Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

frankenstein sunday nite

NipkowDisc

three great frankenstein films last nite. that first one is a favorite. lon chaney jr. as the monster is terrific 2nd only to karloff imo.

frankenstein meets the wolk man is really fun with the wolf man being resurrected ftom the dead. interesting lycanthropic lore with this one. we learn that talbot's curse is an eternal one and he will live forever. one thing that I think is convoluted in this 2nd feature is that lugosi's monster lumbers so because he was made blind at the end of ghost of frankenstein. so here's lugosi playing a blinded monster yet they doan give lugosi any dialogue and he was ygor.

the 3rd feature is interesting with lon chaney jr. as talbot who steals gypsy girl elena verdugo's affections away from hunchback j. carrol naish. always get a kick when glenn strange's monster chucks the hunchback out the window.  :)

great death scream. maybe it's a recycled fritz from bride of frankenstein? :D

after the 3rd feature, manckiewicz heaps some praise on john carradine as dracula saying that to many carradine was as good as lugosi. this is the kind of hoy-faloy wine sipping elitism vs. the impressions of most  common viewers like myself that is befuddling...

carradine as good as lugosi???...

christopher lee is way superior to lugosi but carradine as dracula couldn't scare a bunny rabbit if you ask me.

and this thing that universal had for flying bats inside eyeballs is really dated although visually interesting.

and I can't say I appreciate the notion in the 3rd feature that hot compresses have to be applied to the monster's damaged tissues...

from ice? get outta here with that.

the frankenstein monster is near indestructible. :)

Nippy, what do you think of the Hammer Frankenstein films? Those are up over the next two Sundays.

like 'em. a very different approach than universal and the hammer frankensteins certainly prove that hammer thought cushing was their main guy and not lee. the curse of frankenstein was never shown in my viewing area when I was a kid so I didn't see that one until an adult.

WOR channel 9 outta NYC was always showing the 2nd one the revenge of frankenstein on their four o'clock movie in the afternoon back in the 1970s.

that's where I first saw the monolith monsters.

the 3rd one evil of frankenstein is kinda detached from the storyline of the others but good.

initially found the fourth one frankenstein created woman intriguing but this soul business with a dead suitor in his cushing-corrected babe's body kinda grates on my metaphysical sensibilities today.

the fifth one frankenstein must be destroyed is maybe the best with cushing's victor frankenstein scientifically noble yet somewhat criminal is enjoyable.

hammer certainly was far more generous with cushing frankenstein-wise than they were with lee dracula-wise.

• Like 1

I notice they're not showing Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1974), the final Cushing Hammer/Frankenstein film, or 1970's Horror of Frankenstein, with Ralph Bates as Dr. Frankenstein. I still haven't seen the latter.

The other Ralph Bates movie you mention, also known as Lust for a Vampire, was the middle part of the Karnstein trilogy, coming in between The Vampire Lovers (1970) and Twins of Evil (1971). They would make a good late night triple bill.

I notice they're not showing Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1974), the final Cushing Hammer/Frankenstein film, or 1970's Horror of Frankenstein, with Ralph Bates as Dr. Frankenstein. I still haven't seen the latter.

The other Ralph Bates movie you mention, also known as Lust for a Vampire, was the middle part of the Karnstein trilogy, coming in between The Vampire Lovers (1970) and Twins of Evil (1971). They would make a good late night triple bill.

doan like either the vampire lovers or twins of evil but they certainly are both quite overly sanguinary if you ask me.

lust for a vampire has everything, sets, atmosphere and yutte stensgaard, the most beautiful creature hammer ever put in front of the camera...

and she is rather a nice person too. she lives in the U.S. and is a born-again christian. :)

• Like 1

the 3rd feature is interesting with lon chaney jr. as talbot who steals gypsy girl elena verdugo's affections away from hunchback j. carrol naish. always get a kick when glenn strange's monster chucks the hunchback out the window.  :)

great death scream. maybe it's a recycled fritz from bride of frankenstein? :D

No, it's the same scream used when Karloff was kicked into the sulfur pit at the end of Son Of Frankenstein.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings