Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Warmer waters from climate change causing fish to shrink in size, finds study

Fish could shrink in size dramatically as ocean temperatures rise because of climate change, according to a new study.

When the water gets warmer, cold-blooded fish need more oxygen. However, one of the consequences of climate change is less oxygen in the sea.

These twin effects could combine to stunt the growth of fish, the researchers concluded.

Professor William Cheung, of the University of British Columbia in Canada, who co-wrote a paper about the study in the journal Global Change Biology, said: “Fish, as cold-blooded animals, cannot regulate their own body temperatures.

“When their waters get warmer, their metabolism accelerates and they need more oxygen to sustain their body functions.

For those that believe everything they read about global warming, here is one that claims fish will be shrinking in size. Apparently fish are too dumb to swim to cooler waters according to the "scientists".

Gore documentary called ‘bad science’ as sales plummet

It was a tough weekend for Al Gore. Not only did “An Inconvenient Sequel” continue its nosedive at the box office, but the climate change documentary also drew a scathing rebuttal from a leading climate scientist.

Climatologist Roy W. Spencer, principal research scientist at the University of Alabama in Huntsville, released Saturday an 81-page e-book on Amazon titled “An Inconvenient Deception: How Al Gore Distorts Climate Science and Energy Policy.”

“After viewing Gore’s most recent movie, ‘An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power,’ and after reading the book version of the movie, I was more than a little astounded,” Mr. Spencer said on his blog, Global Warming. “The new movie and book are chock-full of bad science, bad policy, and factual errors.”

This movie has officially bombed, even a climate scientist couldn't stomach how bad it is.

Warmer waters from climate change causing fish to shrink in size, finds study

Fish could shrink in size dramatically as ocean temperatures rise because of climate change, according to a new study.

When the water gets warmer, cold-blooded fish need more oxygen. However, one of the consequences of climate change is less oxygen in the sea.

These twin effects could combine to stunt the growth of fish, the researchers concluded.

Professor William Cheung, of the University of British Columbia in Canada, who co-wrote a paper about the study in the journal Global Change Biology, said: “Fish, as cold-blooded animals, cannot regulate their own body temperatures.

“When their waters get warmer, their metabolism accelerates and they need more oxygen to sustain their body functions.

For those that believe everything they read about global warming, here is one that claims fish will be shrinking in size. Apparently fish are too dumb to swim to cooler waters according to the "scientists".

Where should they swim if there aren't any cooler waters?  

Rapper Cancels Shows After Saying He Didn't Need Eclipse Glasses

A hip-hop artist named Joey Bada$$ has been dubbed “Joey Badeyes” on social media after he bragged that he was going to watch Monday’s eclipse without protective eyewear ― and then abruptly canceled three upcoming shows.

It’s unclear why the shows were actually canceled, but the coincidence has caught a lot of people’s attention.

“Am I crazy for watching the eclipse today [with] no glasses?” Joey Bada$$, whose real name is Jo-Vaughn Virginie Scott, had tweeted on Monday. “I’ve sungazed before and afterwards saw colors for a whole day. I didn’t die tho (sic).”

He went on to argue, “This ain’t the first solar eclipse and I’m pretty sure our ancestors ain’t have no fancy eyewear. Also pretty sure they ain’t all go blind.”

They said you would be seeing stars, this guy just has them permanently in view.

Trump Administration Dissolves Federal Climate Advisory Committee

President Donald Trump’s administration has dissolved a federal panel of scientists and other experts tasked with helping create and implement new policy based on the latest climate change research findings.

That decision, members of the 15-person committee told HuffPost on Sunday, does not bode well for the future of climate change preparation and prevention during Trump’s time in office.

A spokeswoman for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, which established the panel in 2015, confirmed Sunday that the Department of Commerce would not renew the charter for the Sustained National Climate Assessment’s Federal Advisory Committee.

“Per the terms of the charter, the [committee] expired on August 20, 2017,” the emailed statement read. ”The Department of Commerce and NOAA appreciate the efforts of the Committee and offer sincere thanks to each of the Committee members for their service.”

There is no point in having an advisory committee when you know exactly what "advice" they are going to give no matter what they read. Job well done in dissolving this charade.

Rapper Cancels Shows After Saying He Didn't Need Eclipse Glasses

A hip-hop artist named Joey Bada$$ has been dubbed “Joey Badeyes” on social media after he bragged that he was going to watch Monday’s eclipse without protective eyewear ― and then abruptly canceled three upcoming shows.

It’s unclear why the shows were actually canceled, but the coincidence has caught a lot of people’s attention.

“Am I crazy for watching the eclipse today [with] no glasses?” Joey Bada$$, whose real name is Jo-Vaughn Virginie Scott, had tweeted on Monday. “I’ve sungazed before and afterwards saw colors for a whole day. I didn’t die tho (sic).”

He went on to argue, “This ain’t the first solar eclipse and I’m pretty sure our ancestors ain’t have no fancy eyewear. Also pretty sure they ain’t all go blind.”

They said you would be seeing stars, this guy just has them permanently in view.

Will soon be known as Joey Blindeyes.

Will soon be known as Joey Blindeyes.

joe stupid center burnout peepers. actually, we should feel sorry for him. it has long been said there is no price you can put on the sense of sight. unfortunately, joe insisted on learning this lesson the hard way.

1 Day After Solar Eclipse, Thousands Experience Eye Problems

A day after the eclipse, some Coloradans are feeling the burn. Optometrists and ophthalmologists across the Denver metro area are seeing a surge in patients complaining of eye discomfort caused by the eclipse.

For weeks, residents have been warned to wear special glasses when viewing the solar spectacle. Now, many of those residents are spending time in the doctor’s office.

“After the eclipse was over, I started feeling like I had stared at the sun. When I went to bed last night I woke up and I had had some swelling, some pain in my eyes. I thought I better get in to the eye doctor.

Without protection, the intense light of the sun can cause permanent damage to the retina, and in extreme cases blindness.

Lots of people are still seeing stars, I'm sure a few of them are even "scientists".

How will global warming affect wood frogs?

A far-ranging study of wood frogs have found that the bog-breeding amphibians could be vulnerable to global warming at the southern edge of their range, and that the population could shift northward, similar to many other species.

But the research, covering more than 740 wood frog populations in 27 different areas, also showed some nuance in the response to climate change. That makes it hard to determine which species and which populations are in danger of declining or disappearing, according to researcher David Miller, assistant professor of wildlife population ecology at Penn State.Local and regional precipitation trends are nearly as important as temperature in determining the fate of many animals, he explained, and that’s especially true with moisture-sensitive creatures such as amphibians.

Miller said wood frogs are an ideal species to study to develop predictions about how animals will respond to warming. They are cold-weather frogs with a range that extends farther north than other amphibians. As such, they have evolved with some amazing adaptations, not the least of which is the ability to survive freezing solid in winters.

They're still freezing solid in winter and you're worried about global warming? lol

1 Day After Solar Eclipse, Thousands Experience Eye Problems

A day after the eclipse, some Coloradans are feeling the burn. Optometrists and ophthalmologists across the Denver metro area are seeing a surge in patients complaining of eye discomfort caused by the eclipse.

For weeks, residents have been warned to wear special glasses when viewing the solar spectacle. Now, many of those residents are spending time in the doctor’s office.

“After the eclipse was over, I started feeling like I had stared at the sun. When I went to bed last night I woke up and I had had some swelling, some pain in my eyes. I thought I better get in to the eye doctor.

Without protection, the intense light of the sun can cause permanent damage to the retina, and in extreme cases blindness.

Lots of people are still seeing stars, I'm sure a few of them are even "scientists".

people need to watch the british science fiction film Day of the Triffids with Howard Keel. :)

How one climate skeptic is making life ‘Inconvenient’ for Al Gore

A self-published e-book by a leading climate skeptic challenging the science behind Al Gore’s “An Inconvenient Sequel” is outselling the film’s companion book on Amazon.

Mr. Gore’s book was ranked 16,459th among paid Amazon e-books as of midday Friday, while the e-book “An Inconvenient Deception: How Al Gore Distorts Climate Science and Energy Policy,” was ranked 328th.

The 81-page rebuttal was written by climatologist Roy W. Spencer, principal research scientist at the University of Alabama in Huntsville, who criticized the Gore movie and book as “chock-full of bad science, bad policy, and factual errors.”

In a head-to-head matchup in the Amazon category of climatology, the Spencer book was ranked first Thursday while Mr. Gore’s handbook came in 11th.

The Al Gore movie bombed, and now the book has bombed as well. So sad.

Agriculture a culprit in global warming, says U.S. research

Agriculture has contributed nearly as much to climate change as deforestation by intensifying global warming, according to U.S. research that has quantified the amount of carbon taken from the soil by farming.

Some 133 billion tons of carbon have been removed from the top two meters of the earth’s soil over the last two centuries by agriculture at a rate that is increasing, said the study in PNAS, a journal published by the National Academy of Sciences.

Global warming is largely due to the accumulation of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere from such activities as burning fossil fuels and cutting down trees that otherwise would absorb greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide.

But this research showed the significance of agriculture as a contributing factor as well, said Jonathan Sanderman, a soil scientist at the Woods Hole Research Center in Falmouth, Massachusetts and one of the authors of the research.

For those the believe everything they read about global warming, here is another scam report. This time they blame agriculture of all things.

Agriculture has contributed nearly as much to climate change as deforestation by intensifying global warming, according to U.S. research that has quantified the amount of carbon taken from the soil by farming.

Some 133 billion tons of carbon have been removed from the top two meters of the earth’s soil over the last two centuries by agriculture at a rate that is increasing, said the study in PNAS, a journal published by the National Academy of Sciences.

Global warming is largely due to the accumulation of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere from such activities as burning fossil fuels and cutting down trees that otherwise would absorb greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide.

But this research showed the significance of agriculture as a contributing factor as well, said Jonathan Sanderman, a soil scientist at the Woods Hole Research Center in Falmouth, Massachusetts and one of the authors of the research.

For those the believe everything they read about global warming, here is another scam report. This time they blame agriculture of all things.

vegetarians will like that.  :D

Guess tree huggers are glad those below are not contributing..

article-2133992-129A8260000005DC-629_634

An Inconvenient Deception: How Al Gore Distorts Climate Science and Energy Policy

After viewing Gore’s most recent movie, An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power, and after reading the book version of the movie, I was more than a little astounded. The new movie and book are chock-full of bad science, bad policy, and factual errors.

One of Gore’s favorite tactics is to show something that happens naturally, then claim (or have you infer) that it is due to humanity’s greenhouse gas emissions. As I discuss in the book, this is what he did in his first movie (An Inconvenient Truth), too.

For example, sea level rise. Gore is seen surveying flooded streets in Miami Beach.

That flooding is mostly a combination of (1) natural sea level rise (I show there has been no acceleration of sea level rise beyond what was already happening since the 1800s), and (2) satellite-measured sinking of the reclaimed swamps that have been built upon for over 100 years in Miami Beach.

In other words, Miami Beach was going to have to deal with the increasing flooding from their “king tides”, with or without carbon dioxide emissions.

Gore is also shown jumping across meltwater streams on the Greenland ice sheet. No mention is made that this happens naturally every year. Sure, 2012 was exceptional for its warmth and snow melt (which he mentioned), but then 2017 came along and did just the opposite with record snow accumulation, little melt, and the coldest temperature ever recorded in the Northern Hemisphere for a July.

The fact that receding glaciers in Alaska are revealing stumps from ancient forests that grew 1,000 to 2,000 years ago proves that climate varies naturally, and glaciers advance and recede without any help from humans.

Some of what Gore claims is just outright false. He says that wheat and corn yields in China are down by 5% in recent decades. Wrong. They have been steadily climbing, just like almost everywhere else in the world.

And that lack of rainfall in Syria that supposedly caused conflict and war? It didn’t happen. Poor farmers could no longer afford diesel fuel to pump groundwater because Assad tripled the price. Semi-arid Syria is no place to grow enough crops for a rapidly growing population, anyway.

I also address Gore’s views on alternative energy, mainly wind and solar. It is obvious that Gore does not consider government subsidies when he talks about the “cost” of renewable energy sometimes being cheaper than fossil fuels. Apparently, he hasn’t heard that the citizens pay the taxes that then support the alternative energy industries which Gore, Elon Musk and others financially benefit from.

Any Al Gore believers out there need to read the truth about his scam going on. Try and forget politics for a moment, and just go on facts. This guy destroys Al Gore and his claims about global warming. it's over folks. They can keep the scam going, but the movie bombed for a reason. This is why they will not debate this with experts, they know they will be exposed.

• Like 1

According to the bible the universe is only a few thousand years old, is it not?  

That is a common misconception based on one cleric's misunderstanding of older cultures and their usage of terms. The Bible provides no dates. 

It is in many ways similar to the statement that Medieval alchemists produced gold from base metals. To see the truth in this requires the knowledge and understanding that: 'gold' at that time was defined as: "a malleable yellow metal which does not tarnish." It did not at the time mean: "a transition metal with atomic number seventy-nine and atomic weight of ~197." 

• Like 1

That is a common misconception based on one cleric's misunderstanding of older cultures and their usage of terms. The Bible provides no dates. 

It is in many ways similar to the statement that Medieval alchemists produced gold from base metals. To see the truth in this requires the knowledge and understanding that: 'gold' at that time was defined as: "a malleable yellow metal which does not tarnish." It did not at the time mean: "a transition metal with atomic number seventy-nine and atomic weight of ~197." 

After the incredibly busy 7 days that God had in Genesis the bible picks up with the family tree of Adam and Eve and scholars (if one can call them that) have added up all the begats and arrived at the age of the universe which is no more than a few thousand years old.

All of the begats are listed so there is no misconception I'm afraid.  Speaking literally of course.

The 6,000 year old universe worked for a long time. But then it became

harder and harder for believers to support it in the face of what science

was proving, so they...evolved. So that was dropped, though a minority

still believe in it. Similar to the six days of creation. A day was 24 hours.

Then that wouldn't work either, so a day became rather elastic, could

be 24 hours, could be a couple billion years. When science advances,

that old time religion sometimes has to retreat. :(