Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dr. Freud, Paging Dr. Freud....Fave Films Dealing With Psychology

Tisher Price

My favorite movie depicting mental illness is 1991's THE FISHER KING.

Director Terry Gilliam shows the audience the horrific incident that sets off the charactor Perry -brilliantly played by Robin Williams- and his inability to cope and instead creating a fantasy world to live within.

Gilliam designed a charactor, "The Red Knight" to personify the "evil" in the world that only Perry sees. Whenever Perry's ideas are challenged with reason, the Red Knight (his mental illness) shows up to taunt him.

Perry would live his life in this horror fantasy if it weren't for charactor Jack -played by Jeff Bridges- a tortured soul of a different kind. Jack is an incredibly self centered celebrity who is also "stuck" in life, not seeing anyone else around him.

Their journey is peppered with sick & hurt individuals that Jack is first repelled by, then discovers (through Perry) they are all just people simply tortured by an inability to cope with life, like himself & Perry.

The beauty of the story is how these two flawed, misdirected individuals help each other and inadvertently, cure themselves. 

• Like 4

I still recall seeing The Fisher King in the theater. I was a huge Terry Gilliam fan, and was very excited that he had a new film out. I had to travel to a larger, nearby town to see it, as it didn't come to my local theater. It was opening weekend, and the theater was packed. 

As the movie started, there were several people laughing at every little thing, especially when Robin Williams first came onscreen. I soon realized that a great many in the audience thought this was going to be a "Robin Williams comedy", and not a strange and challenging Terry Gilliam movie. By the half-way point, people were starting to exit the theater. By the end, a full third had left. Walking out afterward, I could hear multiple people grumbling and complaining about how "stupid" and "unfunny" and "terrible" the movie was. It remains one of the most negative cinema experiences I have ever had.

I enjoyed the movie myself, and have watched it many times since then.

• Like 2

By the end, a full third had left. Walking out afterward, I could hear multiple people grumbling and complaining about how "stupid" and "unfunny" and "terrible" the movie was. It remains one of the most negative cinema experiences I have ever had.

Wow Lawrence, thank you for that trip back into time. I saw it with some cinephile friends and I don't recall that kind of audience reaction. Very interesting!

Didn't it win best picture that year? I bet those grumbling people were scratching their heads.

I remember people being turned off by Williams' **** comedy schtick in the 90's. Apparently, you just can't please everybody- whether you remain the same or change.

I'm so glad Williams went on to do dramas*, he was such an incredible talent in any genre.

*THE WORLD ACCORDING TO GARP 

MOSCOW ON THE HUDSON

GOOD MORNING VIETNAM

AWAKENINGS

come to mind

• Like 2

My favorite movie depicting mental illness is 1991's THE FISHER KING.

Director Terry Gilliam shows the audience the horrific incident that sets off the charactor Perry -brilliantly played by Robin Williams- and his inability to cope and instead creating a fantasy world to live within.

I certainly agree that The Fisher King is blessed with fine performances by both Robin Williams and Jeff Bridges.

Of course, seeing Williams playing a psychologically tortured soul who couldn't deal with life is that much more poignant now in view of the actor's own tragic fate.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Repulsion (1966) ​directed by Roman Polanski starring Catherine Deneuve... when I watched this film the first time, I concluded the young lady (Deneuve) just hated the thought of a man's touch. I watched it again last year, now that I have it on DVD, my eyes opened for the first time realizing that my first impression of the woman didn't even scrape the surface of her mental illnesses. My only complaint about this film is that as a black and white movie, it had way too many shadows to make out what was what, but this poor young woman seemed to be suffering from agoraphobia (fear of open places or going outside), schizophrenia, some depression, xenophobia (fear of people)--but definitely schizophrenia. We are right there with the Deneuve character as she hallucinates, hears voices and strange sounds, and feelings of paranoia. WE become repulsed watching her live in the shadows of a dark apartment, full of disorder displayed by dirty dishes, clothes on the floor, uneaten food, and a rat or mouse that she may or may not have eaten, refusing to eat the dinner left for her by her sister. You don't know what's real or unreal through the eyes of a mentally unstable woman.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

​Frances (1982) starring Jessica Lange as "Frances Farmer" the real life actress of the 1930s/1940s who was truly a free spirit, who smoke and drank and drove fast as reckless as any other man, but due to her mother's controlling behavior (Kim Stanley) and the authorities feeling she was too wild and boisterous felt she had to be "hospitalized." Frances wasn't even mentally ill in the traditional sense, but they thought they can conform this young lady. Eventually, they wrongfully gave her a lobotomy that ruined her creativity, dulling her once vibrant personality, leaving her like a robot. Sadly, she passed away in 1970 after penning her autobiography "Will There Ever Be A Morning?" detailing her nightmarish experiences locked up in a sanitarium against her will, becoming a pariah in the acting world, thanks to her mother. Hard book to put down, but once in a while, you may have to put it aside to take in the horrible visuals very slowly... very descriptive, and graphic book. I have 2 first editions somewhere in the house.

​Jessica Lange did a superb job playing the troubled actress, while meeting second/third husband Sam Shepard also in the movie (the narrator). It was such an emotional experience, that her agent told her to do a light, funny movie after she was done Frances. One of my fave films!

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings