Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Haxan name change

NipkowDisc

why the name change?

Haxan certainly has more umph than witchcraft through the ages.

I think tcm changed it so viewers could actually know what is was about because someone unfamiliar with it might take it for some artsy european film.

I mean what's Haxan? so they clerified it for us ignorant masses.

personally, I prefer Haxan.

:)

why the name change?
Haxan certainly has more umph than witchcraft through the ages.
I think tcm changed it so viewers could actually know what is was about because someone unfamiliar with it might take it for some artsy european film.
I mean what's Haxan? so they clerified it for us ignorant masses.
personally, I prefer Haxan.

:)

Hexan or hexen (Heksen in Danish) is a German verb witches and the noun  to cast a spell

Didn't the re-release Witchcraft Throughout the Ages have narration added to it?

(I haven't seen either version in a while.)

There was a sound re-release with jazz and William Burroughs narration--It's no Chaplin 1940 Gold Rush or Giorgio Moroder's Metropolis, though.

Only saw the original Criterion silent Haxan last Halloween, and if I went in expecting wild German silent expressionism of Bosch paintings and actors cavorting in devil suits, I was surprised by the last two reels taking a modern 10's-20's skeptic view and paralleling the stories of medieval "bewitchment" with social conditions at the time and the new emerging interest in psychiatry.

(Eg. the peasant who claimed the devil came in his window every night to give him instructions, vs. the modern patient who claims he's getting secret messages from CNN...Just a question of which "celebrity" was on people's minds in which era.)

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings