Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Herschell Gordon Lewis 1929-2016. His Blood Feast revolutionized modern horror

Swithin

Herschell Gordon Lewis, a giant of the modern horror film has died:

"Often credited as the creator of the splatter film, and an inspiration to John Carpenter, Wes Craven, John Waters, Quentin Tarantino and other filmmakers, Mr. Lewis graduated from the soft-core sex films known as nudie cuties to explore the lurid world of mayhem, torture and mass murder in a spate of films that traditional theaters would not touch with a 10-foot pole."

blood-feast-11.jpg?w=559

"Have you ever had...an EGYPTIAN FEAST?"  

Mal Arnold as Fuad Ramses in Blood Feast

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/28/movies/herschell-gordon-lewis-a-pioneer-of-gore-cinema-dies-at-90.html?hpw&rref=obituaries&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well&_r=0

• Like 3

Herschell Gordon Lewis, a giant of the modern horror film has died:

"Often credited as the creator of the splatter film, and an inspiration to John Carpenter, Wes Craven, John Waters, Quentin Tarantino and other filmmakers, Mr. Lewis graduated from the soft-core sex films known as nudie cuties to explore the lurid world of mayhem, torture and mass murder in a spate of films that traditional theaters would not touch with a 10-foot pole."

blood-feast-11.jpg?w=559

"Have you ever had...an EGYPTIAN FEAST?"  

Mal Arnold as Fuad Ramses in Blood Feast

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/28/movies/herschell-gordon-lewis-a-pioneer-of-gore-cinema-dies-at-90.html?hpw&rref=obituaries&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well&_r=0

yeah, he's right up there with john ford and william wyler. :lol:

• 5 months later...

I remember seeing "Blood Feast" and "2000 Maniacs" on TCM during Halloween of 2008, and I was intrigued enough to buy a few DVDs and Blu-rays of his work.  New Blu-rays of his work recently came out (which I bought), and they included newly inserted missing footage of "2000 Maniacs."  In old copies of the film there were jump cuts that indicated shots were missing.  The new Blu-ray restored many of those.

Many of his films are/were available through Something Weird. I've seen:

Blood Feast (1963)

Scum of the Earth! (1963)

Two Thousand Maniacs! (1964)

Monster a-Go Go (1965)

Color Me Blood Red (1965)

A Taste of Blood (1967)

The Gruesome Twosome (1967)

Something Weird (1967)

Blast-Off Girls (1967)

She-Devils on Wheels (1968)

The Alley Tramp (1968)

Just for the Hell of It (1968)

The Wizard of Gore (1970)

This Stuff'll Kill Ya! (1971)

Year of the Yahoo! (1972)

The Gore Gore Girls (1972)

Blood Feast 2: All U Can Eat (2002)

Other than the Blood Trilogy, I particularly liked Scum of the Earth and Something Weird.

This Blu-ray offers 3 more Lewis flms: 

ECSTASIES OF WOMEN (1969) is a torrid comedy/drama set in the swinging world of late 60s Los Angeles.

LINDA AND ABILENE (1969) combines the savagery of a classic Hollywood western with sequences of intense eroticism.

BLACK LOVE (1971) exposes the lovemaking habits of the contemporary black couple through a series of amusing and creative vignettes.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings