Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

December Schedule Is Up

Well Roll Me Over, they're showing The Fox! Anne Heywood's greatest performance, better even than her performances in The Nun and the Devil and The Awful Story of the Nun of Monza! Seriously, The Fox is a quietly intelligent film of a D.H. Lawrence story.

Yes, I hope THE FOX is not bumped from the schedule.

I'm looking forward to that one.

I love Sandy Dennis.

• Like 1

The 1966 CBS Playhouse videotape of The Glass Menagerie? With Shirley Booth, Hal Holbrook, Barbara Loden and Pat Hingle?  Wow!  I thought that only the audio elements survived.  This is wonderful news if true.

I agree!

When I first saw THE GLASS MENAGERIE on the schedule I thought it was that awful version with Jane Wyman and Kirk Douglas with the Hollywood happy ending . . . then I saw the year listed as 1966.

Joanne Woodward was also good in the role of Amanda in a version from the 1980s  (I think) or  maybe the1990s. I saw it in the 1990s

• Like 1

There are a lot of great things scheduled in December.  I know Myrna is played often on TCM, but I am happy to see that a lot of her pre-Thin Man films are airing. 

This is what pops out at me:

12/2 

Myrna Loy: So Nice to Come Home To.  I love documentaries.  I haven't seen this one yet.

The Devil to Pay. An early talkie with Myrna and co-starring Ronald Colman. 

12/8

Give a Girl a Break.  This looks like a very interesting musical.  It features Marge and Gower Champion, Bob Fosse and Debbie Reynolds.

Period of Adjustment.  A Tennessee Williams movie I haven't seen.

12/9

The Animal Kingdom.  A Myrna Loy pre-code.  It also features Ann Harding, who I've wanted to see more of.

*There are a lot of Myrna Loy pre-codes scheduled this month.  I'll have to do more research to see if there are others that I'm interested in. 

12/11

A Letter to Three Wives.  I haven't seen this film yet.

12/12

Susan Slept Here.  I've seen this movie.  It's kind of an odd one, but I found that I really enjoyed it.  I'd like to see it again.

12/14

Sudden Fear.  This film has come highly recommended by friends of mine here on the board.  I'll definitely need to check this one out!

12/16

Man-Proof.  A Myrna Loy movie I haven't seen. This film also co-stars Rosalind Russell, who I enjoy.  I also don't mind the male co-star, Franchot Tone.  

Too Hot to Handle. A Myrna Loy/Clark Gable film I haven't seen. 

12/17

Going My Way.  A Bing Crosby movie I haven't seen.  It's also the film he won his Oscar for.

12/20

I wish during the Irene Dunne birthday marathon, that they'd played Theodora Goes Wild.  I've been wanting to see this film again. I am interested in The Joy of Living, however.

12/21

Yay! Another Disney vault.

Perri.  A Disney Nature documentary

Old Yeller.  OMG this is the saddest film ever made.  Tragic animal movies destroy me. 

The Ugly Dachshund.  This film looks funny.

A Tale of Two Critters.  This film sounds adorable.  I love animal buddy films.

12/22

Mara Maru.  An Errol Flynn film that I want to see again.  I found it very interesting when I watched it for the first time a year or so ago. 

12/27

Bunny O'Hare.  I seem to remember Holden and I geeking out about this film before only to have it pulled off the schedule.  I hope it stays on the schedule this time.  It's a Bette Davis film I haven't seen.

12/29

The Big Steal.  A Robert Mitchum film I haven't seen.

12/30

The Rains Came.  A Myrna Loy movie I haven't seen.  This film also features Tyrone Power, an actor who I'd like to become more familair with.

Midnight Lace.  I've been wanting to see this Doris Day thriller for awhile.  I'm glad that TCM is finally airing it.  It's surprising that it's not shown more often, seeing that it's a TCM Vault release.  

12/31

That's Entertainment I, II, III and That's Dancing! I love these documentaries.

A bunch of my favorite Christmas movies are airing this month:

-Never Say Goodbye w/ Errol Flynn & Eleanor Parker

-Christmas in Connecticut w/ Barbara Stanwyck & Dennis Morgan

-Bachelor Mother w/ Ginger Rogers & David Niven

-A Night to Remember w/ Barbara Stanwyck & Fred MacMurray

-Meet John Doe w/ Barbara Stanwyck & Gary Cooper

-The Man Who Came to Dinner w/ Monty Wooley, Bette Davis & Ann Sheridan

-Meet Me in St. Louis w/ Judy Garland, Margaret O'Brien & Mary Astor

-Susan Slept Here w/ Dick Powell & Debbie Reynolds

-Desk Set w/ Katharine Hepburn, Spencer Tracy & Joan Blondell

-The Thin Man w/ William Powell, Myrna Loy & Asta

-The Dolly Sisters w/ Betty Grable & June Haver

-Bell, Book and Candle w/ James Stewart, Kim Novak & Jack Lemmon

• Like 3

What catches my eye is: Onibaba (1964). I believe this is a premiere. This is a very intense movie. It is one of those movies which creeps into your brain and twists it into knots. 

Rented the DVD to see that.

The visual styling - that monochromatic black and white - is mesmerizing, particularly as the camera eye is traveling through the high grass.

A rather haunting storyline - like a morbid fairytale.

• Like 1

Sorry to quote my own post, but to paraphrase Mother Burnside: "Mother of Jefferson Davis, they're showing The Fox!"

I'm sure they showed it at least once before. It was during the month long gays in film month (back when they were covering minorities in film each year)

I didn't see anyone mention all the shorts airing in honor of Vitaphone's 90th anniversary on December 5th.

Or the 75th anniversary of Pearl Harbor on the 7th.

Also, the Robert Osborne Private Screenings episode is being rerun on the 28th. It was produced when TCM was celebrating its 20th anniversary in early 2015.

That's good news that "Sudden fear" is going to finally air. Although it's an RKO film, I think this will be a TCM premiere. If I'm not mistaken, TCM has never aired this before.

I'm happy to see that George Kennedy will be honored with other film actors and actresses who passed away this year. I could have sworn that after he passed away this spring, TCM never organized a tribute for him on their schedule. This, at least, will be something.

Another pleasant surprise is the TCM premiere of the film "The revolt of Mamie Stover". It's a romantic drama that stars Jane Russell and Richard Egan. It also co-stars Joan Leslie, in a supporting role. This was her final feature film, before she gave up acting - at the young age of 31. I have heard about this movie, but I have not yet had the chance to see it. Just wondering, has any of you on this message board ever seen this movie?

THE REVOLT.OF.MAMIE STOVER is just ok. The problem is that it was highly watered.down (like the drinks Jane and the other girls pushed on customers), and it's pretty difficult to believe that Russell was able to save thousands of dollars by just selling dance.and drink tickets. The memoirs of the real-life character depict her life as a prostitute, but any suggestion of this was removed. So it becomes the story of an ambitious have-not, trying to move into respectable society, who, incidentally, makes a killing buying real estate cheap immediately after the Pearl Harbor attack.

Agnes Moorehead plays the proprietress/madam, and is good. Jane is ok, even in the garish outfits she's given (not that Howard Hughes was a master of taste in dressing her at her home studio RKO). This is one of two films she made with director Raoul Walsh, and would lead her to form a production company with him, along with her husband and Clark Gable; the latter had starred with her in the first film she did with Walsh, 1955's THE TALL.MEN. The team was to do THE KING AND FOUR QUEENS, but Eleanor Parker ended up playing the female lead.

TROMS was one of several films Marilyn Monroe turned down, saying the studio was giving her demeaning parts, and fled to New York; Fox borrowed Jane due to this.

• Like 2

THE REVOLT.OF.MAMIE STOVER is just ok. The problem is that it was highly watered.down (like the drinks Jane and the other girls pushed on customers), and it's pretty difficult to believe that Russell was able to save thousands of dollars by just selling dance.and drink tickets. The memoirs of the real-life character depict her life as a prostitute, but any suggestion of this was removed. So it becomes the story of sn ambitious have-not, trying to move into respectable society, who, incidentally, makes a killing buying real estate cheap immediately after the Pearl Harbor attack.

Agnes Moorehead plays the proprietress/madam, and is good. Jane is ok, even in the garish outfits she's given (not that Howard Hughes was a master of taste in dressing her at her home studio RKO). This is one of two films she made with director Raoul Walsh, and would lead her to form a production company with him, along with her husband and Clark Gable; the latter had starred with her in the first film she did with Walsh, 1955's THE TALL.MEN. The team was to do THE KING AND FOUR QUEENS, but Eleanor Parker ended up playing the female lead.

TROMS was one of several films Marilyn Monroe turned down, saying the studio was giving her demeaning parta, and fled to New York; Fox borrowed Jane due to this.

This film has aired on the Fox Movie Channel several times. Russell has never been the most convincing actress, and I agree that the story plays fast and loose with details of the Mamie's real life, but the production quality is high- sets, scenery, cars and clothes are all great, cool houses and furniture, too. We can always find something of value in a film, always something to watch. 

• Like 3

My goodness.  Alastair Sim's A Christmas Carol (1951) aka Scrooge on December 22.

Record it for Christmas eve!

But of course my one and only highlight had to be substituted in Canada.  It's the 1938 version for Canuck viewers.

Thankfully I have a dvd copy of the Sim version which I will be watching Christmas eve.

THE REVOLT.OF.MAMIE STOVER is just ok. The problem is that it was highly watered.down (like the drinks Jane and the other girls pushed on customers), and it's pretty difficult to believe that Russell was able to save thousands of dollars by just selling dance.and drink tickets. The memoirs of the real-life character depict her life as a prostitute, but any suggestion of this was removed. So it becomes the story of an ambitious have-not, trying to move into respectable society, who, incidentally, makes a killing buying real estate cheap immediately after the Pearl Harbor attack.

TROMS was one of several films Marilyn Monroe turned down, saying the studio was giving her demeaning parts, and fled to New York; Fox borrowed Jane due to this.

For anyone interested, THE REVOLT OF MAMIE STOVER will.be on tomorrow,.Saturday, October 8, @ 1:15.pm.eastern, on FMC (FXM Retro).

• Like 1

There are a lot of great things scheduled in December. I know Myrna is played often on TCM, but I am happy to see that a lot of her pre-Thin Man films are airing.

This is what pops out at me:

12/2

Myrna Loy: So Nice to Come Home To. I love documentaries. I haven't seen this one yet.

The Devil to Pay. An early talkie with Myrna and co-starring Ronald Colman.

12/8

Give a Girl a Break. This looks like a very interesting musical. It features Marge and Gower Champion, Bob Fosse and Debbie Reynolds.

Period of Adjustment. A Tennessee Williams movie I haven't seen.

12/9

The Animal Kingdom. A Myrna Loy pre-code. It also features Ann Harding, who I've wanted to see more of.

*There are a lot of Myrna Loy pre-codes scheduled this month. I'll have to do more research to see if there are others that I'm interested in.

12/11

A Letter to Three Wives. I haven't seen this film yet.

12/12

Susan Slept Here. I've seen this movie. It's kind of an odd one, but I found that I really enjoyed it. I'd like to see it again.

12/14

Sudden Fear. This film has come highly recommended by friends of mine here on the board. I'll definitely need to check this one out!

12/16

Man-Proof. A Myrna Loy movie I haven't seen. This film also co-stars Rosalind Russell, who I enjoy. I also don't mind the male co-star, Franchot Tone.

Too Hot to Handle. A Myrna Loy/Clark Gable film I haven't seen.

12/17

Going My Way. A Bing Crosby movie I haven't seen. It's also the film he won his Oscar for.

12/20

I wish during the Irene Dunne birthday marathon, that they'd played Theodora Goes Wild. I've been wanting to see this film again. I am interested in The Joy of Living, however.

12/21

Yay! Another Disney vault.

Perri. A Disney Nature documentary

Old Yeller. OMG this is the saddest film ever made. Tragic animal movies destroy me.

The Ugly Dachshund. This film looks funny.

A Tale of Two Critters. This film sounds adorable. I love animal buddy films.

12/22

Mara Maru. An Errol Flynn film that I want to see again. I found it very interesting when I watched it for the first time a year or so ago.

12/27

Bunny O'Hare. I seem to remember Holden and I geeking out about this film before only to have it pulled off the schedule. I hope it stays on the schedule this time. It's a Bette Davis film I haven't seen.

12/29

The Big Steal. A Robert Mitchum film I haven't seen.

12/30

The Rains Came. A Myrna Loy movie I haven't seen. This film also features Tyrone Power, an actor who I'd like to become more familair with.

Midnight Lace. I've been wanting to see this Doris Day thriller for awhile. I'm glad that TCM is finally airing it. It's surprising that it's not shown more often, seeing that it's a TCM Vault release.

12/31

That's Entertainment I, II, III and That's Dancing! I love these documentaries.

A bunch of my favorite Christmas movies are airing this month:

-Never Say Goodbye w/ Errol Flynn & Eleanor Parker

-Christmas in Connecticut w/ Barbara Stanwyck & Dennis Morgan

-Bachelor Mother w/ Ginger Rogers & David Niven

-A Night to Remember w/ Barbara Stanwyck & Fred MacMurray

-Meet John Doe w/ Barbara Stanwyck & Gary Cooper

-The Man Who Came to Dinner w/ Monty Wooley, Bette Davis & Ann Sheridan

-Meet Me in St. Louis w/ Judy Garland, Margaret O'Brien & Mary Astor

-Susan Slept Here w/ Dick Powell & Debbie Reynolds

-Desk Set w/ Katharine Hepburn, Spencer Tracy & Joan Blondell

-The Thin Man w/ William Powell, Myrna Loy & Asta

-The Dolly Sisters w/ Betty Grable & June Haver

-Bell, Book and Candle w/ James Stewart, Kim Novak & Jack Lemmon

Speedy, a few highlights of the highlights you've highlighted.

THE DEVIL TO PAY also stars a very young Loretta Young. She must've been 18, if that.

PERIOD OF ADJUSTMENT, I believe, was the first script Tennessee.Williams wrote specifically for film. A young Jane Fonda leads a very good cast.

JOY OF LIVING, as you may aware, has your favorote, Lucille Ball, in a supoorting role as a grasping relative.

THE RAINS CAME also features the infamous (on these boards) George Brent, providing, as always strong backup (pun intended).

THE BIG STEAL reunites Mitchum with Jane Greer, again South of the Border.

Speedy, a few highlights of the highlights you've highlighted.

THE DEVIL TO PAY also stars a very young Loretta Young. She must've been 18, if that.

PERIOD OF ADJUSTMENT, I believe, was the first script Tennessee.Williams wrote specifically for film. A young Jane Fonda leads a very good cast.

THE RAINS CAME also features the infamous (on these boards) George Brent, providing, as always strong backup (pun intended).

THE BIG STEAL reunites Mitchum with Jane Greer, again South of the Border

So i decided to post separately about A LETTER TO THREE WIVES, an all-time favorite of mine, not least because it features Linda Darnell in one of her best films. This comedy-drama has writer-director Joseph Mankiewicz exploring mid 20th Century suburban mores, through the intertwining story of three marriages, none secure. Jeanne Crain plays a farmgirl, unsure of her standing with her socially prominent husband. Ann Sothern and a pre-stardom Kirk Douglas play a couple having quarrels over her being the main breadwinner. He's a literature teacher and she's a writer of radio soap operas, and clash over the relative worth of each profession. Linda Darnell and newcomer Paul Douglas battle over their loveless marriage, she being a gold-digger and he a wealthy tycoon.

The writing is very good, especially in the latter two stories, and the playing is good throughout. Superb also are some of the supporting players, especially Thelma Ritter, Florence Bates, and Connie Gilchrist.

I also like watching this film.during the holidays, at it has a scene during the Christmas season, as.well as.another on New Year's Eve.

PS. ALTTW will be on the Fox Movie Channel next week, on 10/18.

• Like 1