Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

December Schedule Is Up

LawrenceA

Couldn't help but notice 4 days are missing from the schedule - 22nd to the 25th. Maybe TCM is going off the air for a Christmas vacation this year?

You may be aware of this already, but the last link may have a typo and jumped to the 26th instead of starting on the 22nd.  Here is an earlier link with the missing days:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=PST&sdate=2016-12-22

Thanks again to LawrenceA for posting the info.

• Like 2

You may be aware of this already, but the last link may have a typo and jumped to the 26th instead of starting on the 22nd.  Here is an earlier link with the missing days:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=PST&sdate=2016-12-22

Thanks again to LawrenceA for posting the info.

Thanks for the fix...I was half asleep when I posted that last night. ;)

• Like 1

Thanks Larry for starting this thread. As I just wrote in a message to another poster:

I think there's an error, which may or may not get fixed closer to December. They are doing the Christmas Classics theme every Thursday. But on the 8th, they have put Tennessee Williams, which I think is supposed to be on the 12th. The Christmas Classics on the 12th should be on the 8th. Do you see what I'm referring to? Otherwise, they have one week where Christmas Classics air twice, and a week where none air at all.

The annual In Memoriam salute -- scheduled for Thursday, December 29th and early Friday, December 30th -- focuses on the following performers who died in 2016:

• "Cool Hand Luke" (1967) -- George Kennedy.
  • "Two Girls and a Sailor" (1944) -- Gloria DeHaven. 
  • "Sense and Sensibility" (1995) -- Alan Rickman.  
  • "The Miracle Worker" (1962) -- Patty Duke. 
  • "West Side Story" (1961) -- Marnie Nixon.
  • "Night into Morning" (1951) -- Nancy Reagan (billed as Nancy Davis).
  • "The Time Machine" (1960) -- Alan Young.

I hope Kirk Douglas doesn't die in late November. It would be awfully embarrassing to come up with a tribute night after overlooking his 100th birthday on December 9th.

• Like 2

I hope Kirk Douglas doesn't die in late November. It would be awfully embarrassing to come up with a tribute night after overlooking his 100th birthday on December 9.

Well, if he passed away in late November, he wouldn't have technically reached 100 so it would weirdly justify TCM not honoring him on the 9th. Though I still think they should have set that day aside for him.

Nancy Davis Reagan had a tribute on TCM in late July. This is the first time I've seen someone get two memorial tributes on the channel since I started watching in 2008.

If everything is kept, a very good December.

Dec. 2nd-- "Massacre" (1934), "The Desert Song" (with exotic Myrna Loy and the "calling Dr Freud" number "The Sabre Song" (that's on YouTube to preview, but has a Lot of hissing and background noise--TCM will clean that noise up, I hope), "Noah's Ark, "The Show of Shows' (the last 3 are 1929).

Dec. 3rd--"The Fox" (1968)--going by User Reviews page. where two viewers thanked TCM for running it, Film hasn't been shown since 2007.

Dec. 5th--"The Jazz Singer" (1927) and "Will Hays Introduces Vitaphone" (1926)--first full length talkie, and a short that preceded 1926's "Don Juan".

Dec. 9th--"Love Me Tonight" (1932), "Scarlet River" and "Penthouse" (both 1933).

Dec. 10th--"Deathwatch" (1980) sounds interesting, and "The Sorcerers" (1967) is good late Karloff, directed by Michael Reeves.

Dec. 19th--"Bon Voyage" (1944)-- an Alfred Hitchcock wartime short.

Dec. 23rd--All the "Thin Man" movies.

Dec. 30th--"The Rains Came" (1939) and "The Love Parade" (1929).

Dec. 31st--"That's Entertainment" Parts I, II, and III, and "That's Dancing" (1985).

• Like 2

Well, if he passed away in late November, he wouldn't have technically reached 100 so it would weirdly justify TCM not honoring him on the 9th. Though I still think they should have set that day aside for him.

It's still his 100th birthday whether he's around to celebrate it or not. If TCM had scheduled a birthday tribute -- and I realize they did it last December -- there would be no need to scramble up one if he dies.

It's still his 100th birthday whether he's around to celebrate it or not. If TCM had scheduled a birthday tribute -- and I realize they did it last December -- there would be no need to scramble up one if he dies.

This sort of happened when Luise Rainer died at the end of 2014. Her 105th birthday was already being celebrated on TCM's January schedule, so it just turned into a Memorial tribute.

Of course, for all we know, Douglas could live longer than Rainer did. There's no way to tell at this point.

Perhaps the Douglas family didn't want a big deal made out of it this year.

The Glass Menagerie (1966) is on twice during December 8th primetime. Could easily replace one by A Cat on Hot Tin Roof

Yes, I noticed that as well. I was hoping the first one was supposed to be the 1950 version with Jane Wyman. If Wyman is Star of the Month in January (her 100th birthday), they could rerun it.

• Like 1

Good Stuff:

A Scandal in Paris ***

The Fox ***

A Trip to Bountiful ***

Rebound ***

Scarlet River ***

Deathwatch ***

Ikiru ****

Sudden Fear ***

Old English ***

Broadway Bill ***

I'd Climb the Highest Mountain ***

8 1/2 ****

Perri ***

Old Yeller ***

The Littlest Outlaw ***

Five ***

• Like 1

Dec. 3rd--"The Fox" (1968)--going by User Reviews page. where two viewers thanked TCM for running it, Film hasn't been shown since 2007.

Well Roll Me Over, they're showing The Fox! Anne Heywood's greatest performance, better even than her performances in The Nun and the Devil and The Awful Story of the Nun of Monza! Seriously, The Fox is a quietly intelligent film of a D.H. Lawrence story.

• Like 3

Don't ever say the programmers aren't paying attention. after years of requesting TCM show SUDDEN FEAR, and mentioning it on the bds. dozens of times, it will be shown Dec14! So excited. Highly recommend this terrific noir for those who haven't seen it before. Joan's performance is great in this. YIPPEE!!!!!! and THANK YOU TCM.

• Like 4

That's good news that "Sudden fear" is going to finally air.   Although it's an RKO film, I think this will be a TCM premiere.  If I'm not mistaken, TCM has never aired this before.

I'm happy to see that George Kennedy will be honored with other film actors and actresses who passed away this year.   I could have sworn that after he passed away this spring, TCM never organized a tribute for him on their schedule.     This, at least, will be something.

Another pleasant surprise is the TCM premiere of the film "The revolt of Mamie Stover".  It's a romantic drama that stars Jane Russell and Richard Egan.   It also co-stars Joan Leslie, in a supporting role.   This was her final feature film, before she gave up acting - at the young age of 31.     I have heard about this movie, but I have not yet had the chance to see it.    Just wondering, has any of you on this message board ever seen this movie?

I've never seen SUDDEN FEAR on TCM. I had to take it out of my local library over the years to see it again. I've requested it many, many times over the years. I'm sure it is a premiere and it's getting special attention since it's an 8pm showing. LOVE this film and Joan's performance.

Andy, if you're out there hope you see it's on ;)

• Like 2

The Revolt of Mamie Stover has been running on FXM Retro recently, and is scheduled to air again on October 8.

Russell is quite good as woman of loose morals who gets exiled to Hawaii just before World War II, using her looks and then people's necessity to liquidate property quickly due to the war to profit. (Yeah, she's amoral.)

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings