Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Songwriter Rod Temperton has died

jakeem

Rod Temperton, the British musician, record producer and songwriter responsible for several Michael Jackson hits, has died of cancer in London. His age was reported as 66. He would have celebrated his birthday on Sunday.

Among his prodigious output as a songwriter: the Jackson hits "Thriller," "Rock with You" and "Off the Wall"; George Benson's "Give Me the Night"; the Brothers Johnson's "Stomp!"; James Ingram and Michael McDonald's "Yah Mo B There"; and Ingram and Patti Austin's "Baby, Come to Me."

5333995.jpg

Temperton with Quincy Jones and producer-musician Nile Rodgers in 2014

Temperton wrote several songs used in the 1986 Billy Crystal-Gregory Hines action-comedy film "Running Scared," which starred the actors as intrepid Chicago cops hoping to retire to Florida before they are killed in the line of duty. Temperton's song "Sweet Freedom" became a Top 10 Billboard hit for McDonald, the former lead singer of The Doobie Brothers. Crystal and Hines appeared in the music video. 

Temperton rose to prominence in the 1970s as the songwriting keyboard player of the British funk band Heatwave. The group's hit songs included "Boogie Nights," "Always and Forever" and "The Groove Line."

Producer Quincy Jones recruited him to write songs for the 1979 Michael Jackson album "Off the Wall." The success of that LP led to Temperton's further association with Jones and Jackson.

Temperton, Jones and Lionel Richie received a 1985 Best Original Song Oscar nomination for "Miss Celie's Blues (Sister)" from Steven Spielberg's "The Color Purple." The award went to Richie for "Say You, Say Me" from "White Nights."

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/oct/05/rod-temperton-dies-songwriter-behind-thriller-michael-jackson-hit

• Like 1

Rod Temperton, the British musician, record producer and songwriter responsible for several Michael Jackson hits, has died of cancer in London. His age was reported as 66. He would have celebrated his birthday on Sunday.

Among his prodigious output as a songwriter: the Jackson hits "Thriller," "Rock with You" and "Off the Wall"; George Benson's "Give Me the Night"; the Brothers Johnson's "Stomp!"; James Ingram and Michael McDonald's "Yah Mo B There"; and Ingram and Patti Austin's "Baby, Come to Me."

5333995.jpg

Temperton with Quincy Jones and producer-musician Nile Rodgers in 2014

Temperton wrote several songs used in the 1986 Billy Crystal-Gregory Hines action-comedy film "Running Scared," which starred the actors as intrepid Chicago cops hoping to retire to Florida before they are killed in action. Temperton's song "Sweet Freedom" became a Top 10 Billboard hit for McDonald, the former lead singer of The Doobie Brothers. Crystal and Hines appeared in the music video. 

Temperton rose to prominence in the 1970s as the songwriting keyboard player of the British funk band Heatwave. The group's hit songs included "Boogie Nights," "Always and Forever" and "The Groove Line."

Producer Quincy Jones recruited him to write songs for the 1979 Michael Jackson album "Off the Wall." The success of that LP led to Temperton's further association with Jones and Jackson.

Four of his best songs were:

Heatwave---Boogie Nights

Rufus and Chaka---Live in Me

Brothers Johnson-----Stomp

Quincy Jones-----Razzamatazz

Of course, Temperton's most famous effort was the title tune from Jackson's megasuccessful 1982 album "Thriller." The song was showcased in a $500,000 music video directed by John Landis ("An American Werewolf in London"). The long-form production, which was first aired on MTV on December 2, 1983, is considered one of the greatest videos of all time.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings