Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
LadyBear5

Remember those Navy comedies of the 1960's?? Seeking a movie title...

Remember Operation Petticoat and Father Goose? Great comedies with Navy men, right?! Funny stuff! Well, I cannot remember the title of a movie I saw and I am hoping someoine else will remember it.

The setting was on a Pacific island at a hotel-type building where lots of naval officers were holding important meetings. Japanese (geishas?) took care of the housework in this hotel which the Naval officers were using as their headquarters. There were also some Naval nurses here. This was a comedy, not a drama, because the "hero" was a guy who was always flirting rather than working. I had thought he was played by Tony Curtis, but Curtis's filmography does not include this flick. I have already gone through it. Anyway, this playboy officer was usually on the edge of getting in trouble with his superiors. His immediate superior knew he had unique talent of persuasion and coordinating events. His superior was also always having to try to keep the visiting VIPs from catching his shenanigans. I thought Cary Grant had played the immediate superior officer, but that is also incorrect apparently. I can almost remember the image of the officers standing in front of a flowery fountain preparing to go into an important meeting and the Cary Grant type lead nervously, but quietly asking one of his men where the Tony Curtis type character was.

Does anyone remember this flick?? Do you know the title and who the stars were? I believe my father had indicated that there were a lot of "names" from the sixties starring in the movie. (I cannot ask my father because he has passed away.) Any ideas?? Thanks to all who respond!!

Sounds like you might be mixing up the plots of "Operation Petticoat" and another Cary Grant film "Kiss Them for Me." Put the two movies together and it would resemble your synopsis.

Or it could be something else altogether. Don't ask me... I'm just here for the beer. :)

CharlieT

I don't think I am mixing two movies together, but I will check on the other one you named. It's something to check out and so... thanks!

There's no nurses in this one, but you might want to check out "Teahouse of the August Moon." Glenn Ford stars in this comedy as a naval officer charged with building a school but is persuaded by the townspeople to build a Japanese teahouse instead. Paul Ford plays his superior officer who is constantly checking on the progress of the 'school,' and Marlon Brando has an interesting part as 'Saki,' one of the Japanese villagers. In any case, it's a very funny movie.

Di

Didn't Paula Prentiss play a nurse opposite Jim Hutton's navy officer in The Horizontal Lieutenant?

I rememebr a movie like this, but sadly, not sure of titel either. The one I am thinking about is full of "stars" . They are on an island and take "surplus" of the Navy and end up building a large Hotel. There were geisha girls in it that played hostesses, and maids, etc. All the local people were employed at this hotel . Of course all heck broke loose when the war dept found out that the old parachutes and surplus etc were used in this way. It is a very funny movie, and I too would like the name of this movie.

yanknrebel

Ok, I found the title I was looking for. Not sure if it was the one you meant.

Wake Me When It's Over

1960-USA-Satire/Military Comedy

N.Y. Times Review by Bosley Crowther

PLOT DESCRIPTION

Wake Me When It's Over is a zany service comedy in which Ernie Kovacs plays the latest in his long line of military captains. Kovacs and his men are stationed at a dead-end Japanese island. World War II vet Dick Shawn, redrafted through a clerical error, arrives on the island and decides to liven things up. Using the materials at hand, he supervises the building of a hotel, using the island girls as the staff. The military brass investigate when it's obvious than the servicemen are having too much fun on the island. Kovacs would love to have Shawn stay, and says so at Shawn's court-martial, but the reluctant draftee is mustered out of the service as accidentally as he'd been brought back in. Ernie Kovacs and Dick Shawn work so well together in Wake Me When It's Over that one can only feel an intensified loss over the early deaths of these two comic masters. ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide

? Read the Full N.Y. Times Review

yanknrebel

Hi there -

I was looking ahead to the schedule for next week, and saw this one listed:

6:00 AM Don't Go Near The Water (1957)

Navy office workers scheme to build a recreation hall on a remote Pacific island. Cast: Glenn Ford, Anne Francis, Fred Clark. Dir: Charles Walters. C-107 mins, TV-G, CC, Letterbox Format

The description in the tcm database doesn't match exactly what you remembered, but parts of it sound close.

Julie

I have looked up all of the suggestions so far and do not think the movie I remember is one of these. Mind you, it could be one of them because I am looking at descriptions on movie databases and not seeing scenes which I might be able to identify. However, I do not think the movie I am looking for has been listed here yet.

Maybe this will help trigger finding it... Orignally, I was thinking that this movie included William Holden or Cary Grant as the officer trying to maintain a sense of military professionalism and Tony Curtis as the playboy type lieutenant playfully scheming his way around the rules behind his superior's back. The movie was definitely set in the Pacific. Toward the end of the movie, Navy officers were meeting on this island for a serious conference.

Keep your ideas coming. I am chceking each suggestion!! I appreciate each person's helpful response.

Maybe I came in too late on this, but the film has to be "Operation Petticoat" (1959) starring Cary Grant and Tony Curtis and directed by Blake Edwards. This film was made after Curtis' big hit of the same year ("Some Like It Hot") and Curtis wanted to get along with his older co-star whom he had imitated in SLIH. From what I've heard Grant like his imitation and the two got along famously.