Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What's the Deal with Richard Denning?

Janet0312

No doubt about it. October is my favorite month because of all the monster movies. And just about every time I tune into one, Richard Denning is a featured player. Married to the "Queen of Scream" Ms. Evelyn Ankers, what was this man's goal? He was good-looking. Had an ability to act. Just what was his motivation?

• Like 1

Maybe his motivation was to get to Hawaii and become the governor. LOL

By the way, the name of the rarely-seen governor in CBS's "Hawaii Five-0" reboot is Samuel Denning, played by Richard T. Jones. And, yes, it's an homage to Richard Denning.

richtj.jpg

• Like 1

No doubt about it. October is my favorite month because of all the monster movies. And just about every time I tune into one, Richard Denning is a featured player. Married to the "Queen of Scream" Ms. Evelyn Ankers, what was this man's goal? He was good-looking. Had an ability to act. Just what was his motivation?

Evelyn Ankers did a wonderful job in all those Universal horror classics, but she really was equal support to Lon Chaney Jr in The Wolfman.

Years later after she was retired and her husband was a semi-regular in Hawaii Five-O, The Producers tried to get her to come on playing his wife.

But she refused, she said she liked being retired.

BTW-- she was really British and when she played the American roles she had to study the American accent.

• Like 3

Richard Denning could have been the biggest star on television if not for Lucille Ball.

Denning played Lucy's husband on her radio show My Favorite Husband. She was such a hit that the CBS network wss going to put her on television playing in a similar type plot.

Lucy told CBS she would only do it if they would rework the plot to make her husband not a WASP-- white Anglo-Saxon Protestant, office professional--

But a Latin American Cuban band leader, so that her real husband could play the part because he was a Latin American Cuban band leader.LOL

Initially CBS would have none of that because they said that Desi didn't seem "American" enough tO be Lucy's husband. LMREO

Lucy and Desi had to take their Vaudeville act on the road to prove that the American public would accept them as husband and wife. It's centered on the number "Cuban Pete".

And the rest is, as they say TV history.

Leaving Richard Denning as a footnote.

MONEY?  CELEBRITY?  What motivates almost all performers?

If really interested in Denning, get a set of the Mr. and Mrs. North DVD's.  Barbara Britton had a much more significant role.  The series was on TV in the early 50's.

Spoiler:  I have seen all the episodes and they are OK, but not memorable.

I've got The Black Scorpion and Creature From the Black Lagoon.  Haven't seen the other creature features with him. 

I think he was competant, but did not really stand out that much.  Didn't have that something extra.

Richard Denning could have been the biggest star on television if not for Lucille Ball.

Denning played Lucy's husband on her radio show My Favorite Husband. She was such a hit that the CBS network wss going to put her on television playing in a similar type plot.

Lucy told CBS she would only do it if they would rework the plot to make her husband not a WASP-- white Anglo-Saxon Protestant, office professional--

But a Latin American Cuban band leader, so that her real husband could play the part because he was a Latin American Cuban band leader.LOL

Initially CBS would have none of that because they said that Desi didn't seem "American" enough tO be Lucy's husband. LMREO

Lucy and Desi had to take their Vaudeville act on the road to prove that the American public would accept them as husband and wife. It's centered on the number "Cuban Pete".

And the rest is, as they say TV history.

Leaving Richard Denning as a footnote.

Good for Lucy and Desi.  While Lucy definitely deserves to be recognized as the television pioneer that she was, it was Desi Arnaz whose foresight and remarkable business acumen cemented his place in the history of television.  Without Lucy and Desi's insistence on Desi's involvement with the show, not only would I Love Lucy not be the same, television itself could be completely different.  I Love Lucy, by the way, celebrated its 65th birthday yesterday.  This show has been airing consistently on television, somewhere in the world, on a daily basis for 65 years.  How many television shows can say that?

My Favorite Husband and I Love Lucy had the same writing staff: Jess Oppenheimer, Madelyn Pugh and Bob Carroll Jr.  Many of the early I Love Lucy episodes are just re-purposed My Favorite Husband scripts with Desi, presumably, having most of Richard Denning's dialogue.  

Denning is fine in My Favorite Husband.  He's not objectionable.  He delivers his lines well on the radio show.  But he's no Desi Arnaz.  Lucy and Desi had that certain something that made them a unique team that meshed well together (even if not in their personal life).  In all of her movies and television and radio shows, I believe that Lucy's best co-star was Desi.  

• Like 2

If really interested in Denning, get a set of the Mr. and Mrs. North DVD's. Barbara Britton had a much more significant role. The series was on TV in the early 50's.

Spoiler: I have seen all the episodes and they are OK, but not memorable.

