Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mystery Photos from the Library of Congress

Richard Kimble

I am always amazed by those who know such obscure facts about early film.

The LOC Mostly Lost "shout out" event must be a blast!

When friends comment "you know everything about old, classic film", I am humbled realizing I know NOTHING compared to those folks.

• Like 1

When friends comment "you know everything about old, classic film", I am humbled realizing I know NOTHING compared to those folks.

I've been to the Mostly Lost events at the Library of Congress, and in addition to trying to identify unknown films there are mystery stills there for the experts to study and hopefully identify. I have sent in stills of my own that need identification, and also have helped with identifying some of those submitted by others. Also have met and helped (at least a little...) the person who posted that link to LoC mystery stills. 

• Like 1

U R top person here Tiki.

A Guess for "Mystery Photos #8: Mysterious Silents" photo number 2", where an addition to the post said the name "Walter Miller" was written on the back.  Walter Miller was a serial star from the 1910's through the early to mid 1930's. TCM lists 151 credits for him.  IMDB lists 263 acting credits for Miller.  I went through the credits and closest match seemed to be "Queen of the Northwoods" (1929).  TCM didn't have any photos, but looking at the cast photos IMDB has, I Think the man in the middle may be George Magrill, based on the facial features and the severe part in his hair in the still, which matches the part in his IMDB photo.  The other two people in the still I can't identify.  If nothing else, I hope the information about Walter Miller helps.

If it is from "Queen Of The Northwoods", and I suspect that it is, then the photo is probably of 

Ethylene Clair, George Magrill, and Walter Miller.  Miller played the hero, a Mountie.  Ethylene Clair was also Hoot Gibson's leading lady in several pictures.  Veteran western character actor Tom London played the villain, the Wolf Devil.  Here is a short clip: 

If it is from "Queen Of The Northwoods", and I suspect that it is, then the photo is probably of 

Ethylene Clair, George Magrill, and Walter Miller.  Miller played the hero, a Mountie.  Ethylene Clair was also Hoot Gibson's leading lady in several pictures.

Thanks for finding that clip. I also thought this might be from Queen of the Northwoods because of the costumes. But if it is, I don't think that actor in the center is George Magrill, especially since his character is listed as "Captain Bolt." The actor appears to be a villain, which makes me think it might be Frank Lackteen, who usually played creeps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Photo Blog #12: Reel Mysteries:

http://blogs.loc.gov/now-see-hear/2016/11/photo-blog-12-reel-mysteries/

This time in the Library’s ongoing series of “mystery stills,” we return to what are probably film stills from some very obscure films. We welcome your assistance in telling us the titles or any of the performers pictured.

4xqmADY.jpg

32795n9.jpg

tqUgRNe.jpg

BLLdkT2.jpg

32795n9.jpg

I believe that this photo is from "Child Bride", a 1938 exploitation film that was shown on TCM a few years ago.  In this scene, the schoolteacher, played by actress Diana Durrell in her one and only movie, is pulled from her home in the middle of the night by hooded hillbillies.  Just as she is about to be tortured, she is saved by some good hillbillies with a shotgun.  A rather bad copy can be seen on YouTube.

32795n9.jpg

I believe that this photo is from "Child Bride", a 1938 exploitation film that was shown on TCM a few years ago.  In this scene, the schoolteacher, played by actress Diana Durrell in her one and only movie, is pulled from her home in the middle of the night by hooded hillbillies.  Just as she is about to be tortured, she is saved by some good hillbillies with a shotgun.  A rather bad copy can be seen on YouTube.

She is about to be tarred and feathered, a common practice back then.  

32795n9.jpg

Miles, you're correct! You should post this on the library of congress website. They would like to know.

• 4 weeks later...

http://blogs.loc.gov/now-see-hear/2016/12/photo-blog-13-men-of-mystery/

Photo Blog #13: Men of Mystery

Here is another set of unknowns.  These gentlemen may be actors, or they may be directors, writers, producers.  And some might not be affiliated with film/TV at all–perhaps they are captains of industry, or TV hosts, or local anchormen.  Regardless, we welcome your thoughts as to who they might be.

ntSp2EH.jpg

BoTUgFJ.jpg

JWzeXLU.jpg

ya know moore then any 1 here, tiki.

• 6 months later...

http://blogs.loc.gov/now-see-hear/2017/06/photo-blog-15-cowboys-and-question-marks/

Photo Blog #17: Cowboys and Question Marks

This, #17 in the LOC’s mystery movie-still blog, is all Western-themed. Westerns were, of course, one of Hollywood’s most popular genres and thousands of them have been produced over the years. Hence, some of the stars and titles of them have, not surprisingly, faded from memory. So we need your help to tell us who and in some cases what.

mjGjDHt.jpg

UD3bDKc.jpgXOXRTuW.jpg

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings