Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help on a Classic Short

dy14nv31d3

Hello, I've been searching for this short documentary film for quite a while and was wondering if anyone can help? It was probably about 2 years ago I saw a WB full color short from the 60's on TCM about about a small sailing sea research exhibition from California, around S. America (or maybe through the Panama Canal), featuring a stopover in Jamaica. From what I can recall it was about 10-15 minutes, it featured fantastic full color underwater views of coral and associated wildlife. 

Wasn't the narrator Errol Flynn?  It was sort of a mini documentary, but not the real deal, and I remember something about research, but....maybe a helicopter picked him up and took him to the coast to board the ship.  I remember him saying something about "not everybody gets to go this way..." or something like that and he ran across the grass to get on the 'copter.  I'm not a huge Flynn fan, but I really liked the guy in that.

If it was Errol Flynn, then it's a 1952 short called "Cruise Of The Zaca".  Here is the IMDB summary:

From his Hollywood home, Errol Flynn copters to La Jolla's Scripps Institution of Oceanography for a few days. Inspired by the sight of a pod of gray whales, Flynn, his father (an oceanographer), and Dr. Hubbs from Scripts take Flynn's schooner, the Zaca, for a specimen-collecting trip down the coast, through the Panama Canal, and on to a southern port in Jamaica. Flynn's wife Nora joins them; his dad, Hubbs, and John Decker, an artist, turn the Zaca into a floating research lab. The Flynns take a raft for a day trip upriver to a Jamaican waterfall. There's an evening of dancing, then it's back to the sea.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings