Thanks for yet another interesting thread.   Davis is my favorite actress.    One of my goals is to let people know that Davis did many different and varied performances;   too many people view her based on a Vegas impersonator \  Baby Jane only act.

• Like 1

Hey James....glad you liked this page.....she has been more of more popular pages since 2011....normally in a neck and neck race with Joan Crawford for most views (I have always found that to be very interesting).  Lately Bette has been pulling away from Joan in that regard.

I think most serious movie fans know that Bette was one of the most versatile actresses ever....2nd on the AFI Screen Legends list.....and it was a well deserved placing.  I think (and I have looked many times) that this is easily the best statistical look at her awesome career anywhere on the internet.  I greatly appreciate your feedback.

Hey James....glad you liked this page.....she has been more of more popular pages since 2011....normally in a neck and neck race with Joan Crawford for most views (I have always found that to be very interesting).  Lately Bette has been pulling away from Joan in that regard.

I think most serious movie fans know that Bette was one of the most versatile actresses ever....2nd on the AFI Screen Legends list.....and it was a well deserved placing.  I think (and I have looked many times) that this is easily the best statistical look at her awesome career anywhere on the internet.  I greatly appreciate your feedback.

I like to compare the domestic box office 'rank' (a reflection of the general public) with the critic score, with the overall UMR score. 

Some observations related to that:

All About Eve;   well deserved critic score but solid box office.  I would also rank this as the 'best' production she was involved in and one of her top 3 performances.

Jezebel,  Now Voyager, Dark Victory;   These 'women pictures' have high critic scores (and I assume a majority of the critics are men).    While the plots might not be the most interesting for men,  I assume Davis being at the top of her game during this period is the primary driver of the rank.

The Little Foxes;   No wonder Davis felt cheated by Warner for loaning her out for < 400K while she was earning only 3k a week.  She did end up with a share of the payment but she would have been better off getting a share of the gross.   Goldwyn made a mint on that deal.

Mr. Skeffington;   I'm surprised the box office for this film is higher than any of the above films mentioned.   The critic rank is what is driving down the UMR ranking.    While I do enjoy the film and the many 'out there' moments in it I tend to agree with that critic rank.

The Petrified Forest;  This is my favorite film (since Howard\Davis are my favorite actor\actress).   Nice to see the 82 critic rank.  Yea, the film is criticized for the stage feel,   the dialog of this film is what makes it for me.    Those early scenes between just Davis and Howard; oh, I could listen to these two all day long.   

Right after Forest is Marked Women;  a gem made after Davis returned from England after her 'boycott'.   Solid all around and the film that I view as the start of her golden era.

It's Love I'm After;   This comedy isn't as well know as many other 30s comedies but it is one of my favorite from the screwball era.   Of course with a cast of Howard\Davis\DeHavilland how could it miss!

Hey James....that is a fantastic breakdown on some of her movies.  I really enjoyed reading your breakdown of the stats and how they effected the UMR score.  All About Eve had everything stat wise...the only thing missing was an Oscar win for Davis...in hindsight her loss to Judy Holliday makes no sense.

When I was going through the Warner Brothers ledgers...I kept looking and looking for The Little Foxes....it was not until my drive from Los Angeles to Las Vegas that I remembered that The Little Foxes was one of the few times Warners loaned her out. 

Mrs. Skeffington only trailed A Stolen Life domestically and Now, Voyager globally in box office.  I thinking at that point in her career she was at the top of the mountain.  And everything she made sold tickets, got great reviews and got some Oscar love.  I imagine it might be the most successful 5 to 6 year run for any actress ever!

I have not seen It's Love I Am After....but your comment makes me want to check it out.

Once again.....it was truly a pleasure reading this feedback....makes all the hard work seem very worth well doing.

• Like 1

Hey James....that is a fantastic breakdown on some of her movies.  I really enjoyed reading your breakdown of the stats and how they effected the UMR score.  All About Eve had everything stat wise...the only thing missing was an Oscar win for Davis...in hindsight her loss to Judy Holliday makes no sense.

When I was going through the Warner Brothers ledgers...I kept looking and looking for The Little Foxes....it was not until my drive from Los Angeles to Las Vegas that I remembered that The Little Foxes was one of the few times Warners loaned her out. 

Mrs. Skeffington only trailed A Stolen Life domestically and Now, Voyager globally in box office.  I thinking at that point in her career she was at the top of the mountain.  And everything she made sold tickets, got great reviews and got some Oscar love.  I imagine it might be the most successful 5 to 6 year run for any actress ever!

I have not seen It's Love I Am After....but your comment makes me want to check it out.

Once again.....it was truly a pleasure reading this feedback....makes all the hard work seem very worth well doing.

I was surprised by the box office take of A Stolen Life.   I guess having more then one Bette helped (ha ha).

Yea,  that 6 or so year run was the most successful of any actress with only Greer Garson having anything close to it.   

Hope you get a chance to see It's Love I'm After.    After making two dramas with Howard this film allowed both stars to let their hair down.    I just love seeing first rates actors in a farce.   The two had great dynamic timing and this carried over in this comedy.   While DeHavilland was inexperienced in this type of setting (e.g. she had mostly starred in historical dramas up to this point),  she worked well with both Howard and Davis (but she was somewhat intimidated by Davis and they wouldn't become close friends until years later).

• Like 1

Nice job with all the data, and we appreciate your hard work.

I do want to point out that ALL ABOUT EVE is an ensemble drama, and Bette doesn't play the title character. So I think it's a little unfair to give her most of the credit for the film's success. It was truly a team effort. And my guy, George Sanders, is the one who earned an Oscar for it. Just sayin'.

• Like 1

Not only Bette Davis gave the performance of her career in All About Eve but George Sanders, Celeste Holm, Anne Baxter, and the rest of the cast are  at their best. Even Marilyn Monroe steals a scene or two. And there's great work also from Alfred Newman, Edith Head, Barbara McLean, and the rest of the crew. And Joseph L. Mankiewicz. His screenplay is sharp and witty, and his direction is quick, strong, and observant. Rather than a Bette Davis movie, I've always considered All About Eve a Joseph L. Mankiewicz film.

• Like 2

Not only Bette Davis gave the performance of her career in All About Eve but George Sanders, Celeste Holm, Anne Baxter, and the rest of the cast are  at their best. Even Marilyn Monroe steals a scene or two. And there's great work also from Alfred Newman, Edith Head, Barbara McLean, and the rest of the crew. And Joseph L. Mankiewicz. His screenplay is sharp and witty, and his direction is quick, strong, and observant. Rather than a Bette Davis movie, I've always considered All About Eve a Joseph L. Mankiewicz film.

It's a film that belongs to all of them, in front of and behind the camera.

Those Warner Brothers films in the late 30s and 40 were Bette Davis films built around her talents. But ALL ABOUT EVE was a film that Bette Davis happened to be in. Big difference. And as we know, she wasn't the first choice for the role of Margo Channing. She gives an incredible performance, but then, they all do.

• Like 1

It's a film that belongs to all of them, in front of and behind the camera.

Those Warner Brothers films in the late 30s and 40 were Bette Davis films built around her talents. But ALL ABOUT EVE was a film that Bette Davis happened to be in. Big difference. And as we know, she wasn't the first choice for the role of Margo Channing. She gives an incredible performance, but then, they all do.

I agree with both Arsan404 and you as it relates to All About Eve,  which is why I posted:  "I would also rank this as the 'best' production she was involved in".

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings