Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

LITTLE ANNIE ROONEY (1925) Tonight! Brand New Restoration!

:) Airing in Prime-time this evening. 8:00 PM/7:00 Central. Part of the fascinating Trail Blazing Women series. This has always been my favorite Mary Pickford feature. Produced and written (using Grandmother's name) by her. I have waited a long time to see this film properly restored. Hope the new musical score does the movie justice. ROONEY was also an important picture for William Haines. Helping to establish him as a major Star in his own right.

No version of this film has aired on TCM in a decade. This restoration was only completed a few months ago by the Mary Pickford Foundation and Academy Film Archive. By all accounts it looks simply tremendous. Probably will not be on DVD or Blu-ray anytime soon, so if you want to see it be sure to set you DVR. I'm amazed that TCM was able to license this so quickly. With any luck maybe they will pick up the new restoration of MY BEST GIRL (1927) too. That hasn't been shown on TCM in quite awhile.

Anxious to see the recent documentary on Mary as well. "MUSE OF THE MOVIES" (2008) which is another premiere. Can't thank Chuck Tabesh and the rest of the TCM programing staff enough for their superb efforts. By the way, It would be a shame to exclude Colleen Moore from the TRAIL BLAZING WOMEN series. Maybe we can get a few of her premiere's next season? Thanks again.

14590406_10211088725444267_4974907167091

"She ain't no girl, She's a Wildcat!"
  • Like 7

Oh my Gosh! I positively loved the documentary MARY PICKFORD MUSE OF THE MOVIES. One of the finest documentaries I have ever seen on any Silent Star. Possibly even the best! Literally wept several times I was so profoundly moved. TCM is re-airing this later tonight so if you missed it be sure to set your DVR or DVD-Recorder.

The print of the Dorothy Davenport Reid picture MOTHERS OF MEN (1917) from the BFI was just gorgeous! Not only tinted, but toned as well. It's not that uncommon to see a Tinted Silent, but very rare indeed to see one with the original toning process intact. Really enjoyed this movie. Exquisitely photographed. The vintage illustrations on the title-cards were breath taking works of art. Excellent score by Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra.

Conversely, I liked maybe 50% of the new score to LITTLE ANNIE ROONEY, but allot of it left me scratching my head. The opening music sounded more like a 60's spy flick than anything else? What??? The tunes played at the dance sounded more like the 70's then the 20's. At least they retained the Little Annie Rooney melody originally published in 1892. Though used rather sparingly. I still think it would have been ideal to have had them re-record William Perry's excellent 1971 piano score with a full orchestra. Nonetheless, it was great to see this long unseen classic revived for a new generation to discover.

• Like 2

Conversely, I liked maybe 50% of the new score to LITTLE ANNIE ROONEY, but allot of it left me scratching my head. The opening music sounded more like a 60's spy flick than anything else? What??? The tunes played at the dance sounded more like the 70's then the 20's. At least they retained the Little Annie Rooney melody originally published in 1892. Though used rather sparingly. I still think it would have been ideal to have had them re-record William Perry's excellent 1971 piano score with a full orchestra. Nonetheless, it was still great to see this long unseen classic revived for a new generation.

Totally agree with you about reusing the older music.  I couldn't get past the first couple of minutes because of this abomination of a score.  For me, the score shouldn't draw such attention to itself, but compliment the visuals.  Also, I recorded the documentary, and from what I could see zipping through it while editing to disc, it looked as wonderful as you describe.  Michael York was an excellent choice to narrate.

The print of the Dorothy Davenport Reid picture MOTHERS OF MEN (1917) from the BFI was just gorgeous! Not only tinted, but toned as well. It's not that uncommon to see a Tinted Silent, but very rare indeed to see one with the original toning process intact. Really enjoyed this movie. Exquisitely photographed. The vintage illustrations on the title-cards were breath taking works of art. Excellent score by Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra.

Agreed, it was a great print and the title cards were exceptional.

Although I enjoyed the movie, it had a predictable ending. It was also hard to believe Dorothy Davenport would marry a guy who was about 20 years older than she was. On the other hand, the film is an interesting artifact, and ahead of its time, portraying a woman as a judge, then a governor.

Despite the heads up I STILL FORGOT to record Annie. I hope they still have a few showings left on it and it will turn up on Silent Sundays. :(  I need to start writing things down. Cant depend on my brain anymore. :(

Hibi,

For you and anyone else who missed the broadcasts, both the documentary and ROONEY are still available on Watch TCM for a few more days. So you can see them there as we speak.

14610881_10211106424326728_3471200354009

"Painting Pickford" - 1917