Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
BMoviesRBest

"The Lady Objects" & "When You're Smiling" et al

So I always get excited when TCM premieres a film they have never shown or is rarely seen. So imagine my surprise when I saw the film's "The Lady Objects" (Columbia, 1938) and "When You're Smiling" (Columbia, 1950) on the February and March calendars when I checked about a week ago. They have now disappeared altogether from the schedules! Is it possible that TCM was unable to license these titles from Sony after all? Are musicals being given the short schrift in favor of other genres? Don't get me wrong, I love the "A" musicals - but the "B's deserve a look as well! I have emailed TCM about this but have yet to receive a reply. I mean, why list a movie on your schedule and get everyone all excited and then yank it a week later? Are there any other B-Movie lovers out there who are as mad as hell and aren't going to take this anymore? Am I being over-dramatic? Long live the "Blonde From Brooklyn"!! Don't forget to "Meet Miss Bobby Socks" for coffee later!! And you can bet your boots that "Eve Knew her Apples"!! Discuss...

Another fun thing about B movies is their opposite-of-timelessness. I get a kick out of the way they are often so dated and insider in their references. In Meet Miss Bobby Socks, the eponymous youngster suggests to Bob Crosby's crooner character that he "get himself his own radio show, like Bing Crosby's." He replies that he might look into it, and as he speaks his line he does a great impression of his brother!

Eve Knew Her Apples was odd in that we see Ann Miller singing--but not doing any dancing! Though she sings swell, I hope that wasn't true of most of her Columbia flicks. Ahem--Did you notice some very familiar lines in this Columbia-produced road movie about a runaway rich girl and a reporter?

I'm still waiting for Universal (or whatever outfit owns all its 1940s material at this point) to get its act together and release all those Donald O'Connor musicals from his teen years.

I'm hep to your jive, mister! The youthful references are really a kick. I use them all the time when I talk (I'm in my 30's) and my friend's don't usually have a clue what I'm talking about! I've actually seen most of Ann Miller's Columbia films and "Eve" is the only one she doesn't dance in at all. Be sure to check out "Reveille with Beverly" in February or March. She does an excellent number called "Thumbs Up and V for Victory"at the end. Hopefully, more of her early, forgotten work will continue to re-surface on TCM. As for the Donald O'Connor stuff, yes Universal still owns them and perhaps if they get enough requests they will issue them on DVD. They are starting to cull their library for more and more classics these days. Universal's recent release of Bing Crosby titles was especially refreshing. By the way, I got a response from TCM regarding two films that started this thread and found out that Columbia could not supply TCM with adequate prints so they had to pull them from the schedule. So at least it wasn't a direct stab at us B-Movie Musical lovers. Thanks TCM for the explanation. Shame though that Columbia hasn't restored these flicks. It's definitely a race against time. But film preservation is a whole other rant for another day!!

"I get a kick out of the way they are often so dated and insider in their references. In 'Meet Miss Bobby Socks', the eponymous youngster suggests to Bob Crosby's crooner character that he "get himself his own radio show, like Bing Crosby's."

I guess since Bing Crosby set the standard for crooning at the time, he's the brunt of lots of well intentioned ribbing. In Step Lively, a petulant Marcy McGuire threatens Frank Sinatra with, "From now on, I'll listen to Crosby!".

You're a solid sender! Actually, I did hear about the Film Forum schedule of B-Movie faves and I'm trying to figure out how I can get 3 weeks off from work (I live in L.A.) so I can go to this film fest! There are several titles on that list I've been chomping at the bit to see ever since my musical obsession began. And many of them in new 35MM transfers no less! Hey gang, how 'bout we let TCM know that we'd love to see these films on their channel - after that we can all put on a show!!