I've got The Black Scorpion and Creature From the Black Lagoon. Haven't seen the other creature features with him.

I think he was competant, but did not really stand out that much. Didn't have that something extra.

I remember the show Mr. And Mrs. North on TV. I think it was syndicated because it came on late.

The reason it made an impression on me was in the intro/beginning, somebody would slip a note under their door. So mysterious.

I have no recollection of Denning in the show only Barbara Britton. She was a glamorous presence on TV shows as the representatative for Revlon products.

I had one of those Revlon fashion dolls that were modeled after her-- strapless black evening gown with seamed silk stockings and pearl drop earrings.

It's no wonder; I don't remember Denning at all. LOL

I remember the show Mr. And Mrs. North on TV. I think it was syndicated because it came on late.

The reason it made an impression on me was in the intro/beginning, somebody would slip a note under their door. So mysterious.

I have no recollection of Denning in the show only Barbara Britton. She was a glamorous presence on TV shows as the representatative for Revlon products.

I had one of those Revlon fashion dolls that were modeled after her-- strapless black evening gown with seamed silk stockings and pearl drop earrings.

Did you see Barbara Britton in the pilot episode of The Dick Van Dyke Show? Carl Reiner played Rob and Britton played Laura.  What a different show that would have been had the network bought the pilot as-is.  I thought Britton was very pretty, but I didn't care for the pilot episode at all.  

Good for Lucy and Desi.  While Lucy definitely deserves to be recognized as the television pioneer that she was, it was Desi Arnaz whose foresight and remarkable business acumen cemented his place in the history of television.  Without Lucy and Desi's insistence on Desi's involvement with the show, not only would I Love Lucy not be the same, television itself could be completely different.  

You're so right about that! Arnaz was shrewd enough to shoot "I Love Lucy" on film with an Academy Award-winning director of photography, Karl Freund. He also used live audiences and created the three-camera format that many TV sitcoms still use today,

• Like 1

You're right about that! Arnaz was shrewd enough to shoot "I Love Lucy" on film with an Academy Award-winning director of photography, Karl Freund. He also used live audiences and created the three-camera format that many TV sitcoms still use today,

Desi Arnaz also invented the rerun.  When Lucille Ball became pregnant with Desi Arnaz Jr at the end of season 1 (she found out the news at the end of the last episode of season 1, "Ricky Asks for a Raise"), she and Desi were worried about the fate of their show.  Figuring that the network would never in a million years allow them to depict a pregnancy on screen, they thought that they'd have to call it quits.  Not wanting to do that obviously (plus, they were very loyal to their employees and didn't want to put them out of work), they bargained with the network to allow Lucy Ricardo to be pregnant too.  They were never allowed to use the word "pregnant" in a script. They had three clergymen from different religions review the scripts, all of which were found acceptable.  With that security in mind, CBS gave Lucy and Desi the go ahead to have Lucy Ricardo have a baby.  

With season two underway, the cast and crew came back from hiatus early in order to get as many "non-pregnant" episodes done as they could, before Lucy's pregnancy became too obvious to ignore.  If you watch some of the early season two episodes, you can already tell that Lucille Ball is beginning to show, as she looks a little thicker around the waist than normal.  Lucy was also only able to work part of the season, before she'd need to go on leave.  Desi, Vivian Vance and William Frawley filmed little flashback intros for the episodes featuring Lucy after Lucy had already gone on leave.  Finally, they filmed the episode where Lucy tells Ricky she's 'spectin.  This episode cracks me up because she's already wearing maternity clothes before she tells him.  They also filmed a series of episodes featuring Lucy's pregnancy, culminating in the episode where she has Little Ricky.  

After Desi Jr's birth, Lucy needed time to recover.  I Love Lucy would hardly be able to carry on production without their star.  Desi suggested the idea of re-airing some earlier episodes.  CBS balked, saying: "why would anyone want to watch something they've already seen?" Desi then suggested that he, Vivian and Bill film little introduction scenes as flashbacks for earlier episodes "Remember when Lucy went on that diet to lose weight to perform at the club?" Or whatever, then an earlier episode would play.  These rerun episodes ended up having higher ratings than it did when it aired the first time! Based on this success, Desi decided that the original introductions weren't necessary, and the rerun was born! 

• Like 3

This is on the DVD's very briefly in a couple of places, but apparently the floors and walls in the intro were made or sold by Nairn, Inc. and made of Congoleum Gold Seal Floors and Walls.  The name just sort of pops up for a few seconds on a couple of the intros.  Don't think the floors and walls from the intro are actually in their apartment.

More accurate title would be Mrs. North and the Man with whom she lives.

Raymond Burr and Touch (Mike) Connors were in one episode.

The Norths usually drove a '52 or '53 Nash.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings