Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LornaHansonForbes

No, TCM, you give Eddie Muller something better to do on your network than shill wine

not that anyone asked, but i think if we're talking about which films constitute not just the best but also embody every aspect of what nakes a noir a noir, then I would say that BILLY WILDER'S UNHOLY TRINITY of DOUBLE INDEMNITY,SUNSET BLVD., and ACE IN THE HOLE represent noir at its peak in both respects.

Each one is a solid dour stars, not a fault to be found...

although i don't like the Nancy Olsen scenes in SUNSET...

• Like 3

I would have to say though that "the window" is just pure, unfettered NOIR... I mean, it's based on a Cornell Woolrich story isn't it?

Lorna, I was being reserved as a newbie, not wanting to come across as hyperbolic.

Yes, agree, "The Window" is pure undulterated noir, inspired by Woolrich's "The Boy Cried Murder."

The squirm factor for me as a child viewer was the boy having witnessed and KNOWING a murder had occurred, but with a history of tall tale telling, doubted by his distracted, somewhat disaffected parents. Drove me crazy.  Still does when I watch it as an adult.

Woolrich also inspired "Rear Window." Do you suppose he might have been a closet voyeur? Come to think of it, Woolrich's personal bio was a dark story in itself.

I do know about poor Driscoll's sad end. Unhireable, homeless, broke, drug addicted, endng with an unfortunate, tawdry death.

P.S. Thanks for the welcome. Have lurked here a long time.

Now we've got another category. There are  unquestioned noirs, and there are those films that may be subject to dispute, which are nourish non-noirs.

How about "Dead Ringer," with Bette Davis in a dual role, nice guy Karl Malden, and Peter Lawford, cast as her dead sister's playboy, drunken boyfriend?

Davis, in a fit of jealous rage, shoots her doppleganger/twin sister, assumes her identiy. [but the dog knows, doesn't he?]

Surprise surprise. Murdering twin is then saddled with the consequences of her dead twin sister's life which was darker than she could have ever imagined. 

There are those who feel the earlier Mexican film, "The Other One" basically the same script and starring the beautiful Delores DelRio, is superior to "Dead Ringer."

DR, for my money, is slightly camp, though considered noir.

And that scene where she grabs the HOT POKER just to avoid signing her sister's name....now that's being committed to the part.

• Like 1

I saw his wine plugs. I'm surprised he agreed to do them. What a comedown.

WELL, money is money and Eddie's got to look out for Eddie, see?

Besides, I've actually watched a few of them and I think he does a great job. He's charismatic he has a rapport with the 3, (4?) people I've seen him interviewn and I love The Eccentric brightly Blazered Frenchman with the brooch he talked to- and he's well researched, he clearly has done some homework or already knows plenty about the subject matter.

So, that's at least three or four hes got on some....just give him the weekends already, guys.

Lorna, I was being reserved as a newbie, not wanting to come across as hyperbolic.

Yes, agree, "The Window" is pure undulterated noir, inspired by Woolrich's "The Boy Cried Murder."

The squirm factor for me as a child viewer was the boy having witnessed and KNOWING a murder had occurred, but with a history of tall tale telling, doubted by his distracted, somewhat disaffected parents. Drove me crazy. Still does when I watch it as an adult.

Woolrich also inspired "Rear Window." Do you suppose he might have been a closet voyeur? Come to think of it, Woolrich's personal bio was a dark story in itself.

I do know about poor Driscoll's sad end. Unhireable, homeless, broke, drug addicted, endng with an unfortunate, tawdry death.

P.S. Thanks for the welcome. Have lurked here a long time.

I think Cornell was A LOT of closet things, Honey.

I'm really glad you brought this up because recently, at my local public library, the "take a book" box actually had a complete collection of Cornell Woolrich short stories. I took it home, HEAVILY Lysoled it, and have read several of the stories and found nearly all to be very underwhelming.

I read the story on which REAR WINDoW was based and it is not anywhere near as good as the film, yet kinkier *go figure.

The only short story that I read out of the 6 or 7 that I read this far that I liked it anyway was THE CoRPSE NEXT DOOR.

I've also read quite a few of his novels, but again I've actually been underwhelmed by nearly all of them.

I prefer Thompson, Hammett, Chandler, and Cain.

( sounds like a law firm in hell dont it?)

(edited to add: i posted the above with my phone, so it's a mess. i have to cop to that as it was being critical of someone's writing whilst itself being quite poorly written, or should i say transcribed?)

ps- I like I MARRIED A DEAD MAN, i found WALTZ INTO DARKNESS to be ultimately tedious PHANTOM LADY made almost no impression on me, and i think i've read other novels of his that i have forgotten...in fact, I often struggle to recall details of Woolrich's novels and fail to do so, whereas much of Hammett and Thompson stay seared in my mind.

eta eta: i think his first novel was called MANHATTAN LOVE SONG and is not a mystery. i read soe of it and cannot remember why but i stopped...but what i read was quite good.

• Like 1

Id really like to see Eddie host a Spotlight where he does a Dark City take on some ostensibly happy films. You know, give the brutal backstage story and tragic futures of the participants of some of the Golden Age Studio Era musicals & comedies.

The MGM Lot in real life during the fifties alone would, i imagine, outdo anything even Fritz Lang could conceive of in his most heated fever dreams.

Id really like to see Eddie host a Spotlight where he does a Dark City take on some ostensibly happy films. You know, give the brutal backstage story and tragic futures of the participants of some of the Golden Age Studio Era musicals & comedies.

The MGM Lot in real life during the fifties alone would, i imagine, outdo anything even Fritz Lang could conceive of in his most heated fever dreams.

And so, sort of an "Eddie Muller recounts the career of Eddie Mannix" kind'a thing, eh Lorna?!

Yeah, I could go for somethin' like that, alright

(...although I at least thought the Coen Bros' recent comic take on all that was pretty entertaining...and although Eric around here doesn't seem to think so...but lets not go THERE again)

;)

Back to shilling wine....

I noticed recently there was slight discussion about the TCM wine club and an ORSON WELLES MERLOT.......

I couldn't keep from wondering........

"Jeez.....I hope they don't SELL IT BEFORE IT'S TIME!"    :D

Sepiatone

• Like 2

WELL, money is money and Eddie's got to look out for Eddie, see?

Besides, I've actually watched a few of them and I think he does a great job. He's charismatic he has a rapport with the 3, (4?) people I've seen him interviewn and I love The Eccentric brightly Blazered Frenchman with the brooch he talked to- and he's well researched, he clearly has done some homework or already knows plenty about the subject matter.

So, that's at least three or four hes got on some....just give him the weekends already, guys.

I'm not at all a wine person, so  the wine experts that come on seem like seem like twittering self-possessed dorks to me. And it rubs off on Eddie.

• Like 1

I'm not at all a wine person, so  the wine experts that come on seem like seem like twittering self-possessed dorks to me. And it rubs off on Eddie.

That's a fairly apt way to put it DGF.

Not about Eddie neccesarily, but most "wine experts".  For sure.

I've been known to imbibe my fair share of wine from time to time, and I have my likes and dislikes.  But, I NEVER got into all that supercilious posing they do when tastng wine.  Prattling pretentiously about "bouquet"  and "body"  or describing it as though describing a person.  I have only one "wine credo"......

If it tastes good, DRINK IT.  If it DON'T, use it for spot remover!  ;)

Sepiatone

That's a fairly apt way to put it DGF.

Not about Eddie neccesarily, but most "wine experts".  For sure.

I've been known to imbibe my fair share of wine from time to time, and I have my likes and dislikes.  But, I NEVER got into all that supercilious posing they do when tastng wine.  Prattling pretentiously about "bouquet"  and "body"  or describing it as though describing a person.  I have only one "wine credo"......

If it tastes good, DRINK IT.  If it DON'T, use it for spot remover!  ;)

Sepiatone

Couldn't have put it better myself. Dorkism personified.

• Like 2

Back to shilling wine....

I noticed recently there was slight discussion about the TCM wine club and an ORSON WELLES MERLOT.......

I couldn't keep from wondering........

"Jeez.....I hope they don't SELL IT BEFORE IT'S TIME!"    :D

Sepiatone

Sepiatone....this is too much made me laugh out loud.  Also all this "bouquet" business makes me think of Frasier and Mile's supercillious conversations about wine.  Thanks for the laugh.  Emily

I've been writing/editing for beverage alcohol publications for over thirty years and have been to many, many industry and consumer wine tastings and events.  I love wine but I don't like wine snobs and I have met some doozies but, thankfully, most of the people in the actual winemaking/wine selling business are not like this.  I certainly get why some of this pretentious wine talk turns people off.  If you like it, drink it.  It's supposed to be fun.  You don't have to spend big $ for a good wine.  I just discovered a very nice French Rose' for $6.99 at my local liquor store.  As for the TCM Wine Club, I would probably join if I could afford it (the writing thing has been pretty lean the last couple of years) and I think TCM is just trying to generate some extra revenue.  I like Eddie doing the commercials, and as someone else wrote, he's likely getting paid.  Maybe if Eddie hosts noir films again, he can suggest (without mentioning brand names), different cocktails, beers or wines that would fit the mood of a particular film.

• Like 2

She was married to Xavier Cugat. no?

How could I have missed this most excellent piece of trivia? I knew who Charo was but had NO IDEA that she was married to Cugie. MAN, I would totally invite that couple to my fantasy dinner party, along with Clint Eastwood, Busby Berkley, Deborah Kerr and Buster Keaton.

• Like 1

ya sholdnt diss da Zar of noir.

I'm not much of a wine drinker. I'm still waiting for that TCM beer. Different styles for different films.

I'm sure it would come in a bottle so you can crack it over someone's head during a barfight :lol:  

I'm not much of a wine drinker. I'm still waiting for that TCM beer. Different styles for different films.

I'm sure it would come in a bottle so you can crack it over someone's head during a barfight :lol:  

Dark beer and noir sound like a great combination!

• Like 1

Dark beer and noir sound like a great combination!

Somebody needs to get a beer thread started...