Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[i]The Pirate[/i] (1948)


bobhopefan1940

Recommended Posts

Well, they usually try to have the very best transfer for the DVDs, unlike the versions shown on TC which aren't always the best.

 

As for features, I'd hope it would be a little like other MGM musicals that have been released lately, with some nice cartoons, maybe a short documentary, trailers, etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The original script by Anita Loos and Joseph Than included a role for Lena Horne as a Caribbean dressmaker, which was later cut.

 

When one dance sequence was being rehearsed, Harold Nicholas was just going through the motions, and Gene Kelly accused him of not knowing the routine - so Nicholas danced the whole routine, alone, full-out and flawlessly. Kelly was speechless.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> The torrid romance enacted by Judy Garland and Gene

> Kelly in the song-and-dance number Voodoo so enraged

> Louis B Mayer that he demanded that the negative be

> burned.

 

Yes, I read that. But just because they are "demanded" doesn't always mean that takes place ;) Well, you can't blame me for hoping :P

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Pirate and Yolanda and the Thief are also some of my favorite ones in that they were very innovative and daring and in some ways may have been ahead of their time, making it harder for them to catch on with the public during their initial release.

 

If we can get at least a dozen MGM musicals to be released on DVD this year, I'll be one happy gal, that's for sure! B-)

Link to post
Share on other sites

i had heard--or read somewhere-- that it was kelly's solo that was considered to erotic and had to be toned down and reshot. this is the first time i'm hearing about a garland-kelly duet being cut from this film!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

> I am puzzled as to how something that was written for

> a 40's movie could ever have made it to the stage of

> being filmed if it was deemed too "erotic"! :0

 

I don't know... Some other ideas GK had ran into trouble with the sensors. He was a very suggestive dancer, wouldn't you say? Much more so than, say, DOC or FA. As Anatomy Of A Dancer sort of hinted at, his dancing was very masculine in order to over shadow the stigma that came with the male ballet dancer. Thus, I have to say GK is one of the sexiest of all classic actors! :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

> I don't know... Some other ideas GK had ran into

> trouble with the sensors. He was a very suggestive

> dancer, wouldn't you say? Much more so than, say, DOC

> or FA. As Anatomy Of A Dancer sort of hinted

> at, his dancing was very masculine in order to over

> shadow the stigma that came with the male ballet

> dancer. Thus, I have to say GK is one of the sexiest

> of all classic actors! :)

 

That is a good point, Danny! :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

> i had heard--or read somewhere-- that it was kelly's

> solo that was considered to erotic and had to be

> toned down and reshot. this is the first time i'm

> hearing about a garland-kelly duet being cut from

> this film!!

 

Well, from what I understand the whole dance came about during the "Mac The Black" number, when Judy's character is under hypnosis. Judy and Gene were suppose to dance together there, performing "Voodoo," but then once that was thrown out it was replaced with "Mack the Black." If you watch it tonight, notice how Gene stays out of the number entirely.

 

I know it was the way Gene danced that made them toss the number, but I'm sure it was also the subject matter of the song. The movie already is quite suggestive for its time, I think this scene was cut for a number of reasons (to my dismay).

Link to post
Share on other sites

> > i had heard--or read somewhere-- that it was

> kelly's

> > solo that was considered to erotic and had to be

> > toned down and reshot. this is the first time i'm

> > hearing about a garland-kelly duet being cut from

> > this film!!

>

> Well, from what I understand the whole dance came

> about during the "Mac The Black" number, when Judy's

> character is under hypnosis. Judy and Gene were

> suppose to dance together there, performing "Voodoo,"

> but then once that was thrown out it was replaced

> with "Mack the Black." If you watch it tonight,

> notice how Gene stays out of the number entirely.

>

> I know it was the way Gene danced that made

> them toss the number, but I'm sure it was also the

> subject matter of the song. The movie already is

> quite suggestive for its time, I think this scene was

> cut for a number of reasons (to my dismay).

 

Fascinating stuff, too bad certain things just couldn't get past the censors back in the day. :(

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...