Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
JackBurley

"Ghost" Voices

Cinekarine or others: Could anyone help me find sources to determine in which movies June Haver did her own singing and in which films someone else did it for her?

I'll be seeing the concert MFL, on Saturday night. Really looking forward to it.

Her first dubbing job was for Miss [Margaret] O?Brien in The Secret Garden (1949). Miss O?Brien, 12 at the time, was one of Hollywood?s top child stars. Ms. Nixon was 19.

This was the first of a series of Julie Andrews/Marni Nixon connections. MGM, originally planned to do a full-scale musical version of THE SECRET GARDEN. They screen-tested Julie, who was then a musical hall star, in England for the leading role. She was deemed to be non-photogenic, and the film was ultimately made as a non-musical, with one song. Marni would go on to dub Audrey Hepburn in a role originated by Julie, appear in THE SOUND OF MUSIC, with Julie; and portray Eliza, on stage, after receiving coaching from Julie.

Isn't it highly unlikely that MGM would have screen-tested a complete unknown for the part in The Secret Garden when they already had one of the most popular child actresses of the time?

Bill, You'll know this...and it's probably mentioned in other posts, but how many women dubbed Rita Hayworth? I can think of Nan Wynn ("My Gal Sal" - fine work there!), Anita Ellis, Martha Mears and Jo Ann Greer. And of those women, do you know who did GILDA and PAL JOEY?