Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anyone Catch The Chalk Garden??

Hibi

I too enjoyed the film when I first saw it a number of years ago on PBS.  The acting is really quite good, particularly Hayley.  I see that the play is set to be revived, I think next season on Broadway, with Angela Lansbury in the Edith Evans role.

• Like 1

I hadn't seen it for years since seeing the stage version back in the day. I always wondered if Enid Bagnold had been somewhat inspired by the hidden life of fellow writer Anne Perry, who also had the former murder charge and name change. The Kerr/Evans/Mills version was nicely done also.

• Like 2

I too enjoyed the film when I first saw it a number of years ago on PBS.  The acting is really quite good, particularly Hayley.  I see that the play is set to be revived, I think next season on Broadway, with Angela Lansbury in the Edith Evans role.

WONDERFUL news! I hope she's still in good health to play it.

• Like 1

I hadn't seen it for years since seeing the stage version back in the day. I always wondered if Enid Bagnold had been somewhat inspired by the hidden life of fellow writer Anne Perry, who also had the former murder charge and name change. The Kerr/Evans/Mills version was nicely done also.

I enjoyed it, but thought the settings too posh. I had forgotten that Ross Hunter had produced it, so that explains it...

• Like 3

The play is a fine example of high theatrical art.

The film, which was written by John Michael Hayes, is a dumbed-down version.

But it is still very effective.

But I would have preferred seeing Gladys Cooper in her original Broadway role.

The play is a fine example of high theatrical art.

The film, which was written by John Michael Hayes, is a dumbed-down version.

But it is still very effective.

But I would have preferred seeing Gladys Cooper in her original Broadway role.

I wondered how different the film version was to the play..

• Like 1

Gosh, such a long time ago. I remember liking it. Deborah and Hayley is great casting. Didn't we see a dark side of Hayley, even a bit creepy. I'm not remembering too many details.

Grammarian please: Can the two names in the third sentence be considered a compound subject. Are doesn't sound right?

• Like 1

They opened up the play a bit and took advantage of some beautiful locations. I assume the film followed the play's basic outline. It didn't seem too talky, so I was wondering how much of the play got cut or changed. Guess I could read the play!

• Like 1

With the talk of Angela Lansbury reviving the character of Mrs. St. Maugham I was curious that at 90 she would be considerably older than Gladys Cooper who was about 67 during the Broadway run and Edith Evans who would have been around 76. 

I found a few of the first pages or so of the play online, and Bagnold clearly describes Laurel as a girl of 16.  I couldn't find anything about Bagnold's intended age for St. Maugham except for this description: "She is an old, over-powering, once beautiful, ex-hostess of London society."  Certainly I think Lansbury could convey a character of late-60s, early-70s age on stage.  Just an odd question that ran through my mind.

• Like 1

It's too bad that she doesnt feel she can do it. I was hoping she had one more show left in her. :( I know her last few shows were limited engagements (in that she only appeared for 2-3 months in the role and was replaced) Was hoping it would be the same type of arrangement this time and she could do it. :(

I haven't seen it in a long time and have forgotten much of the

plot. I was curious so I tuned in to watch the last hour. From

what I could gather, Hayley was a pretty typical teen, maybe

a bit of a helion, but nothing too radical and of course she

has problems with her parents. I'll watch the first half on

Watch TCM. Who wouldn't want to live in that old pile with

all the acreage to explore.

Pinkbell, an elderly butler.  Here's an exchange from the play:

St. Maugham:  He's my butler.  Forty years my butler.  Now he's had a stroke but he keeps his finger on things.

Madrigal: He carries on at death's door.

St. Maugham:  His standards rule this house.

Madrigal:  You must be fond of him.

St. Maugham:  Alas, no.  He trains Maitland--but now Maitland won't go near him.  But I shall overcome it.  He's so good with the garden.

Madrigal:  Maitland?

St. Maugham:  Pinkbell.  He directs mine from his window.  All butlers dream of gardening.

• Like 1

Isn't it time that TCM devoted at least 2 days a month to the films that were produced by Ross Hunter?

I really disliked Ron Pearlman's comment that Ross Hunter's films had to be "pretty".

That comment is such an outlandish reduction of Ross Hunter's producing credo - and heavily tainted, too, with a prevailing homophobic sentiment.

A lot of people really did dislike Ross Hunter's success.

Can TCM be counted among them?

• 2 months later...

speedracer said: I recorded it, but haven't watched it yet. I'm a big fan of Hayley Mills. I'm interested in seeing some of her non-Disney work. 

Me too. Just saw it last night. Wow.

I loved Hayley, and all the actors, really. It was fun seeing John Mills & Hayley together in a film since both of them AND Deborah Kerr are among my favorites. I was not disappointed. My first time seeing Dame Evans, and all the supporting players were excellent.

Great dialogue, great dysfunctional family story. Perfectly acted of course.

Sadly, the plot point of teen confused by her mother's abandonment is too close to reality for this household. Except we can't afford a butler & nanny! I will say the way Laurel's dialogue was written, and especially her anger towards adults was very well done. Loved it!

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings