Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

I think we should all stop and think before we complain. We should be grateful we still have a channel devoted to showing us these wonderful old films commercial free and in original formatting. There aren't too many other ones out there any more. Most changed and added in a zillion commercials. I for one a extremely happy with TCM. You may not like every movie they show but they cant please everyone with every movie. Whether the movies are from the 30s or the 70s they can still be a classic. TCM has a wonderful selection of movies to choose from and I am very glad they show them the way they do.

YEAH TCM !

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to complain about people who complain about complaining, LOL!!! Everyone's entitled to my -- er, I mean THEIR opinion, and I've never understood folks who recoil at a disagreement or debate. It wouldn't be much of a message board, now would it, if we all just nodded our heads in agreement at how great every movie was??? We all obviously love TCM or we wouldn't be watching the station or posting on these forums; beyond that, I say agree to disagree and don't have such a thin skin about it. Viva la difference, live and let live, other aphorisms.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We all

> obviously love TCM or we wouldn't be watching the

> station or posting on these forums;

 

I don't know that I totally agree with that. I think most of us do, but there are are 1 or 2 posters on here who have made it their mission to come on here and make snide remarks about TCM any and every chance they get.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would anyone waste their time doing that unless they have a real interest in the station??? I know some may give that impression, but I doubt (and hope) they're not just out to criticize; at least mine is a LOVING, constructive gripe???

 

All I'm saying it, in ALL walks of society today, it seems the worse thing you can do is "be negative" or "argue"; at one time this was called "debate" and was considered a fun and healthy mental exercise??? But that was before the age of Pollyanna (not the movie)... "To be negative about something bad is positive"!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

at least mine is a

> LOVING, constructive gripe???

 

I know yours is. The people I'm thinking of(who will remain nameless) never have anything positive to say about ANYTHING, much less TCM. I suspect they have issues that cause them to spout negativity constantly, but it's neither here nor there to me. I do my best to ignore them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is an art to disagreeing. There's a way for someone to get their point across without the baseball bat approach. Some people, at times, resort to name calling and personal responses rather than the content of the comments. That does nothing to advance a position or prove your point.

 

It seems to have eased up overall in the last several weeks. Let's hope it continues.

Link to post
Share on other sites

movieman1957 wrote -

"There is an art to disagreeing. There's a way for someone to get their point across without the baseball bat approach.

 

I couldn't agree more. It takes time and effort but it can be done. But when reaching common ground with a person with which one disagrees, it is a wonderful experience. I found a new internet "friend" because of it. See this thread started by JonParker - who I truly value around here - about the film Babes In Arms.

 

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=78113&start=45#7783228

 

And from my experience, friends are much more valuable than enemies.

 

Kyle In Hollywood

Link to post
Share on other sites

> I would like to complain about people who complain

> about complaining, LOL!!! Everyone's entitled to my

> -- er, I mean THEIR opinion, and I've never

> understood folks who recoil at a disagreement or

> debate. It wouldn't be much of a message board, now

> would it, if we all just nodded our heads in

> agreement at how great every movie was??? We all

> obviously love TCM or we wouldn't be watching the

> station or posting on these forums; beyond that, I

> say agree to disagree and don't have such a thin skin

> about it. Viva la difference, live and let live,

> other aphorisms.

 

 

Good post otterhere. My sentiments exactly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that we should learn (or should've learned, by adulthood) to disagree respectfully, without name-calling or abuse. That would go without saying?

 

But I maintain that "all that is necessary for the progression of evil is for good men to do nothing"; when I see changes I don't like, by gum, I'm gonna object to them.

 

Doesn't mean I don't, for the most part, love and appreciate TCM (for the record)!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love TCM. It's got a great variety of films and there's at least one interesting film to watch 5 out of the 7 days of the week for me. I don't know how someone can complain too much about the programming but I don't begrudge folks for making their point known. I just don't like the bickering and baseless name calling that sometimes happens. This goes for discussions about just about anything.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Otterhere,

 

I think we are all in agreement about not liking the name calling. As for the programming arguments, I think this may be the subject that has been debated/argued the longest. This argument has been going on for the four years I have been here and folks that have been here longer say it's been going on almost from the beginning of the message boards.

 

Round One: Group A says TCM programming is changing for the worse with the inclusion of more post-1960 films. Group B begs to differ.

 

Round Two: Group A begs to differ with Group B. Someone, usually Filmlover, will find ten year old copies of Now Playing, go through them and post the stats. The stats support Group B's argument. Not because Filmlover put in the fix but because the facts really do support the argument.

 

Round Three: Group A will pooh-pooh the stats and the work that went into gathering the stats. Someone, usually Kyle, will fire up the Wayback Machine, do some sleuthing of his own, post the facts that he has found and provide links. Group B will back him up.

 

Round Four: Group A will continue to disagree despite the evidence. Group B will counter argue. Somewhere along the line the disagreement will take a turn for the worse and name-calling and insults will start to fly.

 

Round Five: Both groups will refuse to budge on their beliefs, the arguing will get shriller and more nasty. Many posters will start ignoring the thread all together.

 

Round Six: The thread will finally die a quiet death. By then, posters are mad at one another and hurt feelings are an issue, some after many months of arguing decide they have better things to do and leave, the majority are relieved that the thread has died.

 

But like every creature of the undead, the thread is not dead. It will be revived by the next full moon and come back to live in a whole new thread and the arguing will go on, every month of every year.

 

Thus it has all been, say the old timers and from the looks of things, thus it shall always be.

Link to post
Share on other sites

"The Thread That Would Not Die" (1950s)... "The Thread That Would Not Die II" (1960s)... "Die, Thread, Die" (1970s)... "Die, Thread, Die: The Sequel" (1980s)... DEAD THREAD HEAD (1990s)... buy the boxed set for only $1,000,000 (2007)...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great post, lzcutter.

 

And here's something interesting I noticed. The people who defend TCM's schedule (such as you or me or Kyle) actually do all the work and come up the facts of the statistics. I've yet to see otterhere and sweetbabykmd come up with one bit of research they have done. Seems they like to lay back and let others do everything.

 

Come on, otter and kmd, do the work, research, show us your facts by the numbers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm *supposed* to be working (shhhh); besides which...

 

I'm more the instinctual type; not very computer savvy. But I trust your stats and wouldn't for one moment doubt their accuracy, so feel free to run your EXCEL???

 

See; I probably didn't even spell it correctly!!!

 

Is there some reason you DON'T want to break down the Dec/Jan lineup by year?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Otter,

 

Here's the link to Filmlover's post on the January schedule that includes post-1970s films:

 

 

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=94162&tstart=0&start=0

 

The December schedule has already been taken down.

 

<>

 

I'm getting confused. Do you want a breakdown of each decade or just the post-1970s films?

 

Also, please note, that complying this info takes a bit of time and isn't done quickly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

otterhere, hello, did you read what I posted in the March schedule thread? I said the online schedule for December only lists from December 16th on, so it is useless to use. January, I gave you the stats from 1970-on.

 

But I trust your stats and wouldn't for one moment doubt their accuracy

 

If you think I am not accurate in my numbers, check the schedules yourself:

 

http://turnerclassicmovies.com/schedule/month/?cid=&oid=12/1/2006

 

http://turnerclassicmovies.com/schedule/month/?cid=&oid=1/1/2007

 

http://turnerclassicmovies.com/schedule/month/?cid=&oid=3/1/2007

 

I feel a breakdown by year from 1901-on only provides too much data, and the point is showing the total number of 1970-on films in the prime-time schedule.

 

If you want a year breakdown, do some work yourself.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've yet to see otterhere

> and sweetbabykmd come up with one bit of research

> they have done. Seems they like to lay back and let

> others do everything.

>

> Come on, otter and kmd, do the work, research, show

> us your facts by the numbers.

 

Not only that, but Sweetbabykmd will still say you're wrong no matter how much evidence you come up with.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> Great post, lzcutter.

>

> And here's something interesting I noticed. The

> people who defend TCM's schedule (such as you or me

> or Kyle) actually do all the work and come up the

> facts of the statistics. I've yet to see otterhere

> and sweetbabykmd come up with one bit of research

> they have done. Seems they like to lay back and let

> others do everything.

>

> Come on, otter and kmd, do the work, research, show

> us your facts by the numbers.

 

I happen to be at work during the day and don't have time to do things like that, plus I don't know how to find old schedules. In the evenings I rarely get to use my computer since my daughter uses it. I don't "lay back" for your information. How rude.

Link to post
Share on other sites

"But I trust your stats and wouldn't for one moment doubt their accuracy"

 

"If you think I am not accurate in my numbers, check the schedules yourself"

 

Now, see; THIS is where it starts getting nasty.. I just said that I DON'T doubt your accuracy (and I wasn't being facetious)... Mmmm, mmm, mmmmmmm...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I happen to be at work during the day and don't have time to do things like that, plus I don't know how to find old schedules.

 

links are provided in a post a little further down.

 

I am at work, too, and busy but still have listed the info for your benefit.

 

And it is hard to consider that you think I am rude.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't posted anything rude here, but your comment and your little sidekick's were indeed rude in my opinion. Otterhere is right, this is how things start getting nasty, but for some reason the wrong folks are blamed every time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...