Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Songs that would be good canvases for 'This Month' montages . . .

One of my favorite albums (featuring many songs that would work as canvases for TCM montages) is Joe Jackson's "Night And Day-"his Cole Porter-ish tribute to 1980's NYC. I'm not certain, but they may have used "Stepping Out" before...

I'd also suggest anything from Esquivel...

And Perez Prado's "Cherry Pink And Apple Blossom White." I don't hear that one much anymore...

benhowell wrote -

"I'd also suggest anything from Esquivel...

And Perez Prado's "Cherry Pink And Apple Blossom White."

Very good suggestions benhowell. And I think they would fit nicely with TCM's move to a 'mid-century modern' feel to all the promotional graphics and intros. (like the current Star Of The Month intro vs. the old "newsstand" SOTM intro.) Like it or not, TCM is shedding its Depression / WWII-era themeing in favor of a Fifties aesthetic. I've gotten used to it.

Kyle In Hollywood

Oh, man, I would love to hear Esquivel on one of the montages. I am kicking myself for not ordering his Christmas cd from Amazon last year because now it is out of print and used copies are pretty pricey on there.

Kyle, the Duke Ellington Ella Fitzgerald songbook is one of my favorites! Her rendition on Sophisticated Lady is gorgeous.

Now, has anyone heard Shrimp Boats by Jo Stafford? I LOVE that song! Who would've thought that shrimping would be a rousing subject for a pop song? :D

Sandy K

I have another suggestion for a song for this year's TCM Remembers reel. I think that the song "In The Deep" by Bird York would be great to have as a backing piece. It has a cinematic and mournful quality to it that would fit well with a montage of the cinematic talents who will die this year.

I have another suggestion. I think that "Vox" by Sarah MacLachlan would be good to have as a bed for a TCM Remembers montage. They already included her song "I Will Remember You" in the 2003 version. Why not go with another one?

[nobr]Those all sound do-able, kyle, ben, sandy & caps.[/nobr]

Thanks for the tip on the Nilsson, kyle: I'll look into it.

Sandy - yes I know that tune and I agree: it is a good song.

It can be had, along with other fine tunes, on this cd:

http://www.amazon.com/Hits-51-Various-Artists/dp/samples/B00005UWTQ/ref=dp_tracks_all_1/102-5751052-1048107#disc_1

Folks can get a listen of the tune there, too (track 24)

All the "Hits Of" discs are great; I've got 'em all - highly recommended.

ASV has done all the years of the thirties and all of the forties, and is working on the twenties and the fifties, presently.

S A M

[nobr]527.gif[/nobr]

Sandykaypax -

I may just have to check "Ella And Duke" out (finally!).

If you are at all tolerant of Johnny Mathis, please look into a CD titled -

"In A Sentimental Mood - Johnny Mathis Sings Duke Ellington"

- if only because it is also a wonderfully arranged CD with the songs sort of floating in, out and around arrangements of Ellington's instrumentals. It even has an Overture! Quite unique. And Mathis still sounds good.

Here's what a reviewer at Amazon wrote about the CD -

Reviewer: I. Gross Georg "imgeorg" (Edmond, Oklahoma USA) -

This recording was nominated for a Grammy in 1991 for best Traditional Pop recording but lost to a recording by Tony Bennett. They like to go with whoever's popular at the Grammys. But no matter: I have my own nominations and awards to dole out for this beauty.

BEST USE OF CD SPACE. You get 57 whole minutes of music on this one. This is done primarily with the help of 6 short instrumental fillers between 12 great songs.

BEST USE OF A CATHEDRAL IN A NON-GOSPEL SETTING. Mathis recorded the whole thing at Petersham Church in London, England. You can hear every shuffle, the occasional sniffle and cough, as well as Mathis' rich, reverberating tenor.

BEST SUBJECT MATTER. The music of Duke Ellington is almost forgotten nowadays, especially to those who don't follow jazz. Mathis offers up this reminder of past greatness for a new generation to witness.

BEST USE OF BLACK-AND-WHITE PHOTOGRAPHY. George Hurrell's beautiful cover photography is reminiscent of the works of James Van Der Zee and the great publicity photographers of the jazz age.

This recording is clean and satisfying. The opening gives you a start with its instrumental tribute to Harlem nightlife, but it settles down by the time it gets to Daydream. This recording is a series of one-and two-take sessions that is the closest thing to a live recording you'll find in a studio recording. Very little monkeying around technologically speaking, just pure, clean song. Which is what Mathis excels at.

Just a thought.

Kyle In Hollywood

Sam, thanks for that link! I may have to buy that cd.

I came across Shrimp Boats about 3 years ago when I directed a youth theatre production of Charlotte's Web. We set the show in the early 1950's when the book was published. I was looking for some music of the era to use in the show. Alas, I couldn't find a place for Shrimp Boats in the story of a pig and a spider on a midwestern farm! So, we used it during the preshow/intermission music.

However, we did use Frankie Laine's The Cry of the Wild Goose, How High the Moon by Les Paul and Mary Ford and Dear Hearts and Gentle People by Bing Crosby during the show. I love exposing my students to music from earlier eras.

Sandy K

[nobr]//I love exposing my students to music from earlier eras.//[/nobr]

And I am grateful to you for doing so. The more exposure to History that the young (or any one for that matter) are given, the better the society is Tomorrow.

You sound like a quality instructor.

S A M

[nobr]527.gif[/nobr]

• 2 weeks later...

I had to rescue this thread to include another favorite song that would work on TCM...

In the '70's it was used as a theme for one of the TV network's "movie of the week." I always loved it and was happy to discover it (still in the '70's) on one of my brother's albums.

The song is "Nikki" by Burt Bacharach.

I remember my brother telling me the song was written for the daughter of Burt and Angie Dickinson. This increased my appreciation for the song.

Today, after doing a little research, I discovered that Nikki recently committed suicide-after suffering for 40 years with Asperger Syndrome-a form of autism.

Here is a sample of "Nikki-"

http://music.aol.com/artist/buA-bacharach/14856/song-sample

Caps,

Quote:

"I have another suggestion. I think that "Vox" by Sarah MacLachlan would be good to have as a bed for a TCM Remembers montage. They already included her song "I Will Remember You" in the 2003 version. Why not go with another one?"

Talk about a strange coincidence. I'm listening to Sarah McLachlan's "Fumbling Towards Ecstasy" on my headphones, browsing this forum and...I read your "Vox" message.

Okay, maybe nothing more than my attention perked up reading your mention of Sarah McLachlan. Really, I am pretty skeptical about Jung's "synchronicity" thing.

Anyway. Love Sarah. Want more Sarah on TCM.

Rusty

While I was listening to one of my mix discs, I came across a song entitled "Welcome To The Real World" by a singer named Jane Child. If they do a month about biographical movies (or another one of those, presuming it was already done), I think that this would be a good song to include.

> [nobr]//I love exposing my students to music from

> earlier eras.//[/nobr]

>

> And I am grateful to you for doing so. The more

> exposure to History that the young (or any one for

> that matter) are given, the better the society is

> Tomorrow.

>

> You sound like a quality instructor.

>

> S A M

Sam, thank you for that nice compliment!!

Sandy K

Message was edited by:

sandykaypax