Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

David Lean pre-1950 DVD set?

Sorry to start a separate thread on this, I would have asked in box set thread but felt it was more likely to get a response if everyone could see it without going inside another thread.

There seems to have been a DVD set with David Lean's movies up to 1950, that was issued by MGM a while back.... here is where I saw it:

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0034891/dvd

I believe this set to be out-of-print.... does anybody know if they plan on re-issuing the set any time soon?

The set, although announced, has never been issued by MGM. There seems to be some legal problems that have held up release of the David Lean Collection. Criterion has issued several of these titles on DVD which are still in print.

Sadly, the issue is one of rights. Criterion continues to hold the rights to Lean's Great Expectations even though that disc is no longer available through them for purchase.

The trouble here is also one of MGM instability. After toddering on the brink of an acquisition by Warner Home Video (which, frankly, would have meant the best of all worlds for them and their collection of classic films - more than half are currently under the Warner umbrella but a lot of fifties and post fifties United Artist stuff is just 'out there' in the ether), MGM first folded to an offer of acquisition by Sony/Columbia, then did an about face and marched over to 20th Century Fox. None of these changes have been good for business. In fact, they have created quite a few delays of product that's been promised for some time.

Other MGM titles once promised but sadly MIA are the Alfred Hitchcock Box that was to have included Rebecca, Spellbound, The Paradine Case, The Lady Vanishes and The 39 Steps, and also a great social commentary flick from the early 1980s, Teachers - costarring Nick Nolte and Jo-Beth Williams.

Other MGM titles once promised but sadly MIA are the Alfred Hitchcock Box that was to have included Rebecca, Spellbound, The Paradine Case, The Lady Vanishes and The 39 Steps.

Actually, NZ, there was a Hitchcock boxset, "Wrong Men & Notorious Women", put out by Criterion that contained Rebecca, The 39 Steps, Notorious, The Lady Vanishes, and Spellbound. Admittedly, it is out of print now and highly sought after by collectors (which makes me even happier because I was lucky enough to be one of those who got this when it first came out).