Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Memorial Day thought...

Sepiatone

Yesterday we were treated to movies about auto racing and/or race car drivers.  A few having segments or centering on the prestigious Indianapolis 500 that takes place traditionally every Memorial Day weekend for  over 100 years.  So I thought this....

Why NOT mix these sort of movies among the "same-old, same-old" WAR movies TCM trots out every Memorial Day weekend?

After all, the race IS a long-time AMERICAN tradition as well.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Yesterday we were treated to movies about auto racing and/or race car drivers.  A few having segments or centering on the prestigious Indianapolis 500 that takes place traditionally every Memorial Day weekend for  over 100 years.  So I thought this....

Why NOT mix these sort of movies among the "same-old, same-old" WAR movies TCM trots out every Memorial Day weekend?

After all, the race IS a long-time AMERICAN tradition as well.

Sepiatone

Memorial Day is supposed to honor those who gave their lives for the US.  Just because a race promoter and the auto industry hijacked the day doesn't mean TCM should be a party to it.

Leave Memorial Day on TCM as it is.

• Like 1

Memorial Day is supposed to honor those who gave their lives for the US.  Just because a race promoter and the auto industry hijacked the day doesn't mean TCM should be a party to it.

Leave Memorial Day on TCM as it is.

OK. It was just a thought.  I won't get into a discussion about how MANY of those who gave their lives DIDN'T give them defending this country.  Like, in Viet Nam, Korea,  and such.  But you're correct in one faction.....

Showing movies depicting HOW and WHY they died certainly does them more honor than choking the freeways, swilling beer and burning meat on a barbeque grill.

Yeah, I expect someone to come back with something like, "But, if they didn't  give their lives, we wouldn't have the FREEDOM to do those things."  Sure.  But I'll bet the rent  that more than 90% of the Americans who engage in those type of Memorial Day activities AREN'T thinking about ANY of that.

Sepiatone

Memorial Day is supposed to honor those who gave their lives for the US.

It was designed to remember the Civil War. As I mentioned in the last Memorial Day thread, the only war movies they should show are Civil War movies.

And on Armistice Day they can run the World War I movies.

Frankly, I wouldn't mind not seeing any war movies on the schedule for once, since since 9/11 society has really gone down the rabbit hole of the idea that dishing out state-sanctioned violence is both necessary and sufficient to be a hero.

How about showing the war movies on the actual Memorial DAY, and the race movies some OTHER day over the now long weekend?

Should satify both the auto race enthusiasts AND the sabre rattlers.

Sepiatone

What is the "actual" Memorial Day?  May 30 or the Monday holiday?  This past May, both were on same day.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings