Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If you like model trains.....

Chris398

The Hidden Room.....(Obsession)   1949.   Robert Newton.........Looks like James Mason  ?        :D

British OO Gauge Trains  ?        Not sure.....

Ah! I see you found the answer to your query of a few days ago, eh Chris?!

And yeah, that may look a little like James Mason, but as you now know, that's actually Robert Newton.

(...question: how did you come to find the answer?) 

Ah! I see you found the answer to your query of a few days ago, eh Chris?!

And yeah, that may look a little like James Mason, but as you now know, that's actually Robert Newton.

(...question: how did you come to find the answer?) 

Hi Dargo......Thanks for your response.

You won't believe how I found the answer. I have a list of about 3,000 movies with their dates I have recorded (not all kept) over the last 30 years.  I guessed at the Date of "Hidden Door" as mid 40's to mid 50's and at random looked up titles on IMDB.com.   It took a few hours, but I knew I had it on my list somewhere. I have about 700 movies I keep permanently on VHS tapes. I saw this movie will be played on You Tube for four days beginning Oct.16.  It's an interesting movie where Robert Newton chains his wifes lover in his "hidden room" and later disolves his body in a tub of acid.

In addition to being a movie buff, I'm also a model train enthusiast. I wanted to identify the trains in the movie. It looks like British 00 Gauge which I think is a close size to American 0 Gauge.

Say the magic word and win $100.00

• Like 1

Thanks for the photos.   Did you ever see the Disney movie "The Great Locomotive Chase" ?

A long time ago.  There was a docudrama on the history Channel (old H2) about the Great Locomotive Chase aka Andrews Raid of 1862 a few years ago but they used a different type of locomotive (forgot the exact title).  "The General" is on display at the The Southern Museum of Civil War and Locomotive History in Kennesaw, GA.

VT_RNC_RVN19036.jpg

A long time ago.  There was a docudrama on the history Channel (old H2) about the Great Locomotive Chase aka Andrews Raid of 1862 a few years ago but they used a different type of locomotive (forgot the exact title).  "The General" is on display at the The Southern Museum of Civil War and Locomotive History in Kennesaw, GA.

VT_RNC_RVN19036.jpg

And the Locomotive Texas is in the Atlanta Cyclorama.

It's not so much as dead weight of the train but how much drawbar ( tractive effort / pulling power) does the locomotive have?  At most some O gauge locomotives have only about 9 pounds of pull.

I've read some G scale gives about 50 pounds.

• Like 1

Thank you all for a very interesting and charming topic!

Classic era film makers made heavy use of model trains. It was very common to show a  distance shot of a supposed train rolling through the landscape that was actually a model train. Model trains were also useful when the story called for a crash or derailment. Digital techno fakery was not invented and destroying real trains expensive- so they settled for models! You will see many examples of this on old TCM films, and many studios used this trick. For the studios, the go to guy for these models was San Francisco based model maker Rollin Lobaugh.

A lifetime spent dabbling with antiques, has taught me a healthy respect for old model trains! They represent history and can be worth a lot. The trains shown in the Hidden Room are a 3 rail British O gauge system, running British style trains. The equipment shown, in good condition today, would be worth many thousands.

Don't ever pass on or throw away old things until you learn what you have!

Model trains often made their appearances in other American films too. I hope to see more posts!

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings