Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite Hitchcock Leading Ladies

Well, I knew I'd get around to this one! Well, what say you? I'll get to mine later, although I will say that Grace Kelly is the quintessential Hitchcockian blonde, and I'm sure he felt the same way. The rest, all equally great, I'll get to later.

Ms. Day was wonderful in Midnight Lace---but it wasn't Hitchcock who directed her (it was David Miller). However, she was equally good in Hitch's remake of The Man Who Knew Too Much.

Kelly would be my first choice, followed by 'Tippi,' who, while not a great actress, was in two of my favorite Hitch films, Marnie and The Birds.

Miss G

• 3 weeks later...

Favorite Hitchcock Leading Lady? I'd have to go with Madeleine Carroll. I just love her. But then of course there's Marlene Dietrich, in Stage Fright. Does she count as a leading lady, or was Jane Wyman the leading lady in that one?

I do love Grace Kelly in "Dial M For Murder," "Rear Window," and "To Catch A Thief." I'd also add Joan Fontaine in "Rebecca" and "Suspicion."

Hitchcock had an even more impressive list of "supporting ladies-"including one of my favorites, Marion Lorne in "Strangers On A Train" (but I guess that should be a different thread...)

Well, I suppose I can compile a list of my favorites. Let's see...

1. Grace Kelly (Dial M For Murder, Rear Window, To Catch A Thief)

2. Ingrid Bergman (Notorious, Spellbound) [Mind you, I haven't seen Under Capricorn]

3. Kim Novak (Vertigo)

4. Margaret Lockwood (The Lady Vanishes)

5. Eva Marie Saint (North By Northwest)

6. Janet Leigh (Psycho)

7. Julie Andrews (Torn Curtain)

8. Doris Day (The Man Who Knew Too Much)

9. Tallulah Bankhead (Lifeboat)

10. Joan Fontaine (Rebecca, Suspicion)

...or something like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't that nice? Say - I used to know Miss Texas USA from 1991 I think, and another from the mid 1960s (but I didn't meet her till the early 90s.) Great ladies -as I'm sure you are.

Yes, Janet is one of my all time faves. Always a delight to watch.

Actually, I thought Fontaine was incredible in "Rebecca" (1940). If you watch her facial expressions and the way she works her character.

For instance, when she first comes to Manderly and is wet and disheveled there is so much she does just in facial and body movement. She doesn't have that many lines, but she communicates her thoughts very well to us.

I don't like REBECCA. My dislike of the film is not limited to Joan Fontaine; but, I've never liked her in anything, ever. She may very well be superb in the role. I cannot be objective, I just don't like her screen presence, or lack thereof.

Grace Kelly was wonderful in "Dial M for Murder"...Ingrid Bergman in "Notorious", and I like Teresa Wright in "Shadow of A Doubt".

I guess Joan Fontaine is kind of "affected" in her acting, but I did like "Rebecca" a lot, and "Jane Eyre" with Orson Welles. but it's not a Hitchcock movie."

• 2 weeks later...