Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Has anyone read posthumous *Kate Hepburn book?

spencerl964

As most are aware that read what I do write on these tremendous forums-(hope we don't lose out in the battle with AMC???) Anyway, most have by now likely seen/heard of a new autobiography by an author alledgedly through *Katharine Hepburn-(1907-2003) That was to be released only upon her demise. Welp, it's certainly out! Even the reg. news had a bit on it. & when people think & or speak of this legendary lady, my all-time #1 Idol: *"The Great: Spencer Tracy"-(1900-67) Is always & immediately connected! I am in contact with his family as well.-(but cannot go any further on here, without approval of TRACY FAMILY!) I'm sure they are pretty dusgusted with this though! I'll find-out. But I want for ANYBODY to even drop me a personal line if you've gotten this book, read-it,etc. At; spencer64@ij.net or spencer1964@hotmail.com-(the latter e-mail I don't like though) 1 of my pals from these forums even immediately notified me of said book. I just want to see if anybody has gotten-it. It'd be kinda' rare, since it seems it just hit bookshelves yesterday? But please remember me & I thank You

Spencer - I read an article about this book in one of the N.Y. papers yesterday, and it sounds pretty disgusting. They say that Hepburn had a lesbian relationship at one point, which I don't believe is true. They also say that she was "fascinated" by Michael Jackson, and had him over to dinner at her townhouse in N.Y., but kicked him out when he tried to get her to introduce him to Garbo. They also said that Tracy slapped her around once, when he was drunk. And the author said that he was told this story by Hepburn herself. That one I can believe - and I don't say that against Tracy, but if anyone has dealt with an alcoholic, they can tell you that they do some crazy things that they usually don't remember. It sounds like a trashy book, looking to sensationalize her life rather than celebrate it - Kitty Kelley style. Hopefully it has some merit to it.

I haven't read it yet, but I intend to as soon as possible. I understand that the media may be sensationalizing anything they can, stretch the truth, or even claim that it contains certain things it doesn't. This is the job of the media. Dirt sells papers.

HOWEVER, I expect the book will be excellent. Why? Well, the author is A. Scott Berg who wrote a fabulous biography of Charles A. Lindbergh (that I read) for which he won the Pulitzer Prize, the National Book Award, and more. From what I've read since Ms. Hepburn's passing, Mr. Berg became acquainted with her in 1983 and she collaborated with him in the project. Knowing the kind of indepth research that Mr. Berg did writing his Lindbergh novel (verifying every detail), I doubt very much that he just regurgitated a bunch of claims made by Ms. Hepburn about others without making sure that they were true. Of course, there may be some direct quotes from her about others that may be unflattering (or just her opinion, which require no verification), but I'd rather read an honest account of her thoughts and feelings than a "politically correct" version any day.

I would be very interested to read opinions posted here from anyone WHO HAS ACTUALLY READ the book vs. those second hand or from the media. I also didn't know, until this book was "announced", that Mr. Berg wrote a biography of Samuel Goldwyn. I will probably buy and read that book first (since it's already in paperback;-)

Moviejoe, on *Spence & slapping her. I have cross read on-it & It seems to have happened, but only once. & as I am now good pals with *TRACY FAMILY-(I must use discretion & all of course) But he was a binge-drinking alcoholic, which is something quite different. I know from experience. Days on end,etc But he had other THINGS HAPPEN OF THAT NATURE-(I'll phrase-it that way) But not ever to Mrs. Tracy or *Kate again. See I have in my cinema library an autobiography of/by: *James Cagney himself, as well. & he knew full well of his pal & this matter. But they were still great pals to *Spence's end anyway.

Path40a,

I haven't had a chance to read the Lindbergh bio by A. Scott Berg or the new Hepburn book yet, but based on his wonderful bio of Samuel Goldwyn and even better bio of legendary editor Maxwell Perkins (he's the man at Scribner's publishing house who nurtured Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Wolfe, James Jones and Margaret Kinnan Rawlings, among others), I can't wait to read the author's memoir of his friendship. The Goldwyn book is, I think, one of the best Hollywood biographies ever, along with another book that could serve as a companion piece, "A World of Our Own" by Neal Gabler. Mr. Gabler outlines the studio bosses' lives--showing how these struggling, ruthless, and, ultimately, idealistic businessmen, were also perennial outsiders even as they helped to shape Americans' vision of themselves through the power of the movies.

I've just caught Berg on CBS's Sunday Morning show re: Katharine Hepburn. He was obviously enchanted with the lady and mentioned that when she visited Michael Jackson at his home once, found that he literally didn't know how to make his own bed, though she tried to get him to learn...she was apparently puzzled by his strangeness and referred to him as "E.T."...I don't think it qualifies as dirt, but I'm amused by the reported story of Miss Hepburn calling for a whiskey after spending an evening with Jackson. As to the story of Tracy striking her at least once, Berg mentions that Hepburn's response to it was forgiveness, since Tracy was too drunk to know he'd done it. If you've ever known, or loved, anyone who struggles with alcoholism, it's credible, as is her understanding. Ah, the power of love is real and, at times, is the only thing that makes reality bearable. I hope to get a copy of the book soon.