Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM - Criterion Collection partnership on streaming channel

BingFan

I just received the following from the Criterion Collection.  I thought it might be of interest to fellow TCM fans, especially if, like me, you're also a Criterion fan.

============================

Dear friends of Criterion,

We launched this newsletter more than ten years ago with the promise to keep you up-to-date about new releases and any exciting goings-on around here. Today, we’re writing you personally because we think the launch of FilmStruck and the Criterion Channel is truly a game changer for us, for our fans, and for all people who enjoy great films.

On October 19, the Criterion Collection and Turner Classic Movies will launch a subscription streaming service built by people who love movies for people who love movies. It will be unlike anything out there, with thematic programming, introductions, special features, and much more. FilmStruck, the primary service, programmed by the team at TCM, will feature a rotating selection of Criterion titles alongside movies licensed from sources around the world. A premium option for FilmStruck subscribers, the Criterion Channel will be our home base in the streaming space, programmed and produced by the Criterion team, where we can take our mission to a whole new level.

Criterion Channel subscribers will have unlimited access to the largest selection of Criterion titles ever available on a streaming service—all the time. Our own ever-expanding streaming library includes many of the best-known classics in the Criterion Collection, along with hundreds of rare films you won’t find in any other medium, but we’ll also be featuring full Criterion special editions of titles licensed from major studios as well as out-of-print titles and films that have never been available to us on home video. We’ve worked hard to make the Criterion Channel a worthwhile addition for our core Criterion Blu-ray and DVD customers and regular FilmStruck subscribers alike by creating original, channel-exclusive content, director profiles, live events, guest-curated series, and a programming rotation where there will be something new happening just about every night of the week.

We’ve had a great five years at Hulu, but the opportunity to build our own channel with the help of the incredible team at TCM is a dream come true for our company. FilmStruck will be the exclusive streaming home of the Criterion Collection as of November 11, when our library will be leaving Hulu. The monthly cost of FilmStruck and the Criterion Channel together will be $10.99, but you can sign up for the FilmStruck newsletter to receive a free two-week trial offer when the services go live.

We have talked (and debated) for years about the best way to bring some sort of subscription plan to our viewers, and with FilmStruck and the Criterion Channel, we believe we’ve finally found it. The first week on the channel, we’re bringing back the out-of-print commentary from The Silence of the Lambs. Catch a double feature on Friday nights. Find a short with a feature on Tuesdays. The possibilities are endless, and we’ve just begun to explore them.

It’s been thirty-three years since Criterion published its first special edition laserdisc and nearly twenty since the dawn of DVD. The launch of FilmStruck and the Criterion Channel marks another exciting beginning for us. We are as committed as ever to publishing the world’s greatest films in definitive Blu-ray and DVD editions, but we think these new services are going to add a whole new dimension to the Criterion experience, and we hope you’ll give them a try.

Sincerely,
Jonathan Turell and Peter Becker 

The latest email about FILMSTRUCK and the CRITERION CHANNEL indicates the new services start on October 19th and that HULU's license to stream Criterion titles ends on November 11.  Sad for me who just joined HULU one month ago entirely because of the amazing Criterion library (which includes hundreds of titles not on disk). 

I have questions which I posed when I called HULU--yes, they have a working customer support phone number--and when I called the Criterion Collection.   So, both HULU and Criterion offer ways to talk to a human being when there are problems...something TCM has never offered even in the face of their current streaming service, WATCH TCM, not working for many of us or when their website is out of order or, especially, when there are audio/video sync problems (as there has been for many weeks this year). 

My main questions about FILMSTRUCK and the CRITERION CHANNEL are:

Will TCM and/or the Criterion Collection begin a tech support/customer support operation for these two new services?  If streaming from either new service does not work or there are problems with our subscriptions, will there finally be someone at TCM who will respond?  We all know that the TCM support email address NEVER replies to queries.

Can one subscribe to only the CRITERION CHANNEL alone and not  to FILMSTRUCK?  The current literature says FILMSTRUCK has a rotating selection of movies.  The write-up on the CRITERION CHANNEL says all titles will be available for streaming at all times.

How can we link via WIFI to either service since current smart TV's and Blu Ray players won't have apps for these new services?  Or, will we have to watch on our computers?  HULU is on many/most smart TV's and Blu Ray players and streaming Criterion titles works beautifully on HULU.

It appears--although I'm not sure--that TCM will be in control of the tech issues to do with both FILMSTRUCK and the Criterion Channel.  That, frankly, worries me--given TCM's past history of not offering any support.

If any of you have any ideas regarding my questions, please respond.  If you are a fan of TCM and Criterion, please contact Criterion with your questions and thoughts.

Thanks for listening.

Davidf (Tucson, AZ)

It was on there, with a pristine, remastered print, too. But they took it down already.

You should have said something.  Hopefully they put it back up soon.

EDIT: How did you find out about it?  Did you see it online in a list, or did you only see it as an actual entry on their streaming channel?

P.S. Here is a pic I snagged from the Capitolfest website.  So I suspected Criterion might have been doing something with it.

Just%20Imagine%20CapitolFest.jpg

I was teasing ya, Movie Collector.

I participated in the beta testing of FilmStruck, but Just Imagine wasn't available, only those titles already available from Criterion (with a few that aren't, but may be soon). Unfortunately Just Imagine wasn't among them, since I want to see it after reading about on here often.

They do offer Hot Spell, though.

(No they don't.) :ph34r:

The latest email about FILMSTRUCK and the CRITERION CHANNEL indicates the new services start on October 19th and that HULU's license to stream Criterion titles ends on November 11.  Sad for me who just joined HULU one month ago entirely because of the amazing Criterion library (which includes hundreds of titles not on disk). 

I originally joined Hulu JUST for Criterion, but stayed for the vintage reruns.

Never did watch as much Criterion as I thought I would, but I may just finish up my reruns as an excuse to drop one service--

Like most people, I just don't have the heart to drop Netflix yet, as their old vintage reruns are still there, even if the movies aren't.

I was teasing ya, Movie Collector.

I participated in the beta testing of FilmStruck, but Just Imagine wasn't available, only those titles already available from Criterion (with a few that aren't, but may be soon). Unfortunately Just Imagine wasn't among them, since I want to see it after reading about on here often.

They do offer Hot Spell, though.

(No they don't.) :ph34r:

LOL  You had me going there...  Nothing missed at least.  It is just a really offbeat Sci-Fi Musical Comedy.  One of a kind strange thing.

Archived