Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Has anyone gone to see "Magnificent 7" remake?

spence

I've been in the hospital for days & now plan to hopefully get the THE MOVIES again & check out the remake of the classic 1960 Western "The Magnificent 7" (****-stars!)

Has anyone else seen it yet?

THANX

I've been in the hospital for days & now plan to hopefully get the THE MOVIES again & check out the remake of the classic 1960 Western "The Magnificent 7" (****-stars!)

Haven't seen it, but I've heard it's a good action movie to see if you HAVEN'T seen the original, and a ridiculous mangling if you have.

(The director got it mixed up with Sergio Leone's movies, and instead of bandits, thought the Seven had to fight an evil snappy-dressed railroad baron...)

Haven't seen it, but I've heard it's a good action movie to see if you HAVEN'T seen the original, and a ridiculous mangling if you have.

(The director got it mixed up with Sergio Leone's movies, and instead of bandits, thought the Seven had to fight an evil snappy-dressed railroad baron...)

The Magnificent Time in the West

no

Once Upon a Time in the Magnificent Seven

no 

Once the Magnificent West Time 

oh. . . .

• Like 2

THANX

Glad you're out of the hospital Spence.  Are you recovering nicely?

Anyway, I have no plans to go see the movie, I might catch it when it comes to OnDemand, but wonder where you got the "four star" review from?   The critic in my local paper gave a review titled "Not so Magnificent".

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Glad you're out of the hospital Spence.  Are you recovering nicely?

Anyway, I have no plans to go see the movie, I might catch it when it comes to OnDemand, but wonder where you got the "four star" review from?   The critic in my local paper gave a review titled "Not so Magnificent".

Sepiatone

THANX PER USUAL (SEPIATONE) ROR REPLYING , the old & original 4 star reviews date back to the 1920's & 1930's actually  Ebert & Siskel-(used to actually get angry when someone would either misquote them about it, or other jazz,etc  Due to it always being the major & original movie star rating system)  Leonard Maltin, Gene Shalit, the also already gone Joel siegel  & most, always used it for movies. -(plus, it was always also used in "The Almanac" for rating films.

It goes (****-stars for excellent/great,,etc) (***-good) (**-mediocre/flat) (*-awful or as Leonard rates these bottom of the barrel flix, BOMB-rating)

(P.S. Going to the Western-(hopefully) tomorrow & hope to post a little review of it & highest grossing westerns to date:

1st *"Dances With Wolves" (l990) (U.S. gross: $184 million)

2. "True Grit" (2010 version) ($170=-$175m.)

3. "Django Unchained" (2011) ($160 to $165m.)

& next scheduled for this viewer to go & see: *Warren Beatty's "Rules Don't Apply'

_(November 28th release date)

THANX

• Like 1

(NOTE: I may have already wrote/posted this within our marvelous boards already, not certain &   Just in case>

2 time *Oscar winner: *Denzel Washington (l954-) is also coming up this year in "Fences" which he also directed & co-stars 2 time nominee  Viola Davis & judging fro m the trailer already seems a lock for his 7th nod & her 3rd td

I saw it. It's just okay. Denzel, as always, has tremendous screen presence, and he looks great in his all-black cowboy getup and facial hair. There were also some nice bits with Ethan Hawke, reunited with Washington and Training Day director Fuqua, as a Cajun Civil War vet who may be losing his nerve. And the film probably could have used a little more of Peter Saarsgard's villain. But too many characters, none of whom are given sufficient depth for us to care about. The action, when it finally starts, comprises virtually the final third of the film, and is occasionally thrilling, but goes on too long, in my opinion. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it.

(TRIVIA: Now, without cheating & lookin it up first, what are his previous *AMPAS noms???)

Cry Freedom (1987, supporting actor) Glory (1989, supporting actor) Malcolm X (1992, actor) The Hurricane (1999, actor) Training Day (2001, actor) Flight (2012, actor)

• Like 1

I saw it. It's just okay. Denzel, as always, has tremendous screen presence, and he looks great in his all-black cowboy getup and facial hair. There were also some nice bits with Ethan Hawke, reunited with Washington and Training Day director Fuqua, as a Cajun Civil War vet who may be losing his nerve. And the film probably could have used a little more of Peter Saarsgard's villain. But too many characters, none of whom are given sufficient depth for us to care about. The action, when it finally starts, comprises virtually the final third of the film, and is occasionally thrilling, but goes on too long, in my opinion. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it.

Although the appeal of the original is that it's intentionally taken from the fatalism of Kurosawa's Seven Samurai (if you haven't seen the Criterion yet, Hulu immediately while you can, or wait for Filmstruck--It may be three hours long, but literally two hours will go by before you even look at your watch); Magnificent paralleled the out-of-work Samurai in a now post-feudal Japan with gunfighters now out of place in a tamed west, and Yul Brynner/Takashi Shimura both realizing that this may be their last big battle, for principle.

Samurai was the big arthouse hit with US audiences in the fifties, and most folks knew it when the original Magnificent came out--

James Coburn always told the story that when he was offered the part of knife thrower Britt in the original M7, he responded, "Is my character that silent-swordmaster one?...I'm in!"

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